Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #46
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
We can't say whacko now?
So let me get this straight.

Since this forum does not believe in censorship I can use like 30 words in a sentence that explains how someone is nuts or whacky, but I cannot save myself the time and effort by simply summing it all up into a single word that means the exact same thing, "whacko?"
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
We can't say whacko now?
With THOSE lips?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I acknowledge your apology but isn't it better that we all know where the lines that shouldn't be crossed are so that we don't cross them, rather than apologizing when we have?

so you want a pre-definition of all slang that may possibly be used?

that's pretty out there
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #49
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
***sigh*** Just be aware of contextuality, please.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #50
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
so you want a pre-definition of all slang that may possibly be used?

that's pretty out there
Well no, I don't think I suggested that - but referring to people as "twats", which in the sense that I used the term is roughly equivalent to referring to people as whacko, wacko or some other similar term, (to the extent that I know what that term means). Both seem to mean something like the target is stupid or an idiot. So I was asking whether, given their equivalence, they are to be seen as equivalently unacceptable.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #51
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I wish I hadn't bothered ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #52
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
***sigh*** Just be aware of contextuality, please.
I don't understand why you bring "contextuality" into the discussion. What one consenting adult does with another consenting adult, and a circus clown, has nothing to do with the issue at hand!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Well no, I don't think I suggested that - but referring to people as "twats", which in the sense that I used the term is roughly equivalent to referring to people as whacko, wacko or some other similar term, (to the extent that I know what that term means). Both seem to mean something like the target is stupid or an idiot. So I was asking whether, given their equivalence, they are to be seen as equivalently unacceptable.
ONCE AGAIN!!! I'll type slowly this time. maybe it will be understood. as I recall my words were essentially; "us whackos here in the Llounge". and NOTE!!! once again!!! (typing even slower) when the Llounge (as opposed to the Lounge, or lounge) is used, chances ARE!!!! that the person is being tongue in cheek. or just completely DFNU (which would be dead from the neck up). no twats entered the conversation other than possibly my own.

get it got it good

.EDIT: also note that I used "us" not "you". I included myself in all whackdom
Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #54
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ONCE AGAIN!!! I'll type slowly this time. maybe it will be understood. as I recall my words were essentially; "us whackos here in the Llounge". and NOTE!!! once again!!! (typing even slower) when the Llounge (as opposed to the Lounge, or lounge) is used, chances ARE!!!! that the person is being tongue in cheek. or just completely DFNU (which would be dead from the neck up). no twats entered the conversation other than possibly my own.

get it got it good

.EDIT: also note that I used "us" not "you". I included myself in all whackdom
This then may be where our different understandings of your perceived insult arise. Despite what you now claim what you actually wrote was:

Quote:
just drop it. leave it as something the whackos in the Lounge pLlay around with
This does not sound as though you are including yourself - the most straightforward interpretation is that the whackos are some group to whom you are proposing leaving (thereby excluding yourself from), something, (the discussion of the word liseuse) for them, (the whackos) to pLlay around with. Your claim that this cannot be construed as an insult because you were including yourself in "the whackos in the lounge" simply does not stand up.

There may be some significance to your spelling of pLlay that I don't understand and obviously I don't know whether you simply misremembered what you wrote or have misrepresented it. But the grounds of my "complaint" is that the simplest interpretation of what you wrote is that you were characterizing those who were putting the point in favour of the word liseuse as whackos - and I still cannot see any other interpretation - no matter how slowly you type or how sarcastic you are.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
This then may be where our different understandings of your perceived insult arise. Despite what you now claim what you actually wrote was:

This does not sound as though you are including yourself - the most straightforward interpretation is that the whackos are some group to whom you are proposing leaving (thereby excluding yourself from), something, (the discussion of the word liseuse) for them, (the whackos) to pLlay around with. Your claim that this cannot be construed as an insult because you were including yourself in "the whackos in the lounge" simply does not stand up.

There may be some significance to your spelling of pLlay that I don't understand and obviously I don't know whether you simply misremembered what you wrote or have misrepresented it. But the grounds of my "complaint" is that the simplest interpretation of what you wrote is that you were characterizing those who were putting the point in favour of the word liseuse as whackos - and I still cannot see any other interpretation - no matter how slowly you type or how sarcastic you are.
the spelling of pLlay was intentional and Llounge should have been the same way. I think it was in the first few days of having a new kitten home. most posts haven't come out as intended
Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #56
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I think it was in the first few days of having a new kitten home. most posts haven't come out as intended
Do not allow a Savannah kitten to post for you. Take it from someone whose Bengal almost wiped a raid in WoW*: they don't think their cunning plans all the way through. Despite what some people I've talked to online over the years seem to believe, random pounding on the keys is unlikely to produce valid results.

*Caesar has no understanding of how to play a mage, though I'd settle for an understanding of "the keyboard is not a kitty toy". Admittedly, I've played with some humans who also have neither.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #57
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Do not allow a Savannah kitten to post for you. Take it from someone whose Bengal almost wiped a raid in WoW*: they don't think their cunning plans all the way through. Despite what some people I've talked to online over the years seem to believe, random pounding on the keys is unlikely to produce valid results.

*Caesar has no understanding of how to play a mage, though I'd settle for an understanding of "the keyboard is not a kitty toy". Admittedly, I've played with some humans who also have neither.
rumour has it htat hhtere are some nose touch typists out there
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #58
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

out of the llounge and into feedback .....
Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #59
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
the spelling of pLlay was intentional and Llounge should have been the same way. I think it was in the first few days of having a new kitten home. most posts haven't come out as intended
The sad thing is that, whilst I might object to your means of expressing it, it was actually sound advice, and had it been followed by those who did not want there to be a discussion about the word "liseuse" on MR, the ensuing rancour and vitriol that followed would have been avoided, us whackos who do like the word would have talked it to death, the thread would have become inactive and I wouldn't be walking around with this animosity towards you (to the extent that is possible to feel animosity to someone who one knows nothing about other than that they are American, female, keeps cats and has a bad knee).

And I still don't know what pLlay and Llounge mean.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #60
GeoffC

* * * * s i g h * * * *