Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
MR crime/mysteries recommendations sought

Hey guys, I am going to be off the internet for an extended period starting next week. I would like to download a ton of books from the MR library to hold me over.

I have already downloaded a great deal of spiritual reading, thanks to the efforts of Patricia and GhostHawk. I also have all of the PG Wodehouse which are available in formats other than LRF.

I am now looking to download mysteries and spy novels.

So far I have all of the Raymond Chandler and the Richard Hannay Omnibus.

Could you please suggest others here at MR that you have enjoyed?

Last edited by GA Russell; 05-27-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
All Philo Vance books by S.S. van Dine.

EDIT: Also books by Norbert Davis - some Doan & Carstairs books are here.

Last edited by Krystian Galaj; 05-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Krystian. It's funny that you should mention Norbert Davis. I thought I downloaded some of his from Munsey's two weeks ago, but they are not showing up on my jetBook Lite. I'm glad they are here, and I'll do it again with the MR library.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm not sure what format you use, so I didn't put in the links.

Leblanc, Maurice is one I haven't read but just recently caught my eye (especially, when I saw this one ): Arsene Lupin vs Herlock Sholmes, the Blonde Lady -- uploaded by crutledge

Quote:
Maurice-Marie-Émile Leblanc (11 November 1864 - 6 November 1941) was a French novelist and writer of short stories, known primarily as the creator of the fictional gentleman thief and detective Arsène Lupin, often described as a French counterpart to Conan Doyle's creation Sherlock Holmes.
Maurice LeBlanc became famous for the creation of Arsene Lupin, a gentleman thief and master of disguise. LeBlanc was born to a wealthy family, studied law, worked as a police reporter for a time, then found his career as a fiction writer. His first Lupin novel was hugely popular and set the pattern for his career. While LeBlanc wrote much other fiction, it was the Lupin series which made him internationally famous, the French equivalent of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Hornung, E.W.: Raffles Omnibus -- uploaded by HarryT
from HarryT's post which is from wikipedia
Quote:
A.J. Raffles is a character created in the 1890s by E. W. Hornung, a brother-in-law to Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes. Raffles is, in many ways, a deliberate inversion of Holmes — he is a "gentleman thief," living in "The Albany", a very upscale address in London, playing cricket for the "Gentlemen of England" and supporting himself by carrying out ingenious burglaries. He is called the "Amateur Cracksman," and often, at first, differentiates between himself and the "professors" — professional criminals from the lower classes.
I've also enjoyed Tey, Josephine.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks, dreams.

I should have mentioned that I use ePub and Mobi/PRC.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Jaques Futrelle
Wilkie Collins
Edgar Allan Poe
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks ficbot.

I've never heard of Jacques Futrelle, and he looks interesting. Unfortunately, he is only in LRF in the MR library. I'll see if I can find him elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks ficbot.

I've never heard of Jacques Futrelle, and he looks interesting. Unfortunately, he is only in LRF in the MR library. I'll see if I can find him elsewhere.
Would Calibre convert an LRF to the format of your choice if needed?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Bilbo, I didn't think about that! I've never used Calibre, and it didn't occur to me.

I'll study up on it tonight and give it a try. One of the two Futrelle selections in the MR library is a collection of 38 short stories. I have found a number of the short stories at Munsey's and Manybooks, but not the collection of all 38.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks again Bilbo. I've just converted Futrelle's The Thinking Man Omnibus to ePub. I had planned to convert it to Mobi, but I didn't see where to make the choice. It just automatically chose ePub for me, which is fine.

It's big. It's an omnibus, after all. I probably should be experimenting with a smaller book. Over the weekend I will load it and all of my other recent downloads onto my jetBook Lite, and we'll see if it will display it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I converted the LRF to mobi no problem with Calibre. I discovered Futrelle when I read 'The Problem of Cell 13' in an anthology. I went looking for it on MR and discovered a whole book of them. He was known for the 'locked room' mystery, which is what the story I read was. Basically, the main character makes a wager that he can break out of any room they put him in, so they lock him in the Most Secure Jail Cell ever, and on the appointed day, check to see if he is gone. He is, and the bulk of the story is him recounting how he did it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

The Futrelle omnibus didn't come out. I got only one story.

I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
"Never Say No to a Killer" by Clifton Adams. Very hard boiled, in the Chandler style. Two thumbs up.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Doreen. I've downloaded the one you recommend and also Death's Sweet Song.

I've also downloaded the Futrelle omnibus again. I think I know what my mistake was, and I think I got it right this time.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #15
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Hey guys, I am going to be off the internet for an extended period starting next week. I would like to download a ton of books from the MR library to hold me over.

I have already downloaded a great deal of spiritual reading, thanks to the efforts of Patricia and GhostHawk. I also have all of the PG Wodehouse which are available in formats other than LRF.

I am now looking to download mysteries and spy novels.

So far I have all of the Raymond Chandler and the Richard Hannay Omnibus.

Could you please suggest others here at MR that you have enjoyed?
if you want to read crime and mystery books in my opinion you should read these authors first

agatha christie
sir arthur conan doyle
lawrence block
erle stanley gardner
carter dickson
raymond chandler
mickey spillane
jack higgins

if you want book name
i can advise specific books to you
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote