Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Just got my Sony Reader PRS-700!

So, I live in Australia and I just got my Sony Reader PRS-700 delivered to my door from B&H. Great service from them, and super fast shipping time!

WOW! It's much smaller than I expected, but it weights a little more than I expected too. Not that either of those are a bad thing, in fact I like them.

Now in regards to the screen, I have yet to read anything on it, but I think it's perfectly fine! I've not seen another eInk screen before, so I can't make a comparison, but I went outside in the quit hot and brght day and it's VERY readable. In my room with the lights off and just the ambient light from the closed blinds, it's still very reasonable. Worse comes to worse I just flick the light on and it becomes perfectly fine again.

The only nagging aspect is the side lighting bleed, but I expected that rom photos/videos. Just thought sony could have some up with a better solution, but anything that allows me to read in the night is a winner for me.

On the quick flicks of the demo books, it's damn fast! Faster than any reader i've seen video of, and even videos of the PRS-700 i've seen.

So, now for the real experiment! What do you all recommend I read? Also were are your favorite places to buy eBooks?
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, SubElement, and welcome to MobileRead.

How about trying Richard Herley's books "Refuge"? Its our book club book of the month. So far I'm 1/2 way thru it and I think its a great read.

You can download it for free here

http://www.richardherley.com/

Discussions will begin towards the end of the month.

Congratulations on your new reader.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the lighting you really wont complain about after you use it twice, like you said, if it allows me to read in the dark...

here are all the ebook store https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

make sure anything you buy can actually be read on the sony reader.
Check out the LRF section of the downloads on this site as well.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Glad you got it! I second DG vote of "Refuge," we always want people to join in on our discussions. Any genres you like to read?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Thanks! I've given the book a download and will start reading it shortly!

I didn't know there was a BookClub on Mobileread?! Do you have your own forum?

Also, I enjoy Sci-Fi Fantasy mostly, but I do also enjoy Crime and Thrillers and some Horror.
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Thanks! I've given the book a download and will start reading it shortly!

I didn't know there was a BookClub on Mobileread?! Do you have your own forum?

Also, I enjoy Sci-Fi Fantasy mostly, but I do also enjoy Crime and Thrillers and some Horror.
We have a group here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=11

We've already voted for this month's here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37219

The discussion won't start until the end of the month (so people have time to read it). It'll pop up in the Reading Recommendations as a sticky.

Also, if you like SciFi and horror APEX publications just put a lot of their books up on fictionwise for $3.99. I'm picking this one up today:
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook81615.htm?cache

So many links! Weee!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello SubElement, enjoy the 700 and stay safe from those nasty fires down there
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. I was holding out for a Kindle 2.0, but when one wasn't announced in Oct/Nov., I decided to go for the 700. Boy, am I glad I did! I'm not going to diss the Kindle, as it has its advantages, however, the 700 was perfect for my use. I love the virtual keyboard and the frontlight for nighttime reading.

For my reading, I use Manybooks, Feedbooks, FictionWise (!), and the Sony bookstore. So far everything has been either free or not above $13 USD. Right now I have 50 books loaded on my reader, but I've probably read at least 7-12 of them and haven't bothered to delete them yet.

Quote:
So, I live in Australia and I just got my Sony Reader PRS-700 delivered to my door from B&H. Great service from them, and super fast shipping time!

WOW! It's much smaller than I expected, but it weights a little more than I expected too. Not that either of those are a bad thing, in fact I like them.

Now in regards to the screen, I have yet to read anything on it, but I think it's perfectly fine! I've not seen another eInk screen before, so I can't make a comparison, but I went outside in the quit hot and brght day and it's VERY readable. In my room with the lights off and just the ambient light from the closed blinds, it's still very reasonable. Worse comes to worse I just flick the light on and it becomes perfectly fine again.

The only nagging aspect is the side lighting bleed, but I expected that rom photos/videos. Just thought sony could have some up with a better solution, but anything that allows me to read in the night is a winner for me.

On the quick flicks of the demo books, it's damn fast! Faster than any reader i've seen video of, and even videos of the PRS-700 i've seen.

So, now for the real experiment! What do you all recommend I read? Also were are your favorite places to buy eBooks?
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:

Also, I enjoy Sci-Fi Fantasy mostly,
Well, um...I've got some freebies for you, then.

