Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Book Glutton goes Mobile

From the email:
Quote:
BookGlutton has launched a mobile reading experience! Fire up your iPhone or Android phone, open a browser and head to www.BookGlutton.com to see the new, streamlined version. Access your books on the go and pick up where you left off on other devices!

The mobile site keeps you up to date: browse the catalog, see what others are reading, or jump into a random book.

On BookGlutton Mobile the maximum space has been cleared for text. Tap the right or left side of the screen to move through the book, tap the center to slide your menu up. Change font size, peruse the Table of Contents, and see where you are in the book.
I checked, and you also have the option of switching to the full site.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I checked it out, pretty interesting idea for people who interested in commenting and sharing notes in community setting. I am currently using bookworm which works great for me. Same concept, no sharing notes among other people (which is fine for me) and no actual buying of books. Just uploading the books you already have. The one thing I did like is how they do their Table of Contents (take note bookworm lol).
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #3
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I checked it out, pretty interesting idea for people who interested in commenting and sharing notes in community setting. I am currently using bookworm which works great for me. Same concept, no sharing notes among other people (which is fine for me) and no actual buying of books. Just uploading the books you already have. The one thing I did like is how they do their Table of Contents (take note bookworm lol).
Is that bookworm.com? I didn't see any way to upload books there.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
I tried this site with the Boox 60. The initial login and selecting a book was painfully slow. After starting the book proper though, the pages flipped normally. Reading works both in landscape and portrait, the page adjusts to the orientation. Worked much better than I expected.

It looks as if it will accept personal books in epub format. I don't have time to try it but looks promising.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'm not sure what the display mechanism is, but for some reason, this doesn't work for my Palm Pre, even though I have the iPhone user agent spoof installed (which should, in theory, make the site think you're using it on an iPhone/iPod Touch). I get an "error: no configuration found" error when I try to read a book.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I'm not sure what the display mechanism is, but for some reason, this doesn't work for my Palm Pre, even though I have the iPhone user agent spoof installed (which should, in theory, make the site think you're using it on an iPhone/iPod Touch). I get an "error: no configuration found" error when I try to read a book.
It doesn't just support the Pre thru the browser? They are all webkit-why would they leave out the Pre?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Is that bookworm.com? I didn't see any way to upload books there.
Sorry.

http://bookworm.oreilly.com/

Its a really simple website and very fast. Just create an account (I did this on my desktop) and upload whatever epub books you want online (I did this on my desktop). And then just logon with your mobile device. The site comes up very quickly and lists your books. You then click on whichever book you want to read. It will keep track of what chapter you have left off reading. So a Table of Contents/Chapters while isn't required, is very helpful (especially on the mobile side of things).

Basically any mobile device is supported. If it can connect to the site it can read the book.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-24-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It doesn't just support the Pre thru the browser? They are all webkit-why would they leave out the Pre?
I have no idea. I tried to get to it through the browser, and it was a no-go. Honestly, I haven't tried to do it without the user agent patch, but I can't imagine that would work any better, since the article specifies Android and iPhone.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I have no idea. I tried to get to it through the browser, and it was a no-go. Honestly, I haven't tried to do it without the user agent patch, but I can't imagine that would work any better, since the article specifies Android and iPhone.
Weird...from what I'm seeing its just a mobile optimized page-not supporting the Pre/Pixi would be unfortunate.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Weird...from what I'm seeing its just a mobile optimized page-not supporting the Pre/Pixi would be unfortunate.
I agree. I should add that I can get to the main page fine. It's only when I try to open a book that I get the configuration error, so they might have some hooks in there that aren't universal, but there's no way for me to tell.

Just for kicks, I tried it on my Archos 605 (which uses Opera as the browser), and that didn't work, either. I couldn't even load the front page.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

You guys that are having trouble should try out http://bookworm.oreilly.com/ and see if you have any problems there. While its similar to bookglutton it doesn't have the sharing/discussion side of things.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
You guys that are having trouble should try out http://bookworm.oreilly.com/ and see if you have any problems there. While its similar to bookglutton it doesn't have the sharing/discussion side of things.
That site works great on my Pre. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
I found this unacceptable on my iPhone. The text is set so as to go to the very, ultimate edges of the screen left and right. Visually this pushes the serifs of the black type just about flush with the black border around the screen which I found visually disturbing. The page movement is slow and when you change pages the type visually scrambles as the animation lags. My suggestion is to leave at least a one pixel border on the left and the right, maybe two to three and to buffer the screen change when pages are turned and deliver it at speed. It could be a good site and I'll check back from time to time.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote