Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
Help Sony service sucks

Hi I got an sony e-reader 500 for christmas I live in Canada and my sister thought it would be perfect. Except I can't get any non classical non textbook. Connect will not except a non-US based credit card and sony service people either tell me that it is pointless that quote Canadians just aren't interested in this kind of product! Are they frinkin kidding me, or that connect doesn't support non us citizens duh its a credit card address. I have bought sony products all over the world including japan and Turkey.. What am I supposed to do. Can someone help me?

Stephanie
Elora, Ontario CANADA
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sminarovich View Post
... Connect will not except a non-US based credit card and sony service people either tell me that it is pointless that quote Canadians just aren't interested in this kind of product!
They really said that to you?!? Wow.

If you want to buy ebooks from Sony, send a pm to Leaping Gnome. This member buys Sony gift cards for Reader owners not in the US.

Or, you could buy the ebooks in MSReader LIT format and convert them using ConvertLIT and libprs500.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, sminarovich!

If I'm interpreting correctly, you're trying to find books to read, preferably some that were written more recently than 1932? Is that correct?

Assuming it is, I'd suggest you simply look at other e-book stores. Fictionwise.com sells some of its offerings in LRF format (the non-encrypted version of Sony's format).

Also, since the Reader will handle RTF files without conversion, you can read anything you can get in RTF format. If you like Sci-Fi, check out Baen Publishing's Webscriptions store, they sell new titles in RTF format, with no copy restrictions on the files so you can do what you like with them as far as moving them around.

If you're not adverse to some conversion, you can convert files to LRF which will get you some improved performance over RTF without much work (I recommend BookDesigner and libprs500 for that purpose).

Also, if you care to do so, you can always buy books in .LIT format (one which is quite widely available), and convert them to whatever you need, there's an unfortunately named application called ConvertLIT, or CLIT, which can handle that for you.

If you just desperately want to by books from Sony's store, there is a forum member named Leaping Gnome who buys gift certificates for non-U.S. members which can be used without a credit card.

That ought to get you started, anyway.

Please let me know if I've misinterpreted what you meant to ask.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thanks! Yes Some service twatt really said that. My mind sort went frizzy after that. Thanks for the advice.

stephanie, really glad to found this site
Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I got one for Christmas as well. I am a Canadian (from just down the road from you in Guelph) living in Japan.

I just signed up with the address of Tokyo, Alabama, USA 90210 and used my Japanese credit card and it worked without a problem. Maybe if you tried a different Canadian credit card it would be okay?

Or, as someone else said, the gift cards would work as well.

- Drew
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
sminarovich
Connoisseur

Smile Hey Japan

I used to work in Japan in Tsuchuria (sp awf) its been awhile, it's about 100km from Tokyo. Thanks for the advice i'll give it a try.

Stephanie