Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Pardoner
Pardoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reading stats

E-readers provide the opportunity to analyse reading in real time like never before by simply logging what we read and when. Wouldn't it be interesting to know:
  • How long did I spend reading a book (both elapsed time and reading time)?
  • What is my reading speed?
  • Do I read faster or slower than others?
  • How long do most people take to read this book?
  • How much longer will it take me to reach the end of the chapter/the end of the book?
  • What percentage of readers carried on reading beyond this point?
  • When is the good bit (where other readers couldn't put the book down) coming?
  • Where did readers get bogged down?

Readers, writers and publishers would all benefit from these insights so why are e-readers not recording the data? Or are they? Am I missing something? Is there any add-in software that does this?
Pardoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I love data and would enjoy parsing a pile of that, but I wouldn't pay a penny more for my reader to be metrics enabled and a lot of people would cry foul is the manufacturer or proxies collected the data.

That said, maybe some enterprising coder will develop an app for that!
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Built in to the ereader? No thanks. Don't do loyalty cards and block webbugs. No need for advertisers to have any more information on me than they already have.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Personally, I always find that as soon as I begin quantifying anything, it becomes less of a hobby and more of a job. I just don't feel the need to "keep score" on my reading.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Personally, I always find that as soon as I begin quantifying anything, it becomes less of a hobby and more of a job. I just don't feel the need to "keep score" on my reading.
+1

Absolutely
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
If someone wants to create an app, feel free to do so. It doesn't interest me. I read at the speed that I read, I'm not interested in what speed others read.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I read a lot today. If things work out like I plan, I'll read a lot tomorrow. That's all the "reading data" I'm willing to provide anyone (including myself) with at this time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
What DD said.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I read a lot today. If things work out like I plan, I'll read a lot tomorrow. That's all the "reading data" I'm willing to provide anyone (including myself) with at this time.
Snap +1
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoner View Post
E-readers provide the opportunity to analyse reading in real time like never before by simply logging what we read and when. Wouldn't it be interesting to know:
  • How much longer will it take me to reach the end of the chapter/the end of the book?

...snip...
No... would take time away from reading and having a life...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
While it would be cool to see, I probably wouldn't look at it past a book or two just for the novelty of the data.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoner View Post

Readers, writers and publishers would all benefit from these insights so why are e-readers not recording the data? Or are they? Am I missing something? Is there any add-in software that does this?
In order to do this, you would need your reader to send stats to some central server in order to give you the data. I don't think a lot of people would actually like this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
PeculiarPooch
PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeculiarPooch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
The Kobo Touch records a lot of these stats with its Reading Life feature.
PeculiarPooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If I knew exactly how little time I spend daily reading, I'd be quite depressed.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
The reading stats screen in Duokan offers a few of the personal reading stats. Not all that exciting after you look at it a few times, you only confirm that some authors and styles take a whole lot longer to read
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote