Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
They charge 8.9% (according to their website) to exchange the coins for other currency, but it is waived when you go for the gift cards (presumably subsidized by the merchants). So by going for the Amazon gift card, I get the full value of my coins to use.
I do have a large chunk o' change in a couple of jars at home. Between the Oprah discount and the Coinstar Amazon certificate, Mom just might get a Kindle for Christmas.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wells Fargo takes big, loose change, at least they did as of last summer, when I did it last. No fee with them.

Regions apparently takes change too, but I haven't done this with them since we switched (no WF banks where we live now), so I don't know about fees, but they didn't mention one when I asked about it.

I tend to use mine for splurging too, but I just put it in my checking and spend from there. Doesn't really take too much discipline that way.

I collect my change in a 22" high plastic Coke bottle bank. I'm currently trying to fill the whole thing (6" so far) but my wife keeps raiding it for quarters, I want to see how much it adds up to when it's full. Past experience suggests that the 6" is around $300, but like I said, my wife's been raiding it for quarters.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
but like I said, my wife's been raiding it for quarters.

Maybe you need to drop a hand full of $1 coins in it to make up for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Maybe you need to drop a hand full of $1 coins in it to make up for that.
But I like those! I like to use them as part of a tip at restaurants. No real reason for it, I just find it amusing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But I like those! I like to use them as part of a tip at restaurants. No real reason for it, I just find it amusing.
I wish we would go ahead and stop printing paper $s. It has been put off three times now... due to people not wanting to change. But, to me we are just wasting money printing $1 notes. I also thing we should stop making pennies too. This would allow room in the cash draw for the $1 coin better.

BOb
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wish we would go ahead and stop printing paper $s. It has been put off three times now... due to people not wanting to change. But, to me we are just wasting money printing $1 notes. I also thing we should stop making pennies too. This would allow room in the cash draw for the $1 coin better.

BOb
Coins are too heavy and bulky. I prefer paper.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Maybe because it cost money? At least in Sweden you have to pay for a bank to accept a lot of coins.
You don't have to pay in the UK, but it does have to be properly sorted into bags, each with a specified amount of one type of coin. I guess the machine saves you the effort of having to sort and count the coins.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Coins are too heavy and bulky. I prefer paper.
Bah... you never need to carry more than a few of them. When change is made it will never be more than 4 of them. Do you need to carry around quarters, dimes an nickles. Only when you get some change.

People in Canada do fine with out a $1 note... they actually have a $1 and a $2 coin. I don't think there is a 1€ either... is there?

Your attitude is one of the reasons we spend millions of $s printing the notes. In these times wouldn't you rather save the US government millions of $s if it only meant carrying around a few $ coins or getting them for change here and there?

BOb
Old 10-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

Your attitude is one of the reasons we spend millions of $s printing the notes. In these times wouldn't you rather save the US government millions of $s if it only meant carrying around a few $ coins or getting them for change here and there?

BOb
Majority rules! Whoo hoo!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Majority rules! Whoo hoo!
How many times has there been something new that you didn't try or want to do because you thought it would be so terrible... but, when you finally were forced to do it, it wasn't so bad... actually maybe better than before? I think this applies here.

Example, my mom used to walk with a portable CD player. I asked here if she might like an iPod... she said she didn't need it, to hard to use, etc, etc. Well, she finally got one of the new Nano's... I got here a gift card for 1 year of audible.com (audio books) and she is just overjoyed with it. It is so light and easy to use, and it doesn't skip while she walks, it remembers her place in the book, etc.

BOb
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just to toss in my 2 cents (HA!), I love you both the same. Coins are indeed heavy, but bills are rife with filth like e.coli, staph, etc. Time and again, coins are tested and found to be mostly clean, with mostly inorganic dirt at worst. So coins are heavier-but-healthier.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #27
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
By the way, as a public service to you all, just send me all of your dirty old bills and I'll return it as coins. Service fees, shipping, and handling will apply.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
How many times has there been something new that you didn't try or want to do because you thought it would be so terrible... but, when you finally were forced to do it, it wasn't so bad... actually maybe better than before? I think this applies here.

Example, my mom used to walk with a portable CD player. I asked here if she might like an iPod... she said she didn't need it, to hard to use, etc, etc. Well, she finally got one of the new Nano's... I got here a gift card for 1 year of audible.com (audio books) and she is just overjoyed with it. It is so light and easy to use, and it doesn't skip while she walks, it remembers her place in the book, etc.

BOb
BOb, I'm not really going to get into this conversation. I have not researched the pros and cons of paper vs. coins. I just gave you my thoughts based on how I feel about carrying a lot of coins (which is why I have jars of coins).

And obviously, that fact that I have a Kindle (and a lot of tech toys) means I'm not afraid to try new things but I don't have to be interested in every new thing that comes along.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
People in Canada do fine with out a $1 note... they actually have a $1 and a $2 coin. I don't think there is a 1€ either... is there?
Here in the UK we have a £1 and a £2 coin (our smallest note is £5) and the same is true in the Euro-zone countries too - €1 and €2 coins.

Whenever I visit the US I must admit that I find having to use $1 bills for such small value transactions is inconvenient; personally I find coins to be more convenient. There don't seem to be very many $2 bills around either, which makes it even more awkward.

Any idea why there's resistance to a $1 coin? It would seem to be very sensible. After all, you've had 25c coins for goodness knows how long, and 30 or 40 years ago that had the same "buying power" as $1 does today.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any idea why there's resistance to a $1 coin? It would seem to be very sensible. After all, you've had 25c coins for goodness knows how long, and 30 or 40 years ago that had the same "buying power" as $1 does today.
See Daffy's message for the reasons I have heard from most people. We already have $1 coins and most vending machines accept them. The Mint/Govt has just continued to put off dropping the note. It was planned back as far as the 80s if I remember correctly. Now, they are even introducing the "redesigned" $1 note soon, if it didn't already happen. Just a waste of money in my opinion.

BOb