Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
Best "History Overview" Book?

Hi

I was wondering if any of you know of some good books that simply give an overview of the entire human history - similar to how the book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" gives an overview of the history of natural science.
Obviously such a book can't go into much detail, but I would really like to read something that could give me a general overview on the chronology of events.

Thanks!
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I haven't read it myself but it seems like "Guns Germs and Steel" might be what you're looking for?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I read this book. It really is a good overview of the last thousand years.

Power and Plenty: Trade, War, and the World Economy in the Second Millennium by
Ronald Findlay
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Outline of History -H.G. Wells
Have not got around to reading this yet but it has been highly recomended. I have yet to read anything by Wells I did not like except for parts of The Invisible man.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
E.H. Gombrich's _A Little History of the World_ --- pair it up w/ _1491_ to get the missing bits of Native American pre-history and say Geronimo's auto-biography to bet the post-Columbus viewpoint.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thanks a lot. Great recommendations!

As far as I can see, "A Little History of the World" is a childrens book, though?
Maybe I should stress that I am 29 years old - so I am looking for adult-level books
But maybe it is fine to read by adults too?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaldo2000 View Post
I was wondering if any of you know of some good books that simply give an overview of the entire human history - similar to how the book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" gives an overview of the history of natural science.
It's been a long time, but I remember reading and liking J.M. Roberts' The New Penguin History of the World. Though it dedicates chapters to historical periods all around the world, the author acknowledges his eurocentricism -- knowing this in advance, I didn't find it a problem. However, it's not really the type of book which somebody with little to no historical knowledge can pick up easily, but is rather a book for the history buff who nevertheless has gaps in their knowledge.

To take a completely different tack, have you considered historical atlases? They often show historical overviews of various areas and periods very well, recounting events in a straightforward historical manner, and have maps of countries and kingdoms long gone by and little heard of. I can't recommend any of those personally, as the ones I have are probably too old to be still sold. I've heard the Oxford and Times editions come highly recommended though.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Gombrich's book is quite fine for adults --- the material which is overtly left out in consideration of the youth of the intended audience is minimal, and I believe more than adequately covered in the two books which I mentioned (though you might also want to read _Empire of the Summer Moon_ as well, and maybe a book or two on World War II).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Roberts is a good writer. I like his history of ancient greece and history of ancient rome books. Most of the history of the world type books that I have run across are college text books, which means they are pretty dry reading. If you are looking for ebooks, then you might check out Susan Bauer's books _The History of the Ancient World_ and _The History of the Medieval World_.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
To take a completely different tack, have you considered historical atlases?
That's a good tip, thanks. I have not really considered those. I have though of more "illustrated" history books, though. I have this one, for instance: http://www.amazon.com/History-Defini.../dp/075663119X which is a very, very nice illustrated overview of history.
However, such books are a bit cumbersome to read as they are heavy and their layout makes it a bit confusing. I would simply like a pure text book, something to read back-to-back, and also something that fits on my eReader of course.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers sticks to modern, post-1500, history, but I thought it was a really great read.

Quote:
Kennedy, a history professor at Yale, here assesses the interaction between economics and strategy over the past five centuries; the correlation between productive and revenue-sharing capacities on the one hand and military strength on the other. The book is a vigorous entry in the debate over the extent to which national wealth should be used for military purposes. It reveals, for instance, how the Hapsburg monarchs overextended themselves in repeated conflicts, becoming militarily top-heavy while their economic base dwindled, an imbalance that ultimately proved fatal. In a final section, Kennedy explores the implications of today's economic and technological trends in relation to the balance of military power, and the problems and opportunities in this regard facing China, Japan, the European Economic Community, the Soviet Union and the United States.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers sticks to modern, post-1500, history, but I thought it was a really great read.
I second that about Rise and Fall. I thought it did a fine job pulling lots of threads together.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
I second that about Rise and Fall. I thought it did a fine job pulling lots of threads together.
I third it :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast

Thanks for the recommendations :-)

Great forum, this!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Asimov's chronology of the world is quite nice and written in his simple, clear and engaging style. Bryson's short history is quite good also .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote