Notices

Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Oldskool360
Oldskool360 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360 Plus
how to hard reset pocketbook 360?

This is driving me crazy. There is one chapter in the manual that says this:

Safe mode
Safe Mode - the service mode booting device to factory settings.
TO booting device in safe mode, following:
Press and hold down the "Left" button while powering the device.
Press and hold down the "Right" while powering up the device.

I have way too many questions about this. What's the difference between powering and powering up? Does this mean hold both buttons down while powering up, or hold one and then switch to another? I even looked at the Russian manual (of course the German manual, the language I can actually speak, didn't even have this chapter) to try to see if there was any more clarity but Google translate wasn't very helpful. I've tried various combinations of what I think they may be trying to convey but my device starts up non reset each time...Has anyone done this and know the right sequence?
Oldskool360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
First, do you have a real problem or are you just preparing, in case?
Second, unless your PB360 is running firmware 15.1, it is actualy very stable.
Third, most lockups can be fixed with the reset button next to the battery.
The restore to factory condition hard reset is most useful when you've been tweaking system settings or exploring the envelope. And even then, it is rare to need to go that far.

Anyway, powering refers to connecting the 360 to a power source, say, a usb power adapter.
Powering up refers to turning the reader on.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Oldskool360

I don't want to reflash or anything because I have a firmware that I can't even find for download online, 15.4.

I would like to get my original FBreader back because I am having issues with coolreader and the new FBreader that I can't seem to resolve.

I still can't follow the instructions. When I power the device it powers on immediately so I don't know at what point I should be pressing the right button.

Last edited by Oldskool360; 07-11-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You should be holding the buttons before and during power up.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Oldskool360

So both the left and the right buttons? I could have sworn I've tried that in every combination.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetdream View Post
So both the left and the right buttons? I could have sworn I've tried that in every combination.
Connect to power adapter.
Switch off using power button.
With one hand hold upper button.
With second hand hold lower button.
With third hand (still holding the two buttons) press and release power.
Follow further instructions on screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Violet,
if I understood well another one of your messages, you have a 360 Plus, right? I think it would help if you edited your profile, just to avoid confusion, since as far as I am aware the frimware of the plus is akin to that of the "Pro" models, and different from the "old" 360.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Oldskool360

Sorry, I keep forgetting how different they are. I'm going to change that right now. Do these instructions hold for the plus?
Old 12-06-2014, 02:14 AM   #9
meika
meika began at the beginning.

Device: palm, sony xperia with Moonreader, Pocketbook 360 plus, Pocketbook 613
I've a pocketbook 360º plus that can be turned on and off via the power button but the screen remains the same. I've pressed the reset button next to the battery with the back cover removed, while the green light is on. Nothing.

How long do I hold the reset down for?

've tried the reset button when off. But no nothing.

I've tried the reset button while the USB power is plugged in on a red light. Nothing.

I've tried holding the big buttons down while holding the on button on (from off).
I've tried sepearately too.
And the middle button.

How long for exactly?

The screen remains the same.
meika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by meika View Post
I've a pocketbook 360º plus that can be turned on and off via the power button but the screen remains the same. I've pressed the reset button next to the battery with the back cover removed, while the green light is on. Nothing.
Try to remove the battery for a minute. And then start the reader. This is the ultimate reset.
If that doesn't help, I am afraid some hardware is broken and screen is frozen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
meika
meika began at the beginning.

Device: palm, sony xperia with Moonreader, Pocketbook 360 plus, Pocketbook 613
thank you,

The battery connector plug would not budge from the socket. I squashed the plug a little with my needle nose pliers. Using a wooden skewer I dislogded the black wire.

I disconnected the battery, and left it out overnight, but no luck. It was the same as before.

While it powered on to a green light before, some days later the screen has faded and does not power on from the battery.

HOWEVER, on plugging in the USB power it has restarted, i.e. auto re-booted, and and it all seems good.

?!?

My advice is do not give up. I have yet to try the reset option.
meika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The problem with these devices is that they are really computers with complex OSes, just like desktops and laptops, but they don't have a console screen where you can see what's happening. There are filesystems on ereaders, and just like on other computers, they can get corrupted and need to be repaired. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other cases where some program is waiting in vain for some response from the user, where no response is possible. From outside, it looks like the ereader is broken because it won't start up normally, but it could just be a simple problem. It's too bad you can't do something like hook up the device via a USB cable and get access to the system console to at least see what the problem is. All you can currently do is wait and hope for things to fix themselves.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote