Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
Savory - Kindle 3?

Hey there,

Anyone have any idea if Savory will be updated to the Kindle 3?

Seems like it was a pretty useful program! :/
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I wish that too.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
I'd love to know the answer as well!
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe if enough people contact Jesse Vincent, he'll upgrade it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I fail to see the interest in Savory when there's now a native PDF reader, and/or Duokan.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I fail to see the interest in Savory when there's now a native PDF reader, and/or Duokan.

Anyone care to enlighten me?
It had lots options for viewing a PDF within the Kindle 2 original firmware (no dual booting). You can see some screenshots here. For film people, it was the only way to view a pdf script and still look readable on a 6 inch screen (IMO).

It could covert non-DRMed ePub on the fly on the Kindle itself.

I really liked it and would love to see it re-developed.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
he also hacked up the browser so you could download epubs and pdfs
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, after taking a look at this, there's a whole bunch of interesting stuff . That was pretty crazy . Kudos to jesse!

For example, that's probably where the dbus-watcher on usbPlugOut idea originally came from, and also the powerd.resuming dbus call to refresh the Home screen.

That said, I have zero need for the thing, given that I can do the exact same thing manually on my Linux box, and that'll probably end up being way faster than on the ~500MHz ARM CPU of the Kindle, and that we can neatly wirelessly side-load stuff with the K3.

But, I'm willing to throw out an updated update file (without the browser hack, given that it won't work on FW 3.x, and is AFAICT impossible to replicate there [all signs point to the download restrictions being built into the browser binary itself]) with jesse's latest savory image. (ie. I won't update the savory image [python, poppler, calibre, ...] for the simple reason that I'm lazy, and there's way too much stuff to build for something I won't ever use).

I won't test it, and I have no idea if it'll work, but if people are still interested, I'm willing to give it a try...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I won't test it, and I have no idea if it'll work, but if people are still interested, I'm willing to give it a try...
/puts hands up/ willing to test!
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
How hard is it to add other Kindle plugins to this. PDFs and epubs might be handled natively these days, but lit files aren't. Any possibility of adding a lit > mobi converter?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote