Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Looking for EE/PE comparison

If someone has used both units could you take a moment and give a brief comparison of your experience between the two relating to weight/size etc. Are there any software/hardware differences?

Would like and EE but fear it would be rather cumbersome.

Thanks.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Would like and EE but fear it would be rather cumbersome.
I don't need a PE to tell you that the EE *is* cumbersome. (Of course, I have an 11" MBA as my main laptop to compare it to.)

Think of it like a sturdy little netbook in weight. If you'd be OK carrying that around with you, then you'll be fine with an EE. If you need something that you barely notice or slip into a large pocket, that's not the EE.

That said, if you intend to work on PDFs, you will *much* appreciate the larger screen of the EE. I find it the minimum acceptable size for my main purposes: writing on pdf forms and sketching out what will eventually be converted to letter-sized pages of notes. (I make instructional notes/worksheets for students on mine, so I want them to end up being a full page size.) The reason I don't have a PE is that I can't imagine a screen smaller than my EE being acceptable for either purpose.

The EE has a removable (and longer lasting) battery. I find battery life on the EE is great, especially with a second battery. I also have a fondness for gadgets with removable batteries because that's an easy troubleshooting technique if things go awry.

Otherwise, I don't think there's a significant enough difference between the OS or normal operations on the EE and PE to make your decision based on that factor.

I really think it comes down to whether or not you need the screen real estate vs. whether or not you need it to be light. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences, too.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks much! The larger screen would be a big assist but the weight not so much. Also like the replaceable battery feature. Thinking, thinking

Might give one a try one of these days.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hiya!

Here's another thread on the same subject: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=mokel. And: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137974. And: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137918.

I have been surprised that some of the apps I have on my PE won't load on my EE. The size difference is huge. They are really not the same, although they are very like (you'll see what I mean if you get one). The EE has more problems with Ermine. Writing and, at least for me, everything is easier on the EE e-ink screen than on the PE e-ink -- and faster. They complement each other very well, IMHO!

Maybe Gunner will share his picture of the size difference. Weight, not as different as you might think given the different sizes. They have the same depth(?) when closed. The EE seems more fragile/slender while the PE is the sturdy stocky one.

Last edited by Filark; 07-21-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Writing and, at least for me, everything is easier on the EE e-ink screen than on the PE e-ink -- and faster.
I seem to recall that being another difference: after we upgraded to Android 2.2, EEs in general had slightly more problems (green camera, which I have; hibernation issues, which I do NOT have) but even before the upgrade, PE users described a larger "dead zone" of margin where it was difficult to write on the e-ink screen (which is already smaller) whereas I've had very little difficulty writing quite close to the edge on my (larger) EE screen.

I hadn't heard anyone say the PE feels "stocky", so if as you say, Filark, the weight difference is less than you might think, I think the EE is optimized for the e-ink functions whereas the PE, being even only slightly newer, might have a slight advantage in the tablet department.
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Anyplace like Woot offloading the EE's for cheap? I'd like to pick up one.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Anyplace like Woot offloading the EE's for cheap? I'd like to pick up one.
Gary
Sadly no. There is still a European retailer or two offering for a crazy sum of money, and if you watch eBay vigilantly, you will see some pop up every now and then. Might be expensive, might be cheap.

I would suggest setting a Google Alert, which should also pick up Kijiji or Craigslist new listings, too.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
...Maybe Gunner will share his picture of the size difference. ...
PE vs. EE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE_PE.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	74657  
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks Gunner!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
I bought both too, couldnt resist the last Woot, so for 107 euros I received a PE @ my home in Rome. It is absolutely new and works flawlessly.

I have to say PE is a little wonder, on common tasks the tablet side looks more responsive/smoother than the eDGe. For the e-ink side, it's the opposite.

The PE also looks way better, and you can have it everywhere with you, which obviously is not true with the EE.

My fiancee is using the PE, she does not want to risk anything so she's using Dingo and she's happy like that, for now.

Check some pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/aplom77...eat=directlink

PE = great portability, not that good battery life, too small the screen for pdf, very nice looking, IR sensor works better than EE's scroll. Good for light browsing and reading with some annotations.

EE = great to work on texts, nice battery life & replacement possible, faster annotations on e-ink side. Still the most advanced ebook reader out there.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 07-23-2011 at 11:11 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
exscentric
Addict

Thanks to all, and the picture puts things in good light, thanks for that as well. EE looks very nice.

Had to buy a new washer and dryer today so toys will go on hold for awhile :-)