Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
China Diapers
China Diapers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Font size when viewing PDF files

Hi

I just bought a kindle 4 and loaded a bunch of PDF files. The text font size on all of them is very small and the 'font size' menu item is not present for these files.

The alternative is to use the zoom function, which is hardly a substitute. My Sony eReader could adjust the text size on PDF files just fine.

What do you think?
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
floz
floz began at the beginning.

Device: K5
I would also like to know about this, i've got a kindle touch 5.1.1 and just jailbroke it using the jailbreak-kt.tk method.
floz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I think all 6" ereaders are horrible for PDFs.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
floz
floz began at the beginning.

Device: K5
gotta be a way around it? to get it to auto resize like the books surely?
floz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Convert the document to .mobi format. Emailing to your Kindle email address, with "convert" in the subject line mostly works, for simply formatted pdf files.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
PDF files are very problematic. I agree with the earlier folks. Use .mobi or .epub. There's a program--Calibre--that's pretty good for conversion.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #7
China Diapers
China Diapers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychensmith View Post
PDF files are very problematic. I agree with the earlier folks. Use .mobi or .epub. There's a program--Calibre--that's pretty good for conversion.
Worked like a charm! Thanks
China Diapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raychensmith View Post
There is also PDF to Epub which converts Pdf to Html, Epub and Mobi format. http://www.pdftoepub.com/
I don't know if their free offer is still in effect or not though it was extended to July 2012 so it may still be good til the end of the month. Normally it costs $39.95 to purchase a copy so even if the free offer is done with it's still not a bad deal. It's a bit more automatic than Calibre (IMO) in that you don't have to make a lot of decisions past the output format itself. The only downside is that you can only convert one file at a time and some files do mess up (in my experience) and refuse to convert.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote