Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Have the Audible Trial, first book suggestions?

My biggest fear is that I don't have the patience/attention span for audio books but I know Audible has won awards for their work and I want to give it a fair chance. I want to begin with a fantasy novel, what would you recommend?
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
My biggest fear is that I don't have the patience/attention span for audio books but I know Audible has won awards for their work and I want to give it a fair chance. I want to begin with a fantasy novel, what would you recommend?
I can't recommend a fantasy novel as that's way outside my area of expertise, but in terms of developing a knack for listening which was definitely a learned skill for me, I'd recommend starting with something light, something you've already read and liked, or both.

I'd also suggest that once you've identified a few candidates that you check and see what people have to say about the narrators. While ultimately reaction is personal, there are definitely stars and those who are, let me put it diplomatically, more controversial.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I agree. Think of some books you really like. Fantasy is kind of open ended and without knowing what sort of fantasy books you like, it might be hard to find one that captures your interest. The other part is getting a good reader. Your location says China, so I have no idea what audiobook store you have access to.

All my recommendations are from audible.com in the US.

Some of the top fantasies that I like are
- Lord of the Rings - narrated by Rob Inglis - a classic, and Inglis is good, though he's a bit old school in his narration style.

- Harry Potter - narrated by Jim Dale. A wide range of character voices. Very, very good.

- War God series by David Weber narrated by Nick Sullivan. Great story, very good narrator.

- The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, narrated by Tim Curry. Curry is a wonderful narrator

- Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss narrated by Nick Podehl. another great story with one of my favorite narrators.

I suspect that this group of fantasy series shows my basic tastes in both books and narrators. If you could list some of the fantasy books that you like as regular books, perhaps you would get some better recommendations.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Thank your for the advice issybird, and thank you as well pwalker8. All of your suggested books seem like they would be up my alley. I am taking a flight today so maybe I will give it a try!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote