Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that the switch from Netronix to Jinkie is a disappointment for those of us who were looking for something new (either technically or in terms of price). However, what remains is a solid US presence for an established E-Ink device. This will be only the 3rd EInk vendor with US-based service and support. Part of the success of the Kindle is down to Amazon's well deserved reputation for support. Astak will have to prove itself in this area, but if they can do so I can easily see them selling plenty of readers and expanding into retail stores.

Jinkie seems to be executing Bookeen's original strategy of providing wide support for ebook formats better than Bookeen, and their rebranding of the same device (and software) under multiple names from multiple sellers is also working surprisingly well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #47
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
However, what remains is a solid US presence for an established E-Ink device.
Well, that isn't even a certainty at this point. We shall see...
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #48
borax99
borax99 began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC - P1610
No ereader support, no sale. Not from Sony, not from Astak, not from anyone. Waste of time.
borax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by borax99 View Post
No ereader support, no sale. Not from Sony, not from Astak, not from anyone. Waste of time.
I disagree. Having eReader would be the reason to not purchase such a device. The conversion tools to eReader are not all that wonderful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #50
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think it ultimately depends on the reader Jon. Of someone has spent most of their time up to now reading on their PDAs using ereader as opposed to mobipocket, I can see why such a person would want ereader in a dedicated reading device.

Personally, I would prefer ereader over Mobi if for no other reason than Apple support (not talking about third party here, I mean by the actual owners of the format) is better with ereader than it is with mobi.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #51
Rosethorn1403
Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rosethorn1403 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
sigh, I still like the idea of the Astak, as nothing except the Iliad is available here in Australia (if you buy sony or cybook on ebay or the like, you void the warranty) but it's looking more and more like just another hype, and at the same price as the sony etc
Rosethorn1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

Just out of curiosity, what is this about?
Have you not seen the TV ads? The first few started with Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld. Now, they are moving onto the "I'm a PC" ads. The slogan is "Windows @ Software without walls."

BOb

EDIT: Sorry you're in the UK... I assume they don't run there. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SiBBi35zKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWPf1BWtkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fuphN0yFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mbTUQFVUI

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-28-2008 at 09:19 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think it ultimately depends on the reader Jon. Of someone has spent most of their time up to now reading on their PDAs using ereader as opposed to mobipocket, I can see why such a person would want ereader in a dedicated reading device.

Personally, I would prefer ereader over Mobi if for no other reason than Apple support (not talking about third party here, I mean by the actual owners of the format) is better with ereader than it is with mobi.

--
Bill
The eReader format was designed for smallish type screens such as a PDA. That is the reason for no paragraph indents and the lin spaces between paragraphs. But, on a larger screen such as a 6" eink screen, this will not look good. It's formatting is not meant for such screens. And the larger you go, the worse it will look.

Now you do not have to have eReader format eBooks in that format. But most commercial eReader eBooks are formatted that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #54
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The eReader format was designed for smallish type screens such as a PDA. That is the reason for no paragraph indents and the lin spaces between paragraphs. But, on a larger screen such as a 6" eink screen, this will not look good. It's formatting is not meant for such screens. And the larger you go, the worse it will look.
...to you.

When I create RTFs for my Sony, I prefer no paragraph indents, a little space between the paragraphs, and left-justification. Those are my preferences. And I think they look absolutely fine and good that way.

Not everyone wants it your way.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 09-29-2008 at 01:16 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 AM   #55
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Jon,

Maybe fictionwise is changing that... or maybe they are having different readers handle paragraphs differently, but the several ebooks I have gotten from them use normal indentation.

In addition, I think the alternate formating is just fine. I am quite use to reading that way, so lack of paragraph indents doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as there is a blank line there.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #56
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
...to you.

When I create RTFs for my Sony, I prefer no paragraph indents, a little space between the paragraphs, and left-justification. Those are my preferences. And I think they look absolutely fine and good that way.

Not everyone wants it your way.
Do you mean someone would create books with spaces between paragraphs??? Atrocity!

Just checked out Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Look inside and there are no spaces between paragraphs. It is a crime to have spaces between paragraphs on 6" screen, because it is even smaller than a standard hard back edition (it would be a crime on 9" as well )

Last edited by astra; 09-29-2008 at 05:18 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #57
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Do you mean someone would create books with spaces between paragraphs??? Atrocity!
I wish this would be left out to the reader (both the device and the person). I create my mobipocket books using <P></P> for the paragraphs. The default mobipocket reader renders these with some indent and just a bit of vertical space (less than half a line). I hope some future version (especially in the Cybook) will allow to modify this (I would set it to some indent and no vertical space).

Of course, if I want to override the default settings for some specific paragraph, I use the WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes, and never add "&nbsp;" or blank lines.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #58
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Well, We are not talking about entire empty line between two paragraphs, just a space that is a few pixels (less than 1mm) wider than "normal" space between two lines inside paragraph. Also the first line intendation for the paragraph is only about 4mm wide in books that I format for my reader. And margins are almost non-existent. This, together with sans-serif font and left justification enables me to squeeze quite a lot of *very readable* text on the screen.

I really do not understand why there are 15 mm (and sometimes more!) wide margins on commercially available (Sony and also Kindle) books. THAT is atrocity if you ask me!
This trying to recreate printed page at any cost remainds me of the very first cars that were built exactly like horse carriages without a horse ;-)
See
http://voteview.com/images/daimler1.jpg
http://www.ausbcomp.com/~bbott/cars/carhist.htm
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Fo...dsFirstCar.jpg
http://voteview.com/images/duryea1.jpg
for pictures.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #59
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This trying to recreate printed page at any cost remainds me of the very first cars that were built exactly like horse carriages without a horse ;-)
See
http://voteview.com/images/daimler1.jpg
http://www.ausbcomp.com/~bbott/cars/carhist.htm
http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Fo...dsFirstCar.jpg
http://voteview.com/images/duryea1.jpg
for pictures.
Funny

But that's me. I never read ebooks before Sony Reader because I like the way printed book - hard back edition - is made. Sony Reader was the first gadget that resembled a paper book for me and still is as a matter of fact.
I wish Sony made 8 or 9" reader, that would be a perfect reader at home for me. Very much like hard back edition format

I didn't realise that spacing between paragraphs does not mean a whole empty line. It is a very different matter then.
I leave the default 10 margins left/right/top and zero bottom. But it is not mm, I think it is pixels, 2-3 mm? And ident 6, to make it a bit more prominent.
All my books are done in BD. Does it insert spacing between paragraphs?

I agree that margins I have seen in commercially available sony books is atrocity.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #60
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You always say this...but I have read several eReader books on laptop and desktop screens and the formatting was not a problem in the least. So opinions can differ.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote