Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
MikeJS
MikeJS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Downloading calibre problems

Hi from the frozen North. I want to download calibre from the internet. Somehow during the download, and not at the start, a dialog box comes up asking if I'm sure I want to [run] or [save] the calibre file. I picked run and thought it would download overnight (I have dialup so it takes a long time). In the morning another notice something like "this installation package could not be opened contact the application vendor to verify this is a valid Windows package". I have gone through this process repeatedly without sucess. I go to the Calibre site for help and it appears that Moblileread forums is the only "technical" help available. Any suggestions?
MikeJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ...

Let's get this question popped over to the appropriate forum where the experts hang out ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR!

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Over the past month or so, I've found that the download link on the calibre site downloads very, very slowly (like 3KB/s on my 20Mbps line that can sustain 2.25MB/s or higher without breaking a sweat). What I do now is follow the sourceforge link and download from there instead.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
google code (that hosts the downloads) is having issues

See http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=4843

I'd encourage you to add your comments to that ticket, indicating the downloadsa re still slow for you.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Google server

This may be the problem (read the plaque in the picture)

Last edited by theducks; 08-16-2012 at 08:30 PM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
MR is about the best technical help you can get, seeing as the fellow who posted 2 posts up from me (Kovid) happens to be the guy who (primarily) wrote calibre. Try getting that kind of people to talk to you from BigHugeSoftwareCo.

As for your download problem, I'd advise downloading, then running -- there are fewer opportunities for Windows to throw fits that way. Also, the advice to download from Sourceforge is good. Like any program, calibre is at the mercy of its download sites, and it seems that the primary one has issues.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
It is true that the primary download site has been having problems. The last few times I've downloaded an update, I've had to restart the download multiple times because progress would keep stalling. I'll have to check out Sourceforge next time.

Worldwalker's advice is good. I always download installation files to my desktop, then run them when convenient. I also keep the installation files so if I have to rerun them later or need to revert to an earlier version, I will be able to without having to redownload the file (assuming it's still available; not all programs keep earlier versions available).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I actually have a directory called "Local Downloads" with suitably-named subdirectories that I stow mine in. I use it for everything from applications like calibre to drivers. It's amazing how handy it can be to have things like old drivers lying around for when some program decides to have a hissy fit about nVidia's latest and greatest.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I actually have a directory called "Local Downloads" with suitably-named subdirectories that I stow mine in. I use it for everything from applications like calibre to drivers. It's amazing how handy it can be to have things like old drivers lying around for when some program decides to have a hissy fit about nVidia's latest and greatest.
I do something similar. I have a folder named Installation files and I keep the files in individual subfolders, one subfolder for each program. Doing this has saved my ample asset more than once.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I would recommend downloading the file before running it. As pressing run puts into the temp folder you wont be able to install uninstall later if something goes wrong. And I am sure you would not like to download it all over again.
And use a download manager so that if the download is slow or stops for some reason you can resume it later from where it stopped rather than downloading the whole thing again. Plus most download manager try to make sure their is no file corruption and they are getting the actual file from the server not some something broken in the cache or temp folder.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
MikeJS
MikeJS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thanks from the frozen North to GeoffC, Sandra Edwards, toddos, kovidgoyal, theducks, worldwalker, Lady Fitzgerald and Dopedangel. I used Sourceforge and saved Calibre to a separate download file as was suggested.......and it worked just fine! Thanks again for your help.
MikeJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJS View Post
Thanks from the frozen North to GeoffC, Sandra Edwards, toddos, kovidgoyal, theducks, worldwalker, Lady Fitzgerald and Dopedangel. I used Sourceforge and saved Calibre to a separate download file as was suggested.......and it worked just fine! Thanks again for your help.

That's what we are here for .... every little helps and costs little .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote