Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #1
jidiot008
jidiot008 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Each sentence treated as a paragraph in new versions of calibre

This is I'm sure a super simple question for this forum. I have a Mac and had previously liked using the print as pdf function to save articles and then converting them into mobi format for my kindle. When Calibre was in the 6.0 versions of the software it worked great. Now each sentence is treated as a paragraph and has an black space between each. It is unappealing to read articles like this. Any ideas what has gone wrong?
jidiot008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
SavalBork
SavalBork began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
No one can field this one? It's quite frustrating to read.
SavalBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Why print to PDF? PDF is a terrible format to convert from. If you're starting from HTML, why not keep it in HTML and convert from that?

If you must stick with PDF as your input, right now your only option is to play around with the line unwrapping factor. I find 0.50 works as a decent starting point for me, but each PDF input is different and you may have to convert multiple times with different settings until you find the value that works for your PDFs.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidiot008 View Post
This is I'm sure a super simple question for this forum. I have a Mac and had previously liked using the print as pdf function to save articles and then converting them into mobi format for my kindle. When Calibre was in the 6.0 versions of the software it worked great. Now each sentence is treated as a paragraph and has an black space between each. It is unappealing to read articles like this. Any ideas what has gone wrong?
I know this is a stale thread, but in case someone stumbles on it...
(Non-kindle users - you can do some of this, too. Look for the three *** below)

I, too, have a mac (although I'm stuck in this hotel using a windows machine.) You need Instapaper. Go to Instapaper.com to sign up.

Instapaper gives you a couple of ways to save articles and get them on your kindle. The easiest is a button you can add to your browser. Click on the button, and the web page you are looking at gets sent to the Instapaper server, where it is saved for you to read later. If you don't want to mess with getting the button on your browser, you can send the website contents to your email account, then forward the resulting message to Instapaper, where it will turn into an article. (I use this technique when I'm using some other computer, like this hotel computer which - obviously - doesn't have the button. Or if you use Firefox, there's an Add-It extension that will give you an Instapaper option. Plus tons of apps have a "send to Instapaper" option.

*** Once you get an article to the Instapaper site, you can use an app to read what you've saved on your iPad or iPhone, or you can access the articles on any web browser. Including the kindle browser.

But here's what you really want to know:

Kindle specific option: you can direct Instapaper to periodically send the articles to your kindle account to load to your kindle whenever you access the Amazon site,

*** or you can download a mobi file to move to your kindle using calibre.

Or, best of all, you can click on the little kindle icon in your kindle web browser and download the articles directly to your kindle.

Those options give you an Instapaper file containing several articles.

*** Alternatively, you can use a program called Ephemera to grab all the articles off the Instapaper site, en mass or individually, and send them directly to your attached kindle. (non-k EBR: gives you a single file containing all articles.)

*** In the further alternative, as we legal types say when we want to cover all the bases without actually having to commit to one, you can download Instapaper articles directly into calibre using the news function. Look under "unidentified" or "unknown" (I forget which) in the list.

And, of course, there's a way to use calibre to email the Instapaper file to your kindle. (But I don't do that, so I can't give you any pointers.)

But what you really really want to do is access Instapaper directly from your kindle & use the kindle icon to download. One reason for this is that you can sort articles into folders on Instapaper, and then download them to your kindle directly from each folder. This gives you a way to sort them for reading on the kindle. Unfortunately, you can't name the kindle Instapaper files, so you have to inspect a file to figure out what's in it.

Since there's a max of 20 articles which can be downloaded at a time, you have to figure out a management scheme. My son's approach to this is to establish a kindle file in Instapaper, and selectively move articles to the file to download to his kindle. He does this because if you download articles from the any folder and leave them there, they will be redownloaded next time. So he deletes them after they've been downloaded. I prefer to just hop on Safari after I've done a kindle download, and move or delete the first 20 articles in my Unread file list.

Any one of these options is better than the pdf route, in my view.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote