Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Ellecram
Ellecram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Calibre Not Detecting Kindle Fire HD

I recently purchased a Kindle Fire HD to take with me to Europe. I have been trying to get it loaded with a few essentials from one of my other devices which is a Kindle Touch.

I have not yet figured out how to sync these two kindles so I thought I would simply go to my Calibre set up and download a few separately that way.

Despite multiple attempts at sending books I was not able to do so. Calibre will not recognize/detect (whatever the correct techno-lingo is for this action) my Kindle Fire HD. I looked online and did all the reboots and upgrades, etc. and still no resolution.

I have Calibre 0.9.44 on my desktop which is a Windows XP.

Mozilla and IE cannot be upgraded beyond a certain version so I am wondering if the outdated browsers are part of the problem.

I am doing this at work and the desktop is a Dell 2007 model/Windows XP which cannot support a lot of the upgrades for software, etc.

I have had experience with my Kindle Touch and Calibre for close to two years with no problems and absolutely love it. I also have another android tablet that I use but it is larger and too big to lug around Europe.

Just mentioning this so that I don't come across as a neophyte with this stuff. I do have some experience.

Any further input on what might be the solution?

Thanks!

Elle

Last edited by Ellecram; 08-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Ellecram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Fire HD is an MTP device and IIRC XP doesn't support MTP out of the box. Not sure if there's a way to get that working or not (I'm sure one of the experts here will know).

You could always use Calibre Companion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Since MTP is so sketchy on XP, Kovid decided not to support it in Calibre....So for a Fire HD, you will need to email your books or as AnemicOak said try Calibre Companion. (first Gen Fires work fine as they are not MTP devices) Good luck.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Ellecram
Ellecram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Just seems disappointing to buy a device I really can't use the way I want too.

I will probably just load a couple books on the Fire for this trip and just continue to use the Kindle Touch or my Lenovo tablet as my basic e readers when I return. It seems more limiting than I had originally thought.
Ellecram is offline   Reply With Quote