Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Angry The Government is killing people!

What may look like a pretty picture is actually a plan to kill off old people!

For the forth time in less than 24 hours I've been shoveling snow. You have to do it BY LAW! A couple of people in this area have been fined over $1000 for not shoveling!

And they well know that a number of people will have heart attacks and die. They just don't care! In fact it's so common that it rarely gets a mention in the newspapers or on TV.

Stop the carnage now!
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
In Toronto, the outer, newer suburbs with wide sidewalks have their walks shoveled by the city with little Bobcat(?) plows. Downtown, with narrow sidewalks and cars parked right beside the walk, the residents have 12 hours after the snow stops to do their shoveling. If city workers do it later (and they aren't too strict), the cost gets added to the owner's tax bill. But seniors and disabled people are exempted, the city will do theirs for them. You need to talk to your council!
In St John's, Newfoundland, as I understand, there is no shoveling bylaw and nobody does it. Roads get plowed, though, so that's where you find the pedestrians. Makes the winter walk somewhat dangerous... they get more snow than Toronto!
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

For the forth time in less than 24 hours I've been shoveling snow. You have to do it BY LAW! A couple of people in this area have been fined over $1000 for not shoveling!

And they well know that a number of people will have heart attacks and die. They just don't care! In fact it's so common that it rarely gets a mention in the newspapers or on TV.

Stop the carnage now!
I can sympathize....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
In Toronto, the outer, newer suburbs with wide sidewalks have their walks shoveled by the city with little Bobcat(?) plows. Downtown, with narrow sidewalks and cars parked right beside the walk, the residents have 12 hours after the snow stops to do their shoveling. If city workers do it later (and they aren't too strict), the cost gets added to the owner's tax bill. But seniors and disabled people are exempted, the city will do theirs for them. You need to talk to your council!
In St John's, Newfoundland, as I understand, there is no shoveling bylaw and nobody does it. Roads get plowed, though, so that's where you find the pedestrians. Makes the winter walk somewhat dangerous... they get more snow than Toronto!
I thought that Toronto calls in the army to shovel their snow.

The rest of Canada will never forget.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Must be a local law, becuase I don't think that the US Federal Government has any authority in this matter.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Nope, don't have to shovel the walkways here!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Downtown, with narrow sidewalks and cars parked right beside the walk, the residents have 12 hours after the snow stops to do their shoveling.
Whoa... what if you're on vacation or a business trip when it snows?
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My local government will get angry with me if I don't but the worst thing they could possibly do to me if I don't is to give me some dirty looks and be really pissed off.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

Stop the carnage now!
That is just awful for you people. I fully sympathize with you.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-29-2011 at 03:37 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It's a city law in Columbus, as well, although I don't know how often it's enforced.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm pretty sure it's not a law anywhere that you have to do it yourself. There are lots of people who love to do shovel sidewalks for a few bucks. And maybe even some (okay, maybe deranged) friends or relatives who would do it for nothing.

And may I say that is a lovely photo, SOS. I love that time of the late afternoon when refracted sunlight turns the tree tops red. They're lovely in the snow. (says the dog who lives in Houston)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm pretty sure it's not a law anywhere that you have to do it yourself. There are lots of people who love to do shovel sidewalks for a few bucks. And maybe even some (okay, maybe deranged) friends or relatives who would do it for nothing.

And may I say that is a lovely photo, SOS. I love that time of the late afternoon when refracted sunlight turns the tree tops red. They're lovely in the snow. (says the dog who lives in Houston)
Thanks about the photo. The sky was almost completely gray when the early morning sun peaked thru. I ran inside for the camera and just caught it. Ten minutes later it was all gray again.

Then back to more shoveling.

"There are lots of people who love to do shovel sidewalks for a few bucks."

The law says us old folk have to do it ourselves. I think that it has to do with lowering Medicare coasts. Or something like that, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Nope, don't have to shovel the walkways here!
What about chipping away the lava when it covers the sidewalk?

WARNING - The OP is prone to flippancy and foolishness.
Any serious responces calls into question, ummm, all kinds of things.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
What about chipping away the lava when it covers the sidewalk?

WARNING - The OP is prone to flippancy and foolishness.
Any serious responces calls into question, ummm, all kinds of things.
Naw, that's over in Grace's neck of the lava fields. Only thing we worry about is the sand washed in by the tsunamis.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Oh, my aching back. This shoveling has got to stop!

Forget asking neighborhood kids to shovel. They wanted $300 to shovel my neighbor's walkway and half of her driveway. Such enterprising teenagers we have.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
If any municipality informs me that I'm required to shovel snow, guess where the shovel's going...
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote