Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
bash for kindle

i couldn't stand busybox; so i built bash.
in case you don't feel like building it yourself, here's the binary.
(source)

md5:
4b5000f232e96db8aba5722ee90aff7a bash.tar.bz2

sha512:
0d59e498dfd576a48f2294a81e61665ca5e402c254add6d24a 79aeb3379971bfcfc6db5aee2ec8a425dbdfb0ccdd0db425fb 786d0ad66599c9c0ac4a13deb9b2 bash.tar.bz2
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 bash.tar.bz2 (361.3 KB, 1061 views)
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
aquarat
aquarat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Intl
YAY

Thanks fbdev!

What toolchain did you use to compile it ?
aquarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
aquarat
aquarat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Intl
Talking Nano

I worked out how to cross compile for the Kindle... so here's the nano editor if anyone wants it.

There are two bz2 files, just merge their contents with the root filesystem (you'll need to type "mntroot rw" first).

b96a6ee4c5d0b624baaf03729e616857 ncurses.tar.bz2
6bdc743d751b0d779dc10546b88ead58 nano.tar.bz2
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 ncurses.tar.bz2 (3.37 MB, 635 views)
File Type: bz2 nano.tar.bz2 (245.4 KB, 600 views)

Last edited by aquarat; 08-09-2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added md5 sums
aquarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Do you know about ipkg?
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You sir, are a very good man indeed. The frustration of writing and debugging a script in bash, only to find that busybox's ash just doesn't know what to do with it is considerable. This is a much better alternative than learning the bourne shell. Thank you
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
fbdev
fbdev
fbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel isfbdev really knows where his or her towel is

Device: kindle
it was compiled with scratchbox.

it's only the executable, so if i'm going to use it i just drop it into /tmp and add it to /tmp/root/.profile like so:

if test $SHELL = "/bin/sh" && test -x /tmp/bash; then
export SHELL=/bin/bash
exec /tmp/bash
fi
fbdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
ryran
Connoisseur
ryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with othersryran plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3G
Oh this is so nice.
ryran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
I need more guide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarat View Post
I worked out how to cross compile for the Kindle... so here's the nano editor if anyone wants it.

There are two bz2 files, just merge their contents with the root filesystem (you'll need to type "mntroot rw" first).

b96a6ee4c5d0b624baaf03729e616857 ncurses.tar.bz2
6bdc743d751b0d779dc10546b88ead58 nano.tar.bz2
I am a freshman in linux.so can you tell me how to merge their contents with the root filesystem ?
And how to install it in kindle.I have a terminal in kindle 3.3 now.
Please just in detail.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Nice module linux.so
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
xueyou2: Do not touch the root filesystem if you don't know what you are doing.

Better stay in the document partition and install there. Just put the binaries somewhere and point the dynamic linker to where your libraries are (if the binary comes with any) via LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment setting.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
xueyou2: Do not touch the root filesystem if you don't know what you are doing.

Better stay in the document partition and install there. Just put the binaries somewhere and point the dynamic linker to where your libraries are (if the binary comes with any) via LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment setting.
Even IF you know what you are doing, there are still some rules you need to follow:

You can "temporarily merge" things into the root fs using a "bind mount", which temporarily "replaces" a file on root with a file on mmc. See how I do that to replace /usr/lib/libc.so in my "tccmake" script used in my "simple tcc guide" thread.

Also, adding additional symlinks to root that point to files on /mnt/us is generally safe, but DO NOT link files into /etc/upstart until they are fully tested. An upstart script that returns error status can prevent OTHER critical scripts from loading during startup. And beware that symlinks are permanent, unlike bind mounts.

The IMPORTANT thing is to not use significant space on the root fs, which may be needed for firmware updates.

Unsafe changes to the root fs can brick your kindle (but we know how to fix that -- just rewrite the root fs partition).

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Thanks for your help!I decide study linux first .

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Even IF you know what you are doing, there are still some rules you need to follow:

You can "temporarily merge" things into the root fs using a "bind mount", which temporarily "replaces" a file on root with a file on mmc. See how I do that to replace /usr/lib/libc.so in my "tccmake" script using in my "simple tcc guide" thread.

Also, adding additional symlinks to root that point to files on /mnt/us is generally safe, but DO NOT link files into /etc/upstart until they are fully tested. An upstart script that returns error status can prevent OTHER critical scripts from loading during startup. And beware that symlinks are permanent, unlike bind mounts.

The IMPORTANT thing is to not use significant space on the root fs, which may be needed for firmware updates.

Unsafe changes to the root fs can brick your kindle (but we know how to fix that -- just rewrite the root fs partition).

I feel powerful because of 'but we know how to fix that'.
But I find that I need to study linux first .Then ....
Thank you for help.

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
A quick question my friends: How can one replace busybox with bash? Is it safe?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat View Post
A quick question my friends: How can one replace busybox with bash? Is it safe?
You do not replace anything. Just run bash and it opens up a bash shell inside the busybox ash shell, in the same terminal window. If you type "exit" you leave bash and are back in busybox.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You do not replace anything. Just run bash and it opens up a bash shell inside the busybox ash shell, in the same terminal window. If you type "exit" you leave bash and are back in busybox.
What I want is to run my custom scripts with bash instead of busybox... What should I do for this? just make a symbolic link from this bash to /bin/bash (which already exists and is a symbolic link to busybox)?

Edit: I did the above thing and then ran this code just to check I'm actually using bash not busybox.

test.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
history
but no luck!
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bash