Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I was thinking I was missing out on something here by not knowing who this Pogue guy is until someone said New York Times. At that point I knew EXACTLY why I have no idea who this guy is and I am totally ok with that. I wouldn't wrap dead fish with the NYT; I respect the fish too much.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I was thinking I was missing out on something here by not knowing who this Pogue guy is until someone said New York Times. At that point I knew EXACTLY why I have no idea who this guy is and I am totally ok with that. I wouldn't wrap dead fish with the NYT; I respect the fish too much.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
I guess the same review in the Washington Times would be glowing???
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Pogue is surely missing some important points - E-ink = low battery usage, E-ink = kinder to eyes than backlit screens. And maybe they can't see much sunlight in all that NY smog, but living in a place with lots of sunshine I'll bet my E-ink reader copes with outdoor reading conditions a lot better!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I totally agree, only I would extend that to nearly any newspaper or magazine.

It is nearly impossible to have respect for modern journalists...period! Back when newspapers actually ruled as far as the news went, a journalist who couldn't spell and/or write a grammatically correct sentence was soon unemployed. The same went for magazines. Today it is very common to read articles online at CNN, ABC, MSNBC, any major newspaper, et cetera that are riddled with typos and poorly written. Many of the so-called journalists today cannot even form a decent paragraph!
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #21
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I totally agree, only I would extend that to nearly any newspaper or magazine.

It is nearly impossible to have respect for modern journalists...period! Back when newspapers actually ruled as far as the news went, a journalist who couldn't spell and/or write a grammatically correct sentence was soon unemployed. The same went for magazines. Today it is very common to read articles online at CNN, ABC, MSNBC, any major newspaper, et cetera that are riddled with typos and poorly written. Many of the so-called journalists today cannot even form a decent paragraph!
Absolutely agreed, though I do hold special disdain for the New York Slimes... errr Times. But yes, I agree with you 100%.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #22
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
It's been widely rumored that the first page in the AP Reporter's Handbook for newbies used to be "A Burro is an ass. A Burrow is a hole in the ground. You are expected to know the difference." With the quality of reporting we seem to see today, methinks that page has been removed.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
well he just added a video to his review

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/...tter-nook.html
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #24
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Without Pogue and Mossberg, I think Apple might have died before the iPhone was invented. And without the iPhone, we wouldn't have Droid phones or the Android OS today.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
I don't really want to start a fight, but I can't tell if you are serious or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Without Pogue and Mossberg, I think Apple might have died before the iPhone was invented.
You greatly overestimate the impact of Pogue and Mossberg (most of the people here haven't even heard of them), and Apple does have a recent history of releasing well-designed products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
And without the iPhone, we wouldn't have Droid phones or the Android OS today.
Google bought Android in 2005, while the iPhone wasn't released until 2007 (with "Apps" not being available until the middle of 2008). Perhaps you could argue that Apple demonstrated that high-margin phones were a viable market, but I find it very difficult to believe that it wouldn't have happened.

Also, why the distinction between Verizon Droid handsets and Android?
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
I don't really want to start a fight, but I can't tell if you are serious or not.

You greatly overestimate the impact of Pogue and Mossberg (most of the people here haven't even heard of them), and Apple does have a recent history of releasing well-designed products.

Google bought Android in 2005, while the iPhone wasn't released until 2007 (with "Apps" not being available until the middle of 2008). Perhaps you could argue that Apple demonstrated that high-margin phones were a viable market, but I find it very difficult to believe that it wouldn't have happened.

Also, why the distinction between Verizon Droid handsets and Android?
Pogue may not have a large impact with this crowd, but this crowd is a very small percantage of the mainstream. Heck most of the mainstream readers probably have never heard of this site outside of a google search of Kindle vs nook or Sony etc.

Pogue has a very strong influence in the "Yuppy" circles and the sort of well to do mainstream. And trust me that market is much bigger than our own little world here.

The crowd who he tailors too buy the most electronic gadgets. Most of them are clueless.

If you have an electronic product, trust me you want a good review from Pogue.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Pogue was a writer for Macworld magazine, the be-all end-all of Apple fandom in the 80s and 90s. Of course, he was influential. Whether or not he holds the same sway today is another story.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well I'm 53 years young. I started out with a Tandy (Radio Shack ) TRS-80 pocket computer. A fairly nice, glorified calculator with BASIC embedded so that you could program your own tiny apps. I then went to an Atari 400 to better learn BASIC (never cared for gaming) and finally an Apple II+. Okay so I'm old and I was long before Pogue was. I owned Macs from the mid-1980s (starting with the Mac SE) through the mid-1990s (when Macs had long lost their edge and were utter junk). My last Mac was from the horrible Performa line. I had subscriptions to Macworld and a few other Apple related magazines. But I HAVE NEVER heard of Pogue. If he was around he certainly never impressed me enough to remember his name. Mossberg on the other hand I well remember from the 1990s onward, though I've mostly thought of him as an ill informed techie wannabee.

True, Apple has some good hardware, and have had through all but the 1990s sucky period. But to be honest, little of anything Apple has turned out has been original. They have been good at copying what others create and improving it and marketing it extremely well. But Apple stuff is basically way overrated, overpriced, and Jobs has become 1000x worse than the 1984 Big Brother image he placed on IBM. An image which of course was copied from Orrwells's 1984.

I think the only influence Pogue and Mossberg have are among the intellectually and technologically challenged, who are too ignorant to see the ignorance of Pogue and Mossberg.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-11-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #29
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Pogue's column was always the last page of Macworld, right after the big ad for Netscape :P The one thing I remember of his was a prediction of MS Word 15 in the early 90s, as sung to the tune of "Jingle Bells." No, he was never that great, but he injected some humor into the magazine.

I think he also wrote the "Macs for Dummies" book, if that gives any indication of his expertise
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
... right after the big ad for Netscape...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote