Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've said the yellow background with the title doesn't work (it looks tacky). Yet it's still there.
I'm sticking with the yellow background just to annoy you.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #32
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think dark works behind the title unless the letters go from Black (in the crescent) to white (top)
Exactly ducks. The yellow and black is a killer combo.
Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #33
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Sunsets are red-orange

(I took this,so any MR member has my permission to USE (but not charge).
Beautiful pic!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

The concern now is whether the more sedate image is too sedate for what you wanted - why's this guy sleeping when the girl is screaming?
Thanks gmw. Exactly. Agreed.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the yellow background to the title, except my previously mentioned thought that a gradient might be appropriate.
With all the streaming of the sunlight a gradient in the text will be too busy.

Quote:

Please don't get offended. Even if someone asks you directly, personally, for an opinion, they are not obliged to act on it. On a forum, where the request is not direct or personal, acting on every opinion would not only be unwise, it is more often than not impossible.
Thanks for that.

I'm posting a new one.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Advert
Old 04-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Cin, It doesn't have to be literal. And blinding is good. It makes for a good thumbnail and perhaps people will be wondering what's in the text that it looks different. I'm doing an even more blinding one. I'll post it soon.
Warn me first so I can avoid hurting my eyes.
Name me one successful author that does blinding covers. I have never seen a professional blinding cover.
Or did you hear that at the other forum?

Oh and if I see a blinding cover, I do NOT ever click buy and I make a note to avoid that author in the future.

Now Gregg, since I like you, I must be honest.that cover screams amateur.
You may be a fabulous writer but your artistic talent needs work.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now that one isn't so hard on the eyes.

I actually like the almost no graphics.
It does make me think suspense.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

I found the problem with your first one. The bottom background was too dark.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
<snip>

Now Gregg, since I like you, I must be honest.that cover screams amateur.
You may be a fabulous writer but your artistic talent needs work.

of all the covers I have in my Library, it is the Indies that seem to lean toward Saturated or Garish. (At least the raised Letter fad is gone fro MMPB )

There are tried and true Visual Cliche's

Dim/Gloomy = Suspense
Flashy = Action
Soft = Romantic

(Those are my guesses, Ask some Art students. They teach stuff like this)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Now do a minimalist something in that empty space. Ideas (but use only one):

1) A streak of blood, perhaps.
2) A whiskey bottle on its side.
3) A small, skewed photo or image - very small.
4) Take some thematic something from the novel and put it in the empty space.

--- Just play with it and see how it meshes with those words.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #41
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Okay. I love this tagline but I don't know if it works with the cover. What do you guys think? (I like this cover. Yes, it'll rely heavily on the title but I'm of the 'less is more' school of thinking. And it shows up cleanly as a thumbnail--which will be most of the looks it gets.)

And, ducks, this is a suspense thriller. Not some slow-moving suspense thing. (I'm okay with 'action.') Thanks.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Now that one isn't so hard on the eyes.

I actually like the almost no graphics.
It does make me think suspense.
I have to disagree. When seen in color, it is hard on the eyes. It's too bright. It's the sun on a yellow background. It's just doesn't work. It makes me think Photoshop.

What might work better is the sunrise in the title instead of the screaming face. The face doesn't work.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-06-2017 at 06:08 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #43
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree. When seen in color, it is hard on the eyes. It's too bright. It's the sun on a yellow background. It's just doesn't work. It makes me think Photoshop.

What might work better is the sunrise in the title instead of the screaming face. The face doesn't work.
And this proves we have different eyes.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #44
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I was thinking it is getting close.....
to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GBeer.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	156042  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #45
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I was thinking it is getting close.....
to
You're making to too hard, we Aussies know how it's done. No need to focus to try and read the word.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XXXXBeer.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	156049  
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote