Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
joeanne12
joeanne12 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Red face need to format smart card?

Hi people. Hi I have a GEB 1150 and have bought a 64mb smartcard and reader. My son formated the card in windows vista anad then put some IMP books on it. The ebook reader does not seem to see the card at all. The only books I can see are the ones on the readers hard drive. Could it be that the card needs to be reformatted and if so what would I use to format the smart card? Thanks
joeanne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeanne12 View Post
Hi people. Hi I have a GEB 1150 and have bought a 64mb smartcard and reader. My son formated the card in windows vista anad then put some IMP books on it. The ebook reader does not seem to see the card at all. The only books I can see are the ones on the readers hard drive. Could it be that the card needs to be reformatted and if so what would I use to format the smart card? Thanks
Check EBookwise-1150. This wiki entry shows how to reformat a card using the device itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If I remember correctly, the card has to be formatted in the FAT format, not FAT32 or NTSF. Using the instructions from the Wiki are probably as easy as doing it in Windows.

The other thing to keep in mind, unlike some of the other readers, the GEB and eBookwise readers will reader either the main memory (if no card is inserted) or from the SmartCard. It will not integrate the results. So if you have books in the GEB's internal memory that you wish to read, you should also copy them to the SmartCard, or just take the SmartCard out to read them.

And - at the risk of sounding preachy - make sure you turn off the reader completely before adding or removing the SmartCard! The least you can do is kill the SmartCard. The worst you could do is kill the reader! (I had a friend kill a card - I was so happy her reader still worked!)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
joeanne12

Thanks very much but when I try to format using the reader it fails do you think it is a probem with the card? It comes up fine on the pc using the card reader!! Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks very much but when I try to format using the reader it fails do you think it is a probem with the card? It comes up fine on the pc using the card reader!! Thanks
there is some low level formatting that is not done properly by windows.

Dale
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
joeanne12

Thanks, is there another way for me to do this low level formatting as the reader fails to do it. As I go throught the process these are the messages I get. Some of your ebooks memory needs to be reformatted, It will take up to fifteen minutes to complete, then the message PHYS_FORMAT failed. Then Flash disk init failed. So I gather the reader won't do it. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Thanks, is there another way for me to do this low level formatting as the reader fails to do it. As I go throught the process these are the messages I get. Some of your ebooks memory needs to be reformatted, It will take up to fifteen minutes to complete, then the message PHYS_FORMAT failed. Then Flash disk init failed. So I gather the reader won't do it. Thanks for any ideas.
The Smartmedia card really should be formatted using the FAT filesystem.

I think some newer Operating Systems (like Vista) don't allow you to format FAT, so try doing it through disk management, that is:

Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

Then right-click the Smartmedia drive (make sure by looking at the drive size - about 64 MB) and then 'Format...' and answer 'Yes' to any 'Are you sure?' question. For File system, select 'FAT' and then the 'OK' button.

Now when the SM card is formatted FAT, retry formatting the Smartmedia card in the EBW1150 reader by accessing the hidden menu and tapping the 'Erase External' button.

If you still can't get it to work, try using the dos command prompt format command, the appropriate drive and switch i.e. /FS:FAT. This takes a bit more computer knowledge because if you don't know what you're doing here, it can render your computer useless! Be very careful using the command prompt format!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did it recognize that you had a smart media card plugged in? Or did you try and format the RAM area? Try again, be sure the SM card is plugged in before starting. If it won't format then I suggest you try another card. The reader knows best.

Dale
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
I don't think you can format a smart media card into any other format than what it was intended to be, otherwise you'll destroy it in the process. I made that error once with an mp3 player.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote