Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Future: eBook readers for students

I have friend in Canada and He told me that his son (12 year's old boy) got eBook reader from the School Library. It sounds like fantastic but it is possible thay many schools will start using eBook readers instead of paper books soon. Do you have kids who already use it in schools?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
In France there was an experiment to use them in a university library in Angers and i seem to remember hearing about a possible use in Strasbourg as well but i can't remember the details. i think schools are one of the places that ebooks could be the most useful, so i hope they will gain popularity there, but i suspect it won't happen until the devices are less expensive, and there is more content available.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and here and here is more info about use in universities and schools.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
In France there was an experiment to use them in a university library in Angers and i seem to remember hearing about a possible use in Strasbourg as well but i can't remember the details. i think schools are one of the places that ebooks could be the most useful, so i hope they will gain popularity there, but i suspect it won't happen until the devices are less expensive, and there is more content available.
I think many devices will be available for free the same way as cell phones with one or 2 years plan. In case if schools will purchase many eBooks they will get eBook readers for minimum price or for free.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
and here and here is more info about use in universities and schools.
Thanks for links. It looks like many people already discussed it on the forum before.
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I think many devices will be available for free the same way as cell phones with one or 2 years plan. In case if schools will purchase many eBooks they will get eBook readers for minimum price or for free.
i agree, that would be a brilliant way for schools to get them, and it seems like a logical development for the future. hopefully sooner than later !
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Oy, I would have loved to have had a ebook reader back in high school. My back still clearly recalls all the stress I put it through.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think ebook readers in school are a brilliant idea. I am not sure how useful they would be for some subjects (Math and Science in particular might be better served by a more full functioned computer), but for literature and maybe history, they would be great. This is particularly true for literature which, by high school, includes a large number of works in the Public Domain.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's not exactly free, of course... you pay for a service every month, and the service subsidizes the device. So a student would be paying a monthly bill, either for the reader, or for access to the library service they would use it with. Considering the cost of most readers, though, it might make it easier.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
That's not exactly free, of course... you pay for a service every month, and the service subsidizes the device. So a student would be paying a monthly bill, either for the reader, or for access to the library service they would use it with. Considering the cost of most readers, though, it might make it easier.
I think it will be free for students but schools will pay for it from different funds.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think ebook readers in school are a brilliant idea. I am not sure how useful they would be for some subjects (Math and Science in particular might be better served by a more full functioned computer), but for literature and maybe history, they would be great. This is particularly true for literature which, by high school, includes a large number of works in the Public Domain.

--
Bill
Agree, all classic books available in the Public Domain.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I think it will be free for students but schools will pay for it from different funds.
Be aware: If the schools are asked to pay for it, and it doesn't come out of general public taxes, then students' parents will have the cost added to their mandatory fees. So the students will pay for them anyway, if the public doesn't pick up the tab.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Be aware: If the schools are asked to pay for it, and it doesn't come out of general public taxes, then students' parents will have the cost added to their mandatory fees. So the students will pay for them anyway, if the public doesn't pick up the tab.
True,
But I think ultimately, since a computer like OLPC is already available for about $200 a unit (and because of its convertible tablet design it is well suited to being used as a e-book reader). Assuming a similar type computer was rugged enough to survive 4 years of high school, I think it would cost less in the long run than all the various books students use right now. Heck, the cost of printed paperback Public Domain books might, over 4 years offset the cost of the unit.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
education, schools