Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
How much is the Kobo Mini in the US?
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
Wow, actually I've never seen a PaperWhite before. So it does not show our fingerprints like those on the iPad when someone plays Candy Crush too often?
Don't believe everything you read. There is no magic involved here. Fingerprints do stick and they do show in some lights. They might not be as apparent as with the glass displays, but at least I'm more afraid to wipe them off because it is not glass. Fingerprints are small problem compared to the sneeze droplets.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Don't believe everything you read. There is no magic involved here. Fingerprints do stick and they do show in some lights. They might not be as apparent as with the glass displays, but at least I'm more afraid to wipe them off because it is not glass. Fingerprints are small problem compared to the sneeze droplets.
Thank you Stringer! You're using PW1, aren't you? Do you share the same thought? I mean the Basic business.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Currently $80, but it's been on sale for quite a bit less a few times.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
$80 I think, but there was a sale for $39 a little while ago. On the Kobo website, it tells you what retailers carry them (I know family Christian Stores generally do).

LOL Booklover, you're making me re-think it!

It does fit in my pocket perfectly hidden at work....

,,,and it is adorable.....
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Lovely, isn't it? Gosh, I think ebook readers are all greedy. LOL!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you Stringer! You're using PW1, aren't you? Do you share the same thought? I mean the Basic business.
Yes, but of course I had to order the PW2 as soon as I heard of it. Just waiting for it to arrive. I wouldn't buy any lesser Kindles just because my hands could be dirty, but if it's a issue for you, then I would suggest buying one of those screen protectors. I haven't looked, but I'm pretty sure they exist just like they do for phones.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #23
Dee Q
Born Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Yes, but of course I had to order the PW2 as soon as I heard of it. Just waiting for it to arrive. I wouldn't buy any lesser Kindles just because my hands could be dirty, but if it's a issue for you, then I would suggest buying one of those screen protectors. I haven't looked, but I'm pretty sure they exist just like they do for phones.
Haha, I love my e-reader so much. I just want to keep her intact. A bit sentimental, you know...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Haha, I love my e-reader so much. I just want to keep her intact. A bit sentimental, you know...
Yes, I think mine has even some hairs stuck around the inner frame edges.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:
Wow, actually I've never seen a PaperWhite before. So it does not show our fingerprints like those on the iPad when someone plays Candy Crush too often?
I agree with others, fingerprints are not an issue on the PW screen. I'm yet to see the PW2 (starts shipping to my market on the 15th), but I was worried about this and the touch on the PW1, but really it wasn't an issue at all.

The PW1 and black baby Kindle do attract fingerprints on the bezel though, I have successfully used a DecalGirl film to remove that problem (not that its a real problem): http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,164514.0.html
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
$80 I think, but there was a sale for $39 a little while ago. On the Kobo website, it tells you what retailers carry them (I know family Christian Stores generally do).

LOL Booklover, you're making me re-think it!

It does fit in my pocket perfectly hidden at work....

Powell's books (they are on line) has the Mini for $59.99 now.

Don't underestimate the power of adorableness! Seriously, I sold mine, and then had to buy another. It is too cute.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon can only use the screens that exist. There is no 5" frontlit screen.
I thought that e-ink/vizplex supplies the screens to each manufacturer (Amazon, Kobo, etc) and then the manufacturer adds the lights and the light-guiding layer? So that Amazon and Kobo don't share the exact same lighting system?

If that is the case, then any manufacturer COULD make a front-light for the 5" screen. They would just have to think that there would be enough of a market for it.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
I agree with others, fingerprints are not an issue on the PW screen. I'm yet to see the PW2 (starts shipping to my market on the 15th), but I was worried about this and the touch on the PW1, but really it wasn't an issue at all.

The PW1 and black baby Kindle do attract fingerprints on the bezel though, I have successfully used a DecalGirl film to remove that problem (not that its a real problem): http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,164514.0.html
Does it stop the glare? (DecalGirl film) I could care less about fingerprints. I clean the screen every so often.

Regarding how many Kindles does one need? I have 5. Actually 4, hubby got my KK3 and he actually uses it.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #29
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Powell's books (they are on line) has the Mini for $59.99 now.

Don't underestimate the power of adorableness! Seriously, I sold mine, and then had to buy another. It is too cute.
That's the same way I feel about my Sony 350. I love the size--and even though I'm enjoying reading on the KPW2 right now, I'm pretty sure my 350 will continue to be my travel e-reader when I know I won't need a light. The smaller size makes it perfect for an "on-the-go" reader.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Fire HDX best for low light

Quote:
Thanks sirmaru! However, Kindle Fire to me is a tablet after all and I've never considered a tablet to be an e-reader. :-) Or maybe I'm just wrong. Never owned a tablet before. :P
I like to read at dusk by my bay window in a rocking chair with my Kindle Fire HD 2012 and play my music from it as I read. It beats the Paperwhites in low ambient light situations and allows one to listen to music.

I'm looking forward to my new Kindle Fire HDX 2013 on Oct 18.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote