Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
{Rating} multiplied by two?

I'm trying to work out how to use Calibre to send books to my device in the customized manner I want. I'd like to sort my books by rating, so I've been trying to use the {rating} tag in the customization options like so:

{rating}/{author} - {title}

What I've been getting, though, instead of 0-5 stars (which is how I've set up my rating system), I'm getting 0,2,4,6,8,10 stars.

I assume this is because Calibre was set up to support a half star system in this export, but... I would really rather just have 0-5 like I was expecting. Is there a trick to get that in the preferences set up?

Thanks!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sigh... Yet another place where the legacy 0-10 scale shows up.

I have fixed this. The fix should appear in the next release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sweet, I found a low-severity bug?

Thanks!

I'm also wondering... There's the option to organize the books by tags, but I use my tags to indicate Genre and Source (i.e., where the book came from. This is important to me as a reviewer, because if a book came from an author or a publisher, I have to note that in my review due to federal reviewing guidelines.)

If I have 10 Genre tags and 10 Source tags, and I use one of each for each book, that's...a LOT of permutations to sort through if I were to do an export along the lines of:

{tags}/{author} - {title}

Is there a way in Calibre to designate WHICH tags are allowed for use in the send-to-device naming? If I could set it up so that only my Genre tags are used or only my Source tags are used, that would mean I would only have 10 folders to sort through instead of 100 or whatever.

I realize this would be kind of tricky to implement - you'd have to generate a list of all the existing tags and let the user pick which ones are used in the {tags} variable, but I thought it might not hurt to ask if it was on the list...

Thank you again - I LOVE CALIBRE!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'm also wondering... There's the option to organize the books by tags, but I use my tags to indicate Genre and Source (i.e., where the book came from. This is important to me as a reviewer, because if a book came from an author or a publisher, I have to note that in my review due to federal reviewing guidelines.)

If I have 10 Genre tags and 10 Source tags, and I use one of each for each book, that's...a LOT of permutations to sort through if I were to do an export along the lines of:

{tags}/{author} - {title}

Is there a way in Calibre to designate WHICH tags are allowed for use in the send-to-device naming? If I could set it up so that only my Genre tags are used or only my Source tags are used, that would mean I would only have 10 folders to sort through instead of 100 or whatever.

I realize this would be kind of tricky to implement - you'd have to generate a list of all the existing tags and let the user pick which ones are used in the {tags} variable, but I thought it might not hurt to ask if it was on the list...
There is nothing like that on the to-do list.

The 'right' way to do this is not to intermix dissimilar information in the same field, but instead to make custom columns that hold a particular information type. In your case, given that you say there is one value per book, create a text 'genre' column and a text 'reviewers' column. You can them choose which column to use in templates according to the need-of-the-moment.

If you might have more than one reviewer/genre for a book (which is likely for genre), use a tags-like custom column.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Chaley,

Naw, I'm pretty anal about one-source-per-book and one-genre-per-book. I didn't know about the custom columns, so I will definitely see if I can't use those instead of tags - that sounds like exactly what I need. Thank you!!

EDIT: That worked perfectly - thank you again!

Last edited by anamardoll; 04-19-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Advert