Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Pennsylvania libraries & e-books

If you have a library card in Pennsylvania you may be in luck. They have a lending system called "Access PA".

This is from the site where I learned about it.

"If your library card has a blue and white Access PA* sticker, it can be used in most public libraries in Pennsylvania..."

http://www.delcolibraries.org/Librar...QsPolicies.htm

I just put in for a "Free Library of Philadelphia" card. They have a listing of 1191 e-books and 3171 audio-books.

Searching for E books can be kind of hard though. Bucks County, my local library, doesn't "carry" e-books at all. It does, however, have downloadable audiobooks.

Each library seem to run its' website in its very own, unique, way.

Hope for the best.

Any suggestions on a good library to join?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Were you able to log in without picking up a card in Philly? I knew about this program but assumed I had to go and pick up the card in the district I wanted the ebooks from.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I registered online at:
http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm

Library Cards
A Free Library card is available at no cost to anyone who lives, works, pays taxes, or goes to school in the City of Philadelphia. In addition, anyone who is 65 or older or who has a valid card with an Access PA sticker from another Pennsylvania library can obtain a Free Library card without charge. Out-of-state residents can obtain a card by paying an annual fee of $15.00.

Cards should arrive in the mail in 5-10 business days. Keep in mind that you’ll need to show ID the first time you use your card.

The last part is, I suppose, for checking out physical material.

For those not in Philadelphia, or without an "Access PA" library card, it seems that you can pay only a $15.00 fee.

I checked with some of the other library web pages from around the country. Many state that the "out of area" fee is equal to the county property tax that residents pay. Sounds fine with me.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Oh, if this works out it will be so great!

I've checked other libraries around the country too; it seemed that most said you had to apply in person, and the fee was much higher. Let's hope!

pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #5
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Do most libraries use the same DRM system? And if so - what is it?

I think it's fantastic that ebooks are finally appearing there.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I think most ebooks that libraries loan are Adobe e-pub or Adobe pdf; at least if they use Overdrive.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Do most libraries use the same DRM system? ...
I was going to say "Don't know, don't care", but then remembered that my first ereader (an EBW-1150 also) couldn't handle DRM.

I think that most libraries use DRM handled through OverDrive.

While I would not (normally) think of buying a DRMed book I will have no problem with borrowing one.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
That's the very ebook reader I use now (EBW-1150). I actually like the backlit LCD and use it in low light/the dark all the time.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I have an Access PA sticker on the back of one of my cards, but I didn't realize it was only $15. I might just pay for it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Even the $15 is pretty reasonable if you are an out of towner spending some time there.

The way publishers are now I am suprised they haven't tried to shut down library e-book lending altogether.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
HorridRedDog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have an Access PA sticker on the back of one of my cards, but I didn't realize it was only $15. I might just pay for it. Thanks for the heads up!
Better re-read that posting!

"In addition, anyone who is 65 or older or who has a valid card with an Access PA sticker from another Pennsylvania library can obtain a Free Library card without charge."
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Better re-read that posting!

"In addition, anyone who is 65 or older or who has a valid card with an Access PA sticker from another Pennsylvania library can obtain a Free Library card without charge."
No I saw that. But if it's a big effort to coordinate the Access part then I wouldn't mind just paying the $15.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
HorridRedDog
Addict

The "Access PA" sticker just means that your library is participating member of the "Access PA" system.

Think of it as a larger "inter-library" lending program.

I went to http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm and filled out the online form. You have to do that any way. Even if you want to pay $15.

If you want to make a donation go to http://www.freelibrary.org/donate/donate.htm

The first time that you want to take out physical material (books, audiobooks, etc) you have to show ID just like you did for your first library card.

But as you already have a card from a participating PA library they will mail you a card for their library.

As I understand it - at that point you can go online to download e-books and audiobooks.

I've downloaded audiobooks from my local Bucks county with no problems at all. I filled out pretty much the same form both times.

What I do not know is if I need to get a card from each Library system that I want to use. I think so though.