Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #106
deep
Enthusiast
deep began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Ahh... I forgot to post the contents of my replacement loader script. Here is the one-line contents of my /mnt/us/tcc/tcc.libpthread.so:

GROUP ( /lib/libpthread.so.0 )

Are you saying that the original loader script works if copied to the tcc folder?
Yes I copied the /lib/libpthread.so to the tcc folder, renamed it as tcc.libpthread.so ; and I modified the tccmake script as you suggested with all the mounts and binds ...
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #107
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yup - the diagnostic path was destroyed by my pathname typo.

The "file" command above was done on the /lib/libpthread.so file, not (as I later edited it) the /usr/lib/libpthread.so file.

The "too small" /usr/lib/libpthread.so file is a loader script (which file properly identifies as ASCII TEXT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by /usr/lib/libpthread.so
/* GNU ld script
Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
the static library, so try that secondarily. */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf32-littlearm)
GROUP ( /lib/libpthread.so.0 /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a )
Which is a lab126 "hack" in the worst meaning of the term, see my signature.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #108
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Yes I copied the /lib/libpthread.so to the tcc folder, renamed it as tcc.libpthread.so ; and I modified the tccmake script as you suggested with all the mounts and binds ...
That does not make sense because the bind mounts just replace the file with an IDENTICAL copy of itself. I simplified the copy in the tcc folder because of reports in a tinytcc mailing list that showed the cause of this problem being the extra lines in the library loader script.

How can replacing a file with an identical copy of itself "fix" (as you reported) anything? This is all so confusing for my poor little brain...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #109
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yup - the diagnostic path was destroyed by my pathname typo.

The "file" command above was done on the /lib/libpthread.so file, not (as I later edited it) the /usr/lib/libpthread.so file.

The "too small" /usr/lib/libpthread.so file is a loader script (which file properly identifies as ASCII TEXT).

Which is a lab126 "hack" in the worst meaning of the term, see my signature.
I reported this library loader script problem in earlier posts (for both the libm and libpthread scripts). This is exactly the same problem (and same fix) that I used when "-lm" caused this problem before, extended to support the pthread library in addition to the math library already supported. I also provided a replacement script with the extra crap stripped out, which I bind mount to prevent changing the original contents on the root partition.

For some strange reason, this only affects SOME versions of 5.1.0 firmware. How many versions of 5.1.0 are there, and how can we tell them apart?

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #110
deep
Enthusiast

Quote:
Ahh... I forgot to post the contents of my replacement loader script. Here is the one-line contents of my /mnt/us/tcc/tcc.libpthread.so:

GROUP ( /lib/libpthread.so.0 )

Are you saying that the original loader script works if copied to the tcc folder? That does not make sense to me because the original contains the file reference shown in the tcc error message. It would be nice to know how many different versions of 5.1.0 firmware are out in the wild. How can amazon even support this mess?

EDIT: It looks like JoppyFur and others did not have this problem. Only SOME versions of the 5.1.0 firmware have this problem.

Ok the above method is the best way to do it thanks geekmaster

Last edited by deep; 05-23-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #111
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Umm... did you read my posts above? I already said the same stuff (using different words and different details). This is exactly the same problem (and same fix) that I used when "-lm" caused this problem before, extended to support the pthread library in addition to the match library already supported.
Yes, I did.
Did you read them?
You never documented what it was that you where replacing and/or over-riding.
This isn't supposed to be a competition, a race for bragging rights or recognition, it should be a collaboration for the benefit of the less experienced.
As such, I supplemented your posts with additional details.
If you don't like something I write - PM me about it before going public with the complaint, you might just convince me to change my mind.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #112
geekmaster

Quote:
If you don't like something I write - PM me about it before going public with the complaint, you might just convince me to change my mind.
Sorry. That was not my intention. Please continue. I will go back and soften whatever I wrote. Sorry.

EDIT: The copy you showed was old and "in-progress" (when I was still editing it the first time). I have to do lots of edits and "Saves" before I can see all my errors and fix them. I did not find anything to change now, because I already made it less harsh before you posted the old (unfinished) version you quoted. Is the post at that link still harsh? If so, what should I change? I am really much better with machines than with people. Sorry...

EDIT 2: It looks like you were just posting the results of your research on the "short file" problem, which just COINCIDENTALLY turned out to be the same "library loader script" problem that I fixed for the math library. Your input is welcome here. I am glad to retract any harsh statements that I made. Sorry. (My intention was to try to "synchronize" our posts that seemed to be following two divergent "threads", but I did not word it in a tactful manner. Tact is not one of my strong points.)

EDIT 3: Thank you for your input here knc1. It is helpful and welcome.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #113
geekmaster

I added a tcc v1.6 package to the first post of this thread, which fixes problems with the pthread library for both v3.3 and v5.1.0 kindles. The v5.1.0 fix was reported working above.

I cannot test these changes, so please let me know if it fixes your problem with "-lpthread" (if your particular kindle firmware even had that problem). As you can see in the recent JoppyFur thread, some people (including myself) did not have problems using "-lpthread" with tccmake, but the v1.6 update for my tcc package should fix (or prevent) this problem for those who need it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #114
knc1
Going Viral

arm-tcc search paths

I need a volunteer here, someone with a Kindle and a copy of the GM-v1.5 tcc installed.

For the source file (use lf line endings please):
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
        printf("Hello World\n");
        return 0;
    }
Run this command (notice the exactly three "v"s):
Code:
tcc -vvv -run hello.c
Then post the entire output in a reply to this post.
Please capture it all (if using a terminal via ssh, turn on the capture file) the result is much longer than a single screen.

The output of this test will tell us the information needed to best match the compiler's default search paths to the Kindle Touch (hopefully, without changes to the file system or wrapper scripts).

I.E: "hack" is a four letter word.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #115
deep
Enthusiast

Quote:
I added a tcc v1.6 package to the first post of this thread, which fixes problems with the pthread library for both v3.3 and v5.1.0 kindles. The v5.1.0 fix was reported working above.

I cannot test these changes, so please let me know if it fixes your problem with "-lpthread" (if your particular kindle firmware even had that problem). As you can see in the recent JoppyFur thread, some people (including myself) did not have problems using "-lpthread" with tccmake, but the v1.6 update for my tcc package should fix (or prevent) this problem for those who need it.
I wonder why there is an include.tar.gz file in there
Just wondering ....
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #116
deep
Enthusiast

Quote:
I need a volunteer here, someone with a Kindle and a copy of the GM-v1.5 tcc installed.

For the source file (use lf line endings please):
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
        printf("Hello World\n");
        return 0;
    }
Run this command (notice the exactly three "v"s):
Code:
tcc -vvv -run hello.c
Then post the entire output in a reply to this post.
Please capture it all (if using a terminal via ssh, turn on the capture file) the result is much longer than a single screen.

The output of this test will tell us the information needed to best match the compiler's default search paths to the Kindle Touch (hopefully, without changes to the file system or wrapper scripts).

I.E: "hack" is a four letter word.
Hmm, I have GM-tcc v1.5 with lpthread modifications
anyways, I had a short output

Code:
[root@kindle codes]# tcc -vvv -run hello.c
tcc version 0.9.25
-> hello.c
nf /usr/local/include/stdio.h
nf /usr/include/stdio.h
nf /usr/local/lib/tcc/include/stdio.h
hello.c:1: include file 'stdio.h' not found
Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #117
geekmaster

tccmake does the bind mounts. Calling tcc directly requires manually doing the bind mounts yourself.

tccmake uses a different parameter sequence than tcc because it calls tcc like this:

tcc -I/mnt/us/tcc/include -o $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 $1.c

So you can do what you wanted this way:

tccmake hello -vvv -run

Where did those "/usr/" paths come from in the error message? The headers are in /mnt/us/tcc/include.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #118
geekmaster

Here is the output from compiling demo.c (included in my tcc package).
Code:
[root@kindle tcc]# tccmake demo -vvv -run
tcc version 0.9.25
-> /usr/lib/crt1.o
-> /usr/lib/crti.o
-> demo.c
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/stdio.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/features.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/predefs.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/cdefs.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/wordsize.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/gnu/stubs.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/stddef.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/types.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/wordsize.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/typesizes.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/libio.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/_G_config.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/wchar.h
->     /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/wchar.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/gconv.h
->     /mnt/us/tcc/include/wchar.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/stdarg.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/stdio_lim.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/sys_errlist.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/stdlib.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/types.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/time.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/endian.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/endian.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/select.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/select.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/sigset.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/time.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/time.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/sysmacros.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/alloca.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/string.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/unistd.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/posix_opt.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/confname.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/getopt.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/fcntl.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/fcntl.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/time.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/time.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/mman.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/mman.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/ioctl.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/ioctls.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/asm/ioctls.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/asm/ioctl.h
->     /mnt/us/tcc/include/asm-generic/ioctl.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/bits/ioctl-types.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/sys/ttydefaults.h
-> /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/fb.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/types.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/asm/types.h
->   /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/posix_types.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/stddef.h
->     /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/compiler.h
->    /mnt/us/tcc/include/asm/posix_types.h
->  /mnt/us/tcc/include/linux/i2c.h
nf /usr/local/lib/libc.so
-> /usr/lib/libc.so
-> /lib/libc.so.6
nf /usr/local/lib/ld-linux.so.3
nf /usr/lib/ld-linux.so.3
-> /lib/ld-linux.so.3
-> /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
-> /usr/lib/crtn.o
<- demo
[root@kindle tcc]#
It does compile successfully, but it exits WITHOUT running the compiled program. You have to follow that command with "./demo" to run the compiled program. I noticed before that this lrizzo build of tcc does not seem to support the "-run" option when I tried it, despite posts to the contrary in other threads.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #119
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Hmm, I have GM-tcc v1.5 with lpthread modifications
anyways, I had a short output

Code:
[root@kindle codes]# tcc -vvv -run hello.c
tcc version 0.9.25
-> hello.c
nf /usr/include/stdio.h
nf /usr/local/lib/tcc/include/stdio.h
hello.c:1: include file 'stdio.h' not found
OK, that tells me something at least.
Mostly that it was built with PREFIX=/usr/local (the default, if not changed at build time).
The man(ual) sezs:
Quote:
System include paths are always searched after [the -Ipath options]. The default system include paths are: /usr/local/include, /usr/include and PREFIX/lib/tcc/include. (PREFIX is usually
/usr or /usr/local).
Now try (to fix the include search path, later will fix the library search path) both temporary fixes until GM can churn out a new tcc-arm build configured for where it has to be installed on a Kindle:
Code:
# modify as required to point directly to the directory holding stdio.h:
tcc -vvv -I/mnt/us/tcc -run hello.c
In case your wondering, I am looking for something (arm/kindle version) of this:
Code:
core2quad kindle510 $ tcc -vvv -run hello.c
tcc version 0.9.25
-> hello.c
nf /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdio.h
nf /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdio.h
-> /usr/include/stdio.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/features.h
nf  /usr/local/include/features.h
nf  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/features.h
->  /usr/include/features.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/predefs.h
nf   /usr/local/include/bits/predefs.h
->   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/predefs.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/sys/cdefs.h
nf   /usr/local/include/sys/cdefs.h
->   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/sys/cdefs.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf    /usr/local/include/bits/wordsize.h
->    /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/gnu/stubs.h
nf   /usr/local/include/gnu/stubs.h
->   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/gnu/stubs.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf    /usr/local/include/bits/wordsize.h
->    /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/gnu/stubs-32.h
nf    /usr/local/include/gnu/stubs-32.h
->    /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/gnu/stubs-32.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf  /usr/local/include/stddef.h
nf  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf  /usr/include/stddef.h
nf  /usr/lib/tcc/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
->  /usr/lib/tcc/include/stddef.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/types.h
nf  /usr/local/include/bits/types.h
->  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/types.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/features.h
nf   /usr/local/include/features.h
nf   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/features.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf   /usr/local/include/bits/wordsize.h
->   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/wordsize.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/typesizes.h
nf   /usr/local/include/bits/typesizes.h
->   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/typesizes.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/libio.h
nf  /usr/local/include/libio.h
nf  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/libio.h
->  /usr/include/libio.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/_G_config.h
nf   /usr/local/include/_G_config.h
nf   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/_G_config.h
->   /usr/include/_G_config.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/types.h
nf    /usr/local/include/bits/types.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf    /usr/local/include/stddef.h
nf    /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf    /usr/include/stddef.h
nf    /usr/lib/tcc/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf    /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/wchar.h
nf    /usr/local/include/wchar.h
nf    /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/wchar.h
->    /usr/include/wchar.h
nf     /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf     /usr/local/include/stddef.h
nf     /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf     /usr/include/stddef.h
nf     /usr/lib/tcc/include/i386-linux-gnu/stddef.h
nf   /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
nf   /usr/local/include/stdarg.h
nf   /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
nf   /usr/include/stdarg.h
nf   /usr/lib/tcc/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
->   /usr/lib/tcc/include/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/local/include/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/include/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/lib/tcc/include/i386-linux-gnu/stdarg.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/stdio_lim.h
nf  /usr/local/include/bits/stdio_lim.h
->  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/stdio_lim.h
nf  /usr/local/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/sys_errlist.h
nf  /usr/local/include/bits/sys_errlist.h
->  /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu/bits/sys_errlist.h
nf /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so
nf /usr/local/lib/libc.so
-> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so
-> /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
-> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc_nonshared.a
-> /usr/lib/tcc/libtcc1.a
Hello World
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #120
geekmaster

@knc1: Our posts keep getting out of sequence, which leads to me pointing out that I already answered your question in a previous post. I am not trying to compete with you. I am just trying to suggest that you read the answer that I provided above so that you can use my input in your research. No harm intended.

The information that you seek is in post #118 above.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Tags
tcc, tinycc