Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jho View Post
my concerned about formats is the more formats the reader can support, the more it can read,right?

but I still find it questionable because I still want to know which reader can still access the largest possible amount of books
Most ereaders can read most formats. Most books are in both epub and mobi.
You can read nearly all the books on an ereader.

What is your native language please?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
Jho
Jho began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know I'm asking questions and not answering them

but for now I just have one more question and I need everyone to be brutally sincere

Which is the best reader for you?

for now I'm considering onyx
Jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

but for now I just have one more question and I need everyone to be brutally sincere

Why are you not answering questions?
I can not give you an answer without knowing the answers to the questions asked.

It doesn't matter what is best for me if we read 2 entirely different things.

We can only help those who help us help yourself.

The only solution is buy ALL the ereaders.

As for me, depends on what I am doing.
Sometimes an ereader is best, sometimes a tablet is best and sometimes paper is best.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Jho

because honestly, I do not like to give any information about myself, it's very personal
Old 11-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #20
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Which Onyx? There is a world of difference between an Onyx Max with 13" screen and any smaller Onyx.

A best e-reader is best for a certain purpose or in a certain way. I have two Pocketbooks, one with 8" screen and another with 6" screen. The bigger one is good for reading at a desk (and at times I think an even bigger one would be nice to have, a Remarkable perhaps), while the smaller one is more portable on the move. Feature-wise they are equivalent with small differences. Ultimately, it's very difficult to pick one over the other.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Why do we need to be “brutally sincere?” What is brutal about telling you what reader I think is best for me?

I have the new Kindle Oasis for 2 weeks. I love almost everything about it.

How does that help you decide what will work best for you? You won’t even answer simple questions...how is anyone supposed to make recommendations for you with no knowledge of your particular needs?

You won’t even say what your native language is?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
because honestly, I do not like to give any information about myself, it's very personal
I have not seen any personal questions.
So now do you read fiction or non fiction?
Manga or something else?
Illustrated or non-illustrated
We need those answers to help guide you.

We didn't even ask how you plan to get the books.
Here are personal questions: your age, sex, race, location. We didn't ask any of those.
We didn't ask for a specific genre.

Now depending on your location, Onyx will probably be best for you.
Main reason: kobo and kindle require an email address.

Now one other little detail. Do know that not all books are available in all locations.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
my concerned about formats is the more formats the reader can support, the more it can read,right?
Not quite right. Using programs such as calibre you can change formats so that should be low on your list of concerns. Many ebooks are available in multiple formats though currently, most ebooks are published in epub and Amazon formats. I would suggest that any ereader and calibre would allow you to access "the most books".

When was the last time you saw a Rocket format ebook? A BBeB/LRF format ebook? A commercial FB2 ebook? A DjVu ebook? A pdb format ebook? If you are not Chinese, an Apabi format ebook? A Microsoft Reader ebook?

In the last decade, I've seldom used any format other than epub, mobi, AZW3 and pdf. Of these, pdf is the biggest pain since it is page oriented and is a pain to convert to other formats.

Quote:
but I still find it questionable because I still want to know which reader can still access the largest possible amount of books
Pretty much any ereader is going to be able to access more books than you can read in your lifetime.

Simply re-iterating your demand for the most formats is not helpful. Unless you can be more specific as to your location, what type of device you are looking for (eInk, tablet, laptop, etc.), what price are you willing to pay, what types of material you are looking to read (fiction, non-fiction, tech manual, poorly OCRed crud you've downloaded from pirate sites over the years, etc.), you are not going to be able to get much useful information.

If you really feel that sharing your country or the types of books you are wanting to read is getting too personal, quit wasting our time and yours. Break out your best anonymous browser and do your own research.

To misquote, there ain't no such thing as "one true ereader" (with apologies to RAH and ML).

Last edited by DNSB; 11-15-2017 at 03:53 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The best reader for me is the one that I am reading on now. Availability trumps features.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The best reader for me is the one that I am reading on now. Availability trumps features.
Exactly.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Pocketbook readers read a lot of formats: EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF DRM, PDF, FB2, FB2.ZIP, TXT, DJVU, HTML, DOC, DOCX, RTF, CHM, TCR, PRC (MOBI)

Or an Android based reader on which you could install your desired apps for reading.
Problem is that most reading apps require Android 4.4 or later and most Android Readers come with Android 4.0.x or earlier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #27
sj.foxglove
sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.sj.foxglove knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kobo aura one
Hi Jho,

Are you still looking for an e-reader?

I agree that it is very difficult to choose.

And I also feel a bit resentful toward the industry because there are many e-readers, but none with all of the features that I would like. Instead-- like most things in life-- we must weigh the pros and cons and make a decision knowing that there is no perfect option.

However, I would recommend against making your decision based on accessibility to book formats.

As Meera and Barry said above, there is a free software called Calibre that you can use to convert book formats.

So book format is not something that you need to worry about.

Unless you are planning on reading a lot of technical or academic PDFs. Then you would want to choose an e-reader not by whether it reads PDFs, but how well it handles them. Same for if you were reading comics or manga.

For regular books, any e-reader should be fine.

Instead of format, I would focus on the following:

First, how will you get the majority of your books?

If you are buying books,

would you prefer to buy from the same store regularly and have books immediately available on your device?

or would you prefer to buy books from various stores and upload them to your device yourself?

Second, how will you use your e-reader?

What hardware features will matter most to you?

6" display, smaller display, or larger display?

front light, colour front light, or no light?

waterproof?

high-resolution display?

audio capability?

expandable memory?

cellular connectivity?

What software features will matter most to you?

text adjustability-- font, size, weight, paragraph style, spacing, margins?

page numbers?

additional dictionaries?

annotation?

web browser?

apps?

These are just a few features that may differentiate one e-reader from the next.

Consider how you will acquire your reading content, then consider how you will use your e-reader and which features will be most important to you for your personal use, and then choose the e-reader that best fits those needs.

In addition to the mobileread community, I find that watching e-reader review and comparison videos is an excellent way to learn about different devices. Just be aware that everyone has their own biases based on their personal preferences (which may not be the same as yours) and their past experiences (which can be very useful to learn from).

Good luck!

-sj
sj.foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #28
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The most flexible would be either an Android device or an iPad; either case you can take advantage of their stores to install readers for whatever formats you want.
Agreed. Also, a tablet will do best with fixed format documents such as PDF.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
Jho

can someone delete this thread,i'm already done looking
Old 12-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
can someone delete this thread,i'm already done looking
Threads do not get deleted here in general. The information stays availlable for the benefit of others with same question at a later time.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote