Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
guineapiguser
guineapiguser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Sony PRS-505
Converting your PDF files to Kindle using PDF2LRF (Better than Amazon's conversion)

Hey,

As an former Sony Reader I frequently used a program called PDF2LRF which I found to be the best PDF converter too because it specifically increased the contrast for text/ images to make them more readable on our eReader screens (which default converters don't do)

I came up with a straightforward workflow to convert PDFs to Kindle format which also bypasses Amazon's service. Note: this works best for image based/ or text +image based pdfs or if you want to preserve PDF formatted.

PDF to Kindle Workflow:
The workflow I've come up with is this.
1) Use PDF2LRF to input the PDF and output to a .zip file filled with PNG files. (I have to use PDF2LRF in command line format to accomplish this).

link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135 (download the command line program). Use command:

" pdf2lrf -i INPUT_PDF_FILENAME.pdf -o OUTPUT_PDF_FILENAME.zip " (which generates a zip file of PNG images from PDF)

2) Then use the program that jbenny posted (PNG2PDF) to generate a PDF file in commandline from the Zip files

LINK: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=13135&page=18 (scroll down and download the file PNG2PDF.zip) Type this command in command line prompt:

" png2pdf OUTPUT_PDF_FILENAME.zip "

This generates a file called: OUTPUT_PDF_FILENAME_png.PDF

3) Afterwards, I run Mobipocket Creator to import PDF file and output to .PRC format which is then readable with the Kindle.

download link: http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...ilsCreator.asp

Use option: Import PDF file: OUTPUT_PDF_FILENAME_png.PDF in Mobipocket Creator program (free), then after setting the Metadata, click Publish, to generate PRC file.

4) Move the generated .PRC file to your Kindle and enjoy it.
Note: you can fiddle with the PDF2LRF settings but I found the default settings worked pretty well.

Note: The advantage of this is I don't have to email the file to Amazon at all to get it converted and readable on kindle! (Since Gmail's 20 meg limit which I find quite limiting). And best of all the output is split nicely with high contrast, 2 pages/ landscape rotated which makes it as readable as on my Sony device compared to Amazon's default PDF conversion.

Summary: PDF -> PDF2LRF -> PNG2PDF -> MobiPocket Creator -> Kindle.
guineapiguser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
You don't need to convert the PNGs to PDF. You can just use the hidden Picture viewer to view the folder of pngs as a book. I am doing this because Kindle does not support chinese natively so I am forced to view it as "picture".
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapiguser View Post
Summary: PDF -> PDF2LRF -> PNG2PDF -> MobiPocket Creator -> Kindle.
MobiPocket Creator takes a PDF file as input. Do you even need PDF2LRF and PNG2PDF in the flow?
_____
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
MobiPocket Creator takes a PDF file as input. Do you even need PDF2LRF and PNG2PDF in the flow?
_____
Dennis
I think the advantage of PDF2LRF is the reflow control. mobipocket's pdf import function is pretty primitive and it is really bad if there's embedded pictures etc. I guess that's why OP need to PDF2PND2PDF2Mobi
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
guineapiguser
guineapiguser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Sony PRS-505
Since most viewers don't understand why it's better to do all this extra process work, I took a few screenshots.

Please look at attached:

PDF options that I've tried:

1)
When I first sent the original PDF directly to Amazon, all image info was lost, while the text converted fine. This sucks because maps are gone (leaving me lost)

2)
The second one, I had to convert the PDF to be image based, (turned it into a 20 meg file) and then emailed it to Amazon to be converted. The result is much better in that the result looks like the original PDF, but as you can see, the text is not optimized for the reader and it is hard to read smaller text. Also all maps (non-standard images) were badly resized to be very small making them unusable. (bad image fidelity)

3)
The third one, which I processed using the PDF2LRF -> PNG2PDF -> Mobi Creator is the best in that it replicates the look of the original PDF (image based) and more importantly, it bypasses having to attach/ email to Amazon, wait 1 hour, transfer back, which is bad for large files > 20 megs. With PDF2LRF, everything including text/borders etc... is optimized to be more readable on ebook readers then default because the program increases the contrast for text.

Also, concerning LoveBeta's response, using the PNG viewer doesn't work too well when you have hundreds of PNG images (due to the number of pages in a PDF). Having a converted .PRC file allows you to bookmark your books while images can't be.

In summary, my basic goal is to view PDFs on the Kindle as similar as the original PDF and this is the best solution I've found so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	non-processed pdf.jpg
Views:	26295
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	9206   Click image for larger version

Name:	processed pdf.jpg
Views:	25748
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	9207  

Last edited by guineapiguser; 01-15-2008 at 05:07 PM.
guineapiguser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
snookums
Connoisseur
snookums doesn't littersnookums doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I don't suppose someone could post a Mac version of pdf2lrf?
snookums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
zeellig
zeellig began at the beginning.

How do you handle TOC generation? If no TOC, don't you find it too limiting?
zeellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Why not use PDFRead 1.8.2 located here.

It converts directly from .pdf to .prc using a simple GUI! (GUI for Windows users only). It supports TOC, dilation of text, auto-cropping, edge enhancement, landscape/portrait modes, etc.

It is also possible to leave the converted images and .html behind after the conversion is done. Also a .opf is provided to allow further tweaks using Mobipocket Creator.

Give it a try.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
zeellig
zeellig began at the beginning.

nrapallo! pdfread is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thanks for chiming in.
zeellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeellig View Post
nrapallo! pdfread is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thanks for chiming in.
Hate to steal someone else's thunder, but it did seem a good fit for you! Tell me what you like or don't, after you have gone through a few conversions; preferrably over at the PDFRead thread.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
DataWhore
DataWhore began at the beginning.

I have a pretty big eBook I'm trying to do this with, and I'm getting an error "Illegal System DLL Relocation - pdf2xml".

When I look at the process, it just keeps eating up more and more RAM, then moves on to the pagefile, then I get this message. So I have no way of going from PDF -> PRC right now.

Also, PDFRead is excessively slow it would take a day for this one PDF.

Anyone have any ideas?
DataWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:26 AM   #12
cchen921
cchen921 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
guineapiguser, in your workflow, I couldn't even get past the first. I am completely new and I just wanted to read some of my scanned pdfs on my kindle. I used pdflrf through the link you provided. I noticed you kept saying "pdf2lrf" and not "pdflrf," is there a difference? anyways, I typed in pdflrf -i A.pdf -o A.zip, wait for 45 minutes, and then I get a zip file. What's funny is that Winrar doesn't read it, and I tried to jump directly to png2pdf and it gave me error messages. Here's what I got:
Archive: 1orif.zip
End-of-central-directory signature not fo
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of
latter case the central directory and zip
the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in 1o
and cannot find 1orif.zip.zip, peri

C:\PDF2>for %A in (PNGs\*.png) do convert %
Error: Failed to open PDF file:
PDFs\*.pdf
Errors encountered. No output created.
Done. Input errors, so no output created.

So this is the second part of the workflow, I'm not even sure if I did the first part right. Please help anyone that has done this succesfully. I just got the kindle and would like to read scanned pdfs on it. Just scanned, I don't want any ocr because there are just way too many errors on there. Just wanted to read the pictures. Thanks!
cchen921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #13
ninjapanzer
ninjapanzer began at the beginning.

I admit that MobiPocket Creator is still my choice for dealing with PDF files that have necessary images. Most of the books I convert do not have images and for those I have found that using mobigen is excellent. Of course getting the pdf to mobigen is fun. So I use PDF2HTML. This has been great so far for most PDFs. I actually integrated this into a script along with some other document conversion. Its up on sourceforge. Its simple to use and its appropriate if you have an eReader that supports mobi format like a kindle for example which is what the program is named after but it just creates flat mobi files without images. Heres the link Enjoy
Project Page http://sourceforge.net/projects/autokindle/
Download http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=248415
ninjapanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Adeel Ahmed
Adeel Ahmed began at the beginning.

Need Help

I coudn't find pdf2lrf command line version. I downloaded it but that is a GUI version and produces lrf file. I you can convert a pdf to prc for my newly purchased kindle. Please help me. My email is chadeelmehr@yahoo.com. Please its urgent.
Adeel Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Adeel Ahmed
Adeel Ahmed began at the beginning.

Hey guineapiguser

I have bought new kindle and have problem converting my 100 page pdf to kindle format. I have much tried your four step process but I fail on very first step i.e converting pdf to png. I downloaded pdf2lrf but it produces a lrf file and not png zip file. Can you please do it for me if I send you the PDF? I would be graeatful to you. My email is chadeelmehr@yahoo.com. I am waiting for your reply. Please its urgent
Adeel Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote