Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Will Calibre work with the iPad?

If I buy an iPad is there any reason why I could not use it to create ebook documents for the iPad, just like I use it today to create ebook documents of magazines like The Economist for my Kindle?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hard to say for certain since just now the iPad is just a lot of hype. But in principle, epubs you create with calibre should work fine on the iPad and you should be able to browse your calibre collection conveniently via the calibre content server, using safari on the iPad.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Considering how Apple does all in its power to force you to use their proprietary iTunes, I very much doubt we will ever see iPad support in Calibre. Hell, iPod Touch (v2) is still not supported by anything besides iTunes, and it's been here for such a long time!
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You definitely wont be able to plugin the iPad and have calibre recognize it as a USB device, but you should be able to access your catalog using the calibre content server, just as you can on the iPod and iPhone.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I think they said the iPad would be mountable as a usb disk (unlike an iphone) so you should be able to get pdf and epub content onto it that way. Guess we'll have to wait another two months to know for sure though.
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As they said that iPhone apps should work on the iPad I guess that means there should be no reason why Stanza will not work.

I think it could be highly likely that any apps/functionality appearing on the iPad may also make ther way to the iPod/iTouch range as well.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
Hi, guys. I started out with a Sony PRS-505 & 700 and have since begun doing all of my reading on my Ipod Touch. I plan to sell both of my Sonys to help pay for the 64gb Ipad.

Do you expect me to be able to upload my books directly (epub) directly to the ipad or will anything need to be done in the Calibre preferences? Like page width, etc?
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Considering how Apple does all in its power to force you to use their proprietary iTunes, I very much doubt we will ever see iPad support in Calibre. Hell, iPod Touch (v2) is still not supported by anything besides iTunes, and it's been here for such a long time!
Try http://www.getsharepod.com
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

We'll just have to wait and see until the iPad is released.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
HarryO53
Enthusiast
HarryO53 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Plenty of software out there that works with the Touch. Markspace.com....The Missing Sync and associated software. Not to mention the number of free apps out there that allow cross-syncing of any iPod.

Harry
HarryO53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
withjoy
withjoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm not sure if this is obvious or not, but I did find a way to put books on the iPad. I converted the file to epub in Calibre and then in iTunes I used "Add to Library." After I synced my iPad, the book was in the "iBooks" app just like any other book. It's not as smooth as transferring to the Kindle, but it worked!
withjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #12
sk8bit
MR. SB
sk8bit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by withjoy View Post
I'm not sure if this is obvious or not, but I did find a way to put books on the iPad. I converted the file to epub in Calibre and then in iTunes I used "Add to Library." After I synced my iPad, the book was in the "iBooks" app just like any other book. It's not as smooth as transferring to the Kindle, but it worked!
Yea, I did the same thing but the issue I'm having is that all my PDF's that were converted to ePUB's are really out of wack. I could read them but the table of contents isn't accurate, it takes a lot longer to load pages in the iBook app, and the paragraphs are spaced inaccurately or indents are made in the wrong places.

If you managed to find a way or you know which settings to make the output so that everything is converted properly then please let me know.
sk8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
Firepong
Firepong began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Pandigital Novel, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8bit View Post
Yea, I did the same thing but the issue I'm having is that all my PDF's that were converted to ePUB's are really out of wack. I could read them but the table of contents isn't accurate, it takes a lot longer to load pages in the iBook app, and the paragraphs are spaced inaccurately or indents are made in the wrong places.

If you managed to find a way or you know which settings to make the output so that everything is converted properly then please let me know.
When I come around stuff like this, I say try to find a better version of whatever book your reading. If you cannot find a better version, you will have to downloAd a program called Sigil and mess with the book a little yourself after it is converted over to ePub. It's usually what I'm having to do when I cannot find a better version.

And also, on most of your eBooks you find, their is not a working contents page. On 75% of all the eBooks I hVe bought/downloaded, I have had to go in and code in the ToC AFTER converting to ePub because the ToC it did have if it had one did not transfer or would not work right, even after messing with all of the settings. And if it didn't have a ToC all together, I would have to code one in.
Firepong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
sk8bit
MR. SB
sk8bit began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepong View Post
When I come around stuff like this, I say try to find a better version of whatever book your reading. If you cannot find a better version, you will have to downloAd a program called Sigil and mess with the book a little yourself after it is converted over to ePub. It's usually what I'm having to do when I cannot find a better version.

And also, on most of your eBooks you find, their is not a working contents page. On 75% of all the eBooks I hVe bought/downloaded, I have had to go in and code in the ToC AFTER converting to ePub because the ToC it did have if it had one did not transfer or would not work right, even after messing with all of the settings. And if it didn't have a ToC all together, I would have to code one in.
I'll give Sigil a try and when I get home, I love my iPad but this is becoming a real project. I'm pretty sure soon or later someone is going to add an export profile for Calibre or just another program. To many people are having the same issue .
sk8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8bit View Post
I'll give Sigil a try and when I get home, I love my iPad but this is becoming a real project. I'm pretty sure soon or later someone is going to add an export profile for Calibre or just another program. To many people are having the same issue .
You may find it is just easier to get the GoodReader app for your iPad. This way you won't need to do any conversions and can consume the PDFs as-s.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote