Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
Removing files, cleaning up references

I recently discovered a cute bookmarklet which can provide an epub of a webpage. Now, they stick a first page file with their logo and an end page file with their disclaimer. Now, I open in Sigil the result and remove the first page, last page, logo graphic and CSS. When I check the resulting epub I am told that those files are refferenced, yet nowhere to be found (which was expected). How can I make Sigil clean up those refferences too?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
what version of Sigil are you using?

Sigil should remove references in the content.opf and toc.ncx files automatically.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
there may be a inline TOC or back link in one of your pages.
Sigil doe not always clear all references outside of the <body>...</body>
( not sure why a 'Page' is referenced outside the body though.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
there may be a inline TOC or back link in one of your pages.
Sigil doe not always clear all references outside of the <body>...</body>
( not sure why a 'Page' is referenced outside the body though.)
It's having an out-of-body experience?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the OPF file and see if the files are still referenced there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check the OPF file and see if the files are still referenced there.
Okay, well, if nobody's gonna play....I'd suggest you pop open CV (Code View), and do a search on all html files for the file names that you removed. Sometimes, bookdesigners or software firms will embed images invisibly, to protect their material from being pilfered. In epub, for example, you can set a class to "hidden" and hide a "watermark image," for lack of a better phrase, so you can prove (if needed) that the product was yours in the first place.

In any event, search for it in the Book itself; search for it in the OPF, as referenced by JS Wolf.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
Artha
-----

I guess it's the OPF that does not get updated. I run the latest version available 0.3.4. Nothing is hidden in my case and I have no intention of removing the tags for their work. It's a matter of wasted space for my reader. Is there a way to tweak that OPF from within Sigil?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
I guess it's the OPF that does not get updated. I run the latest version available 0.3.4. Nothing is hidden in my case and I have no intention of removing the tags for their work. It's a matter of wasted space for my reader. Is there a way to tweak that OPF from within Sigil?
I obviously misunderstood. You already said you removed their logo, disclaimer page, etc.; so it seemed as though you were removing all traces. I frankly don't understand why it would be different to remove the (possibly) "invisible" traces of their work, when you removed the visible traces, but maybe that's just me being dense. When you edit the OPF to not refer to their (now-removed graphics), you'll be removing essentially the same type of references.

You can edit the OPF file directly by using Sigil's latest beta, which is 0.4-something, or you can explode the epub and do it by hand in an html editor.

HTH,
Hitch
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Give the .4 beta a go. It may do more of what you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Artha
-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give the .4 beta a go. It may do more of what you want.
I used to go for the stable version, but these days beta usually means "as good as it getts" and the stable version is the branch where the developer doesn't want to go anymore. Old habits are hard to lose. I'm going for the new version.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I used to go for the stable version, but these days beta usually means "as good as it getts" and the stable version is the branch where the developer doesn't want to go anymore. Old habits are hard to lose. I'm going for the new version.
You have been warned .
It mis-behaves... Randomly at times (not repeatable)..

Go read the bug reports. Some are carry-overs from 3.4. Some have been there since 2.x
Playing with Betas, can be fun...
But seeing hours of your work hit the
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
saskir
saskir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
If you check the epub doesn't it tell you where the references are made? If it is in the HTML files you can easily click on them to get there. If it is about the .opf then the anser was already given.
saskir is offline   Reply With Quote