If you go to my downloads page, you can download my Chaos Chronicles Books 1-3 in your choice of LRF or EPUB, the new one (Sunborn) in PDF, and Battlestar Galactica in PDF or EPUB.

Plus there's tons of good SF/F in the library here.

Enjoy your 700! I love mine. (In fact, I just loaded a bunch of work from the preliminary Nebula ballot onto it from the SFWA members page. This will be the first year I'm not carrying around a big stack of printouts to read.)
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
Thales
Nerd
Thales began at the beginning.

Cool features???

Hey everyone,
I have the PRS-505 and love it. I am strongly considering upgrading to the PRS-700. Is it worth it? How is the refresh rate compared to the PRS-505?

I mostly use my PRS-505 for reference guides and technical documents so the ability to flip between pages quickly is highly desired. Which of the following features are available (which are lacking in the 505):

-The ability to mark up documents (not just text annotate but actually mark up- like hand written math symbols and such)
-The ability to quickly switch between documents (instead of pressing menu 10,000,000 times)
-The ability to entitle your bookmarks instead of just having a reference to page number
- A page scroll bar
-The ability to reference multiple dictionaries such as mobiread dictionaries

Any of these?
I know the iRex Digital reader can do all of this for $859.00 but geez...

Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
Thales
Nerd
Thales began at the beginning.

Oh yeah,
Does it support multi-level folders? The 505 allows you to organize things into collections but I have well over 500 books on my 505. I would like to be able to categorize them into subdirectories such as:

..................................Physics
......................................|
.............Experimental -----------Theoretical
....................|............................. ...|
..........---------------- ...........---------------
.........|...........|.........|............|..... ....|.........|
......Solid.....Nuclear...Optics...Classical...|.. .....Quantum Field
......State....................................Nuc lear........Theory
.................................................S tructure

Something like that...

(Sorry for the periods, when I first posted this, mobile read deleted all the spaces. See the periods as whitespace.

Last edited by Thales; 02-10-2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Preserve diagram...
Thales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Well, um...I've got some freebies for you, then.

If you go to my downloads page, you can download my Chaos Chronicles Books 1-3 in your choice of LRF or EPUB, the new one (Sunborn) in PDF, and Battlestar Galactica in PDF or EPUB. )
If you like scifi, these are some very good books. The only negative is that I've read all of them and now have to wait for a new one to be written!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Hey everyone,
I have the PRS-505 and love it. I am strongly considering upgrading to the PRS-700. Is it worth it? How is the refresh rate compared to the PRS-505?

I mostly use my PRS-505 for reference guides and technical documents so the ability to flip between pages quickly is highly desired. Which of the following features are available (which are lacking in the 505):

-The ability to mark up documents (not just text annotate but actually mark up- like hand written math symbols and such)
-The ability to quickly switch between documents (instead of pressing menu 10,000,000 times)
-The ability to entitle your bookmarks instead of just having a reference to page number
- A page scroll bar
-The ability to reference multiple dictionaries such as mobiread dictionaries

Any of these?
I know the iRex Digital reader can do all of this for $859.00 but geez...

I have only the 700, so can't address the comparative refresh rate. As for the others:

1. Markup -- Not as you describe, no. You can highlight, and add notes. It's a little cumbersome.
2. Switch docs -- If you're switching within a collection, it's just a couple of taps. And a few seconds wait.
3. Bookmarks -- It automatically includes the top line of text. Beyond that, not sure.
4. Scroll bar -- During ordinary reading, you see a page count, not a scroll bar. If you press Option and Go to Page, you get a scroll bar.
5. Dictionaries -- Nada, an unfortunate omission
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
Staz
Staz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales View Post
Hey everyone,
Do you read the pdfs on your PRS-505 directly, or do you first convert them to another format such as LRF? I am very interested in your technique as it sounds like you've had good success with technical docs!
Staz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Hi SubElement, I am also from Australia. I have been considering the Sony PRS-700, and also the 505 and iRex iLiad and DR1000S. I am yet to decide. *sigh*.
I will be interested to hear what you think after you have had more time to spend with it. I am also interested to hear how you go with it from an Australian point of view, for example, how easy/hard it is to find books.

I currently have a few PDF's for technical books, but will also buy new novels once I get my reader and know what format to buy for. I like the look of the Sony, but I guess I just want to determine if my existing PDFs will be viewable on it or if I should go with one of the iRex devices instead, keeping in mind that they are practically double the price here in Australia.

Jodi
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote