Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
PDF -> MOBI Hangs at "Converting file to html..."

.I've read the Sticky here and the FAQ's on Calibre - Convert PDF documents and don't have a handle on the problem I'm experiencing. So, here's the info I can provide:

Older Dell GX280 w/Celeron 2.53 GHz and 1.74 GB RAM
Windows XP SP 3
Calibre 0.9.9

I understand that "To re-iterate PDF is a really, really bad format to use as input." I have not been able to find the article in any other format. I'm attempting to convert PDF to MOBI: Introduction to Organic Gardening.
  • I can open the PDF in Calibre, read and copy individual letters/words/paragraphs/etc.
  • The layout seems to be very simple index, pages and paragraphs
  • There are no images
  • It is not double column
  • I'm not worried about page numbering

I DID just notice there are some tables pgs 26-29 . . .

And, that's all I know!

John

After, currently, 155m, Progress is still at 1%. I let it run overnight once and never got any further. Have had a similar experience with a couple other PDF files. Would really appreciate any suggestions that would let this convert.

Job Details:

Convert book 1 of 1 (ORGANIC GARDENING)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.9.9
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., '\\s*((chapter|book|section|part)\\s+)|((prolog|pr ologue|epilogue)(\\s+|$))', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'C:\\DOCUME~1\\User\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\calibre_0.9. 9_tmp_zaqgwy\\zedu51.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'embed_font_family': None,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x033FB070>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': False,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_file_type': u'old',
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'mobi_keep_original_images': False,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'new_pdf_engine': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_images': False,
'no_inline_navbars': False,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.TabletOutput object at 0x033FB5B0>,
'page_breaks_before': u"//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']",
'personal_doc': None,
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'C:\\DOCUME~1\\User\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\calibre_0.9. 9_tmp_zaqgwy\\2uriy8.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': False,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'start_reading_at': None,
'subset_embedded_fonts': False,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_factor': 0.45,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: PDF Input running
on C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\calibre_0.9.9_tmp_z aqgwy\vdsrqs.pdf
Converting file to html...

Last edited by JohnTRN; 12-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@JohnTRN

I was able to convert the PDF to a PRC using the Windows program MobiCreator, then I converted the PRC to EPUB and MOBI with Calibre - which I've attached

The results aren't great, eg the Compost Recipe tables didn't convert too well, but the TOC works - although its wide, so you'll probably want to 'fix' it

Good luck with the garden

BR
Attached Files
File Type: epub ORGANIC GARDENING - Support Center.epub (77.4 KB, 277 views)
File Type: mobi ORGANIC GARDENING - Support Center.mobi (136.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: prc ORGANIC GARDENING - Support Center.prc (56.9 KB, 234 views)
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd also done a PDF to Word conversion using Nitro PDF Pro and sent John the output. He seemed pleased with the outcome.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@JohnTRN

I was able to convert the PDF to a PRC using the Windows program MobiCreator, then I converted the PRC to EPUB and MOBI with Calibre - which I've attached

The results aren't great, eg the Compost Recipe tables didn't convert too well, but the TOC works - although its wide, so you'll probably want to 'fix' it

Good luck with the garden

BR
Thanks BetterRed, I appreciate the efforts of you and PeterT. I didn't think of trying anything beside Calibre to convert . . . not sure I have any other conversion software. Appreciate the assistance!

Calibre is STILL a great program!

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote