Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
MBEnders
MBEnders began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I haven't been able to donate.

When I attempted to donate, the list of states on the dropdown menu were states in India. I live in the United States of America, so the list of Indian states instead of American states has made me unable to donate. I will gladly use calibre without donating, but if you really want a donation from me, the web page for donations needs to be fixed to accommodate Americans.
MBEnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
duluoz
Newsbeamer dev
duluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheeseduluoz can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBEnders View Post
When I attempted to donate, the list of states on the dropdown menu were states in India. I live in the United States of America, so the list of Indian states instead of American states has made me unable to donate. I will gladly use calibre without donating, but if you really want a donation from me, the web page for donations needs to be fixed to accommodate Americans.
You need to go to http://calibre-ebook.com/
click Donate to Calibre on the top right, then change your country to the US.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
MBEnders
MBEnders began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Unhappy Don't think I haven't tried that!

The first thing I did was to change the country to the United States. Just to be sure, I tried to donate again and made sure that I changed the country to the United States. When I saw the list of Indian states coming up on the drop down list, I looked up to see that the country chosen was the United States. It was.
MBEnders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's caused by a bug in PayPal, you have to enter an amount in the left column, only then change the country, otherwise the states list doesn't update. I reported this bug to PayPal three months ago, unfortunately, they, unlike calibre, seem not to care about bugs at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Uppercastle
Uppercastle began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
I haven't been able to donate

Dear Sir,

I was amazed what Calibre really can do: this certainly is an excellent piece of software with so many handy tools! For me it is unique and deserves to be called # 1 worldwide in ebook reading!

Now to my wish: I want to donate but not through paypal. It must be possible as I pay all my orders (Amazon & Co.) with my credit card. I assume that paypal relieves calibre of many headaches re: payment. But I know that there are many users out there who don't like paypal as yet another big octopus.
Do you have a solution?
Many thanks uppercastle https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/thumbsup.gif
Uppercastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppercastle View Post
Dear Sir,

I was amazed what Calibre really can do: this certainly is an excellent piece of software with so many handy tools! For me it is unique and deserves to be called # 1 worldwide in ebook reading!

Now to my wish: I want to donate but not through paypal. It must be possible as I pay all my orders (Amazon & Co.) with my credit card. I assume that paypal relieves calibre of many headaches re: payment. But I know that there are many users out there who don't like paypal as yet another big octopus.
Do you have a solution?
Many thanks uppercastle https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/thumbsup.gif
PayPal offers this functionality. When you go to the donation page you'll see a drop down on the right entitled "Don't have a PayPal account?". Clicking this will allow you to pay (through PayPal) using your normal credit card.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-20-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: correcting typo.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
PayPal offers this functionality. When you go to the donation page you'll see a drop down on the right entitled "Don't have a PayPal account?". Clicking this will allow you to pay (through PayPal) using your normal credit card.
Sorry, not using PayPal means just that. I strongly suspect that PayPal take a small percentage of any payment you have them handle, even if you don't have a PayPal account.

I use PayPal, but wouldn't mind an alternative. But I also suspect that the extra work wouldn't be worth it in increased donations...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no alternative to paypal, short of handling international credit card payments yourself. Which is just not a realistic possibility for something like calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Sorry, not using PayPal means just that. I strongly suspect that PayPal take a small percentage of any payment you have them handle, even if you don't have a PayPal account.
Well of course they do! They are operating a payment gateway.

All payment gateways charge by transaction. The vendor is charged a small fee, usually a percentage, for each sale. It's a business cost that the vendor chooses to pay in order to use the facilities of the gateway.

And as Kovid noted, when you want to use a single payment gateway that can operate globally your choices are limited to those big companies that can handle transactions in every territory.

Graham
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Well of course they do! They are operating a payment gateway.

All payment gateways charge by transaction. The vendor is charged a small fee, usually a percentage, for each sale. It's a business cost that the vendor chooses to pay in order to use the facilities of the gateway.
Yes, I have no problem with that. But some may not like PayPal specifically, and would prefer some alternative that doesn't give money to PayPal. That is how I perceived the post by Uppercastle.

I also agree that there currently is no alternative. PayPal has almost(?) a monopoly on small international payments.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Credit cards, PayPal - they all take their pound of flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Sorry, not using PayPal means just that. I strongly suspect that PayPal take a small percentage of any payment you have them handle,
As do credit card companies. It's why I don't use plastic when I patronize my local businesses and restaurants, even for some sizable purchases. CC companies also present a lot of practical problems to someone just trying to gather a few bucks on the web. Small businesses? They put a floor on the amount you can spend with a piece of plastic because of those "awesome" CC company swipe fees.

Make no mistake - magic plastic cards carry a tax, it's just that the customer usually doesn't pay it.

If you feel strongly about the leeching PP will do wrt your Calibre donation, do what I do every time I use PP and kick in a small percentage over and above. Making the payee jump through even more hoops to get paid doesn't do them any favors.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Again, I understand that both PayPal and credit card companies take their cut from transactions. That is how they make a living. The thing is I can change between different credit cards if I don't like a specific company and how they do other things. But unfortunately I don't have that option when it comes to PayPal, since they have all but a monopoly on small international payments.

Some people just don't like dealing with PayPal because it is PayPal and they have had some bad experiences from dealing with them. But, as I've also already said, there really is no good alternative in this case.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
there's always bank notes in a sealed envelope, sent at your own risk... I assume Kovid has an address!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
there's always bank notes in a sealed envelope, sent at your own risk... I assume Kovid has an address!
Cybe
We are talking International and Postal Service (and Customs) here . Delivery of Cash ??
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard

Just send Kovid an Amazon email gift voucher.

Mind you, if you don't like Amazon either...

Graham