Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it be ok to post a link to the changes as long as the changes were posted someplace else?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that would be fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
I'm using version 0.05 and have successfully stripped many files. However I have one that it doesn’t work with; I get a message saying “Invalid file format”. This file is readable using Mobipocket software, and Calibre recognises it as a valid mobi file. Any ideas on how I can investigate further to solve the problem?

Cheers
Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
I get a message saying “Invalid file format”.
This should only happen if the file does not have "BOOKMOBI" starting at byte 61, see Wiki: PDB. This should be the case for all recent MOBI's, but very early ones used to have "TEXtREAd" (i.e. they pretended to be PalmDOC ebooks).

Use a text editor to see what your ebook contains. If it has "TEXtREAd", did you download it recently? I am surprised no one has come across a "TEXtREAd" with DRM before now if they exist.

EDIT: My guess is that this ebook has "TEXtREAd", but it is not encrypted. So you don't need mobidedrm at all.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-10-2009 at 10:55 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
wmaurer
Enthusiast

You're right, the file format is "TEXtREAd", but it's also encrypted according to Calibre. I commented out the check in mobidedrm to ignore the header, but then I got the error message "invalid encryption type: 1" - the script is expecting the crypto_type to be 2. I tried commenting out this check, but then the script fails later on somewhere in the unpack method. To me, it looks as if a different encryption algorithm is being used.

I only purchased this book a couple of days ago; it was purchased directly from the publisher.

-Wayne
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
To me, it looks as if a different encryption algorithm is being used.
If you open it in Windows MobiPocket Reader and right click on the ebook in the ebook view and select properties -> summary what is shown in the encryption: entry?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
wmaurer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you open it in Windows MobiPocket Reader and right click on the ebook in the ebook view and select properties -> summary what is shown in the encryption: entry?
I'm sorry, I can't do that as I don't have Windows, and I can't seem to get that info from the Palm MobiPocket reader or from the Cybook. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited by wmaurer; 01-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've read thru thread after thread, installed python, copied so many scripts I'm blue in the face and no matter what I've tried I've never gotten past "Bad Key Length!" I guess I won't fret too much as I haven't purchased that many Mobi DRM'd books.

I'm giving up totally on anything except MS LIT which has a system I've actually managed to use.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #24
wmaurer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Wallcraft, I can't get Windows MobiPocket Reader working properly under Wine. Can I send you the DRM'd file so that you can see what MobiPocket Reader reports?

Your help is appreciated.
-Wayne
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Wallcraft, I can't get Windows MobiPocket Reader working properly under Wine. Can I send you the DRM'd file so that you can see what MobiPocket Reader reports?

Your help is appreciated.
-Wayne
I do not know if mobi2mobi detects the drm always but if there is drm info in the EXTH header you will see it. E.g:
Code:
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH  length: 48
EXTH n_items: 2
EXTH    item: 2 - drm_commerce_id - 15 - MOBIPOCKET_0123
EXTH    item: 3 - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 5 - 19122
LONGTITLE: Concise Oxford English Dictionary
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
wmaurer
Enthusiast

[CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not know if mobi2mobi detects the drm always but if there is drm info in the EXTH header you will see it. E.g:
No, mobi2mobi doesn't seem to give any such information:

Code:
      Version: 0
         Type: TEXt
      Creator: REAd
         Seed: 0
        Resdb: 
 AppInfoDirty: 
        ctime: -1968466898 - Fri Aug 16 12:38:22 1907
        mtime: -1968466898 - Fri Aug 16 12:38:22 1907
      baktime: -2082844800 - Thu Dec 31 17:00:00 1903
---------------------------------------------------
FIRST IMG Record Id: 7307629
WARNING:  Record 7307820 - Image data size might be too large: 62718
---------------------------------------------------
Image record index: 365 (90 x 140)
START IMAGE INDEX: 365
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 365
PDHEADER  Version: 2
PDHEADER   Length: 745441
PDHEADER NRecords: 364
PDHEADER  Recsize: 2048
PDHEADER  Unknown: 69220
LASTID: 7307878
-----------------
I think this eBook was created using an early version of creator. With kind help, I have been able to strip it using some different dedrm code.

Thanks
-Wayne
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I've read thru thread after thread, installed python, copied so many scripts I'm blue in the face and no matter what I've tried I've never gotten past "Bad Key Length!" I guess I won't fret too much as I haven't purchased that many Mobi DRM'd books.

I'm giving up totally on anything except MS LIT which has a system I've actually managed to use.
I have tried reading through as many posts as I can find on this. Sorry if this is a simple problem, but I can't find the solution.

I am in the same boat. I can't seem to get past the "Bad Key Length!" problem either. I have run MobiDeDRM 01, 02, and 05 with no luck. Any ideas?
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm not sure this is a related issue, but do you have more than one Mobi device registered for your ebooks? For example, do you have your desk top computer, a PDA, and a Cybook installed (just as an example - don't have to be exact combination!) You might try one of the other device's PIDs in that case.

The other thing I regularly "hiccup" on is that you either must have a filename (and new filename) with no spaces in it, or you have to put the filename in quotes.

So using

Code:
mobidederm05 Old Filename New Filename PIDnumber
Might give a bad length error message because it thinks "New" is the PID.

Instead, it should be

Code:
mobidederm05 OldFilename NewFilename PIDnumber

or

mobidedrm05 "Old Filename" "New Filename" PIDnumber
I'll admit, I've never tried using the quotes. I just take any spaces out of my filenames. I can always rename them later.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #29
dregar
dregar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
I have tried reading through as many posts as I can find on this. Sorry if this is a simple problem, but I can't find the solution.

I am in the same boat. I can't seem to get past the "Bad Key Length!" problem either. I have run MobiDeDRM 01, 02, and 05 with no luck. Any ideas?
It may be the problem with your installation of Python. If you downloaded Python from python.org and are using version 3.10, try using version 2.60.
dregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #30
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by dregar View Post
It may be the problem with your installation of Python. If you downloaded Python from python.org and are using version 3.10, try using version 2.60.

Oh cool, thanks. I will give that a try and let you know how it worked. I am running 3.0.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote