Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
What do you love/hate about your EZ Reader/BeBook?

Hi, I'm a newbie looking to jump into the e-reader pool. I've written about my research and shared my "wish-list" here. I've also written a post similar to this in the Cybook G3 forums and the Sony PRS-505 forums.

My first choice was either the Sony 700 or Sony 505. Then I looked at them at a Borders and came away unimpressed with the 700's display and a little hesitant about the design of the 505 (buttons on the side). So I have been looking at others (albeit I have not crossed the 505 off the list yet).

I've considered the Cybook G3 and the EZ Reader/BeBook, mostly because I liked the design and the format support. However, while lurking in the Cybook forum, it seems there is a lot of disgruntlement there. Which makes me think twice and thrice about that reader.

So, can you please tell me - why do you love your EZ Reader (or BeBook)? What is it that makes you want to curl up and get cozy with it? Or, if the relationship has cooled off, please tell me why - or, if you hate it now and want to get a restraining order issued and banish it from your life forever, then why?

Thanks so much for your opinions and shared wisdom.

-- Rique

Last edited by Rique; 05-19-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What I like most about the EZ Reader is that it can use Open InkPot firmware. I have been a fan of FBReader since using it for ebook reading on the Nokia 770 Internet Tablet. Open InkPot comes with FBReader and CoolReader3, so it is very flexible for DRM-free reflowable formats. I don't even try reading PDFs, and I would say that PDF support isn't yet up to par under Open InkPot. It is better, but not good, under the standard firmware.

All Hanlin firmwares have folder support, and I make use of this to organize my library. The battery life is very good, and I never turn off my EZ Reader - so resuming reading is very fast.

I have an iLiad (large screen is nice, and it also supports FBReader - but does not typically track the latest FBReader releases), and a Kindle 1 (the Kindle bookstore is good, but the reader software is only average - the K2's reader is a bit more flexible except that it looses the option for full vs left justification). I find I now use my EZ Reader almost exclusively for ebook reading. The other two readers stay in a drawer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I like battery life, folders, good format variety, excellent screen, user-added fonts, and the capability to run any Hanline software image. Mine has been extremely reliable so far.

For me the most annoying thing is the software doesn't support deleting a book on the device.

Overall, it's an excellent reader!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
helena
helena began at the beginning.

Device: lbook v3
I like:
  • that there are page back/forward buttons on the left and bottom of the
  • device.
  • the ability to read many formats, among which CHM and PDF support (I was doubtful about the usefulness of PDF on such a small screen, but I really love it)
  • that the page turns are fast enough
  • that I can organize the books into folders (I was stunned when I learned that this is not a standard feature on all ebook readers. It is essential to me)
  • the quality of the screen
  • the ability to install OpenInkpot. It is not great yet, but has lots of potential
  • that it remembers where I stopped reading and that I never have to turn it really off (I just lock the keyboard)
  • the "recent books" list, so that my most often read books are always only two clicks away (one to exist the current book, one to start the new one).
  • that new firmware is actively being developed by multiple companies

I don't hate anything, but there are a few irritations and a few things I miss:
  • Sometimes the page numbers are wrong for mobipocket files, so you cannot jump to a specific page you remembered.
  • The interface when reading mobipocket files is illogical. In other files you press the "7" button to get a table of contents, in mobipocket files you have to go throught the menu. When I am reading a book, I often do not think about the specific format, so this is irritating
  • Basic file manager support would be nice (copy and delete books)
  • User selectable fonts for all files would be nice
  • The ability to easily/quickly search in a book would be nice
  • There are more ebooks available for the Kindle, and they are often less expensive.
All in all I am very happy with my lbook
helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree with Wallcraft on the likes. I also prefer OpenInkPot's firmware. In addition since there are several Hanlin types out there and all their firmwares are compatible with the hardware, you can pick & choose for those finer differences between them. All my books are DRM free so I tend to stay with Openinkpot.

In general I think the Hanlin hardware is the best 6" eink device on the market and am looking forward to their 5" version since it should fit in my shirt pocket. I have a Sony PRS-500, Cybook Gen3 & Kindle1. The Sony is completely retired (still works but don't like it). Maybe (??) the PRS-505 is better but I have only seen one in passing. The Cybook & the Kindle hardware seem fragile although I like many of the Kindle's software features. I have passed the Cybook to my daughter but use the Kindle for Proof Reading my scanned/OCRed books because it has a highlight capability that is lacking in all the others.

The only thing I don't like on the EZ Reader (and this is common with the Sonys) is that the left-side page advance/backup buttons are IMO backwards. Since we read from top to bottom, it seems more logical to put the page advance button below the page backup button. The Kindle one does it this way and I find it easier for onehanded use.

Like Wallcraft, except for Proof Reading, I only use the EZ Reader.

P.S. I definitely do not like the proprietary ebook formats that Sony & Amazon have introduced and even when I use the Kindle I only read Mobipocket formats. However on the EZ Reader, I use Mobipocket, FB2, RTF, and the ocassional EPUB. It is much more flexible in that regard.

Last edited by slayda; 05-19-2009 at 04:30 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
While I prefer the way the Cybook cover holds the reader, The premium Bebook cover has a fold out that has room for a instruction cheat sheet and and extra SD card.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
Rique
Zealot

First of all, thank you all so much for your time, your generosity - and for the useful info you all posted. I don't know how to adequately show my appreciation - this is just more evidence as to how great this community is!

... and of course, I have some follow up questions.

Quote:
What I like most about the EZ Reader is that it can use Open InkPot firmware.
Quote:
All Hanlin firmwares have folder support, and I make use of this to organize my library.
@wallcraft, does Open InkPot support any DRM'd formats, such as ePub or ADE? Or will it be necessary to "scrub" any DRM'd books? Also, with respect to folder support, if I switch to a different firmware (e.g., from the standard f/w to OI) - would I then have to re-do all my folders?

Quote:
I like battery life, folders, good format variety, excellent screen, user-added fonts, and the capability to run any Hanline software image.
Quote:
the software doesn't support deleting a book on the device
@smithno, how is the screen for reading in the sunlight? Does the "good format variety" include DRM'd books, or is that only with the standard f/w? And how do you delete a book? On your computer?

Quote:
that it remembers where I stopped reading and that I never have to turn it really off (I just lock the keyboard)
Quote:
The interface when reading mobipocket files is illogical
@helena, is that only with the last book you read, or could that be with more than one book? If I were to go back to a book I set aside a while ago and pick it up again, would it remember where I left off? And will I need to get many books in mobipocket format - is that the preferred format for "mainstream" books (NY Times bestsellers)?

Quote:
However on the EZ Reader, I use Mobipocket, FB2, RTF, and the ocassional EPUB. It is much more flexible in that regard.
@slayda, do you have that flexibility with OI - or with the standard f/w? Do folk routinely switch back and forth between firmware versions?

Everybody, thanks again for all of your help! Did I mention?

-- Rique
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
I like battery life, folders, good format variety, excellent screen, user-added fonts, and the capability to run any Hanline software image. Mine has been extremely reliable so far.

For me the most annoying thing is the software doesn't support deleting a book on the device.

Overall, it's an excellent reader!
I agree.

And with the last lbook firmware (http://lbook.com.ua/downloads/V3upda...20090409-2.rar) you can delete a book from the menu.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Rique
Zealot

@leandroide, your avatar made me realize I forgot to ask a very important question - how well does the EZ Reader get along with Macs? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
@wallcraft, does Open InkPot support any DRM'd formats, such as ePub or ADE? Or will it be necessary to "scrub" any DRM'd books? Also, with respect to folder support, if I switch to a different firmware (e.g., from the standard f/w to OI) - would I then have to re-do all my folders?
OIP is DRM-free only.

I use Open InkPot's "live-SD" version, which co-exists with the standard firmware, but it does not see the ebooks in internal storage created by the standard firmware. All the ebooks on the SD card are visible to both. Since I now use Open InkPot almost exclusively, I will probably switch to the full firmware version on the next release.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Rique
Zealot

Thanks again everybody for all the help and for the benefit of your experience! While reading your replies and some others in other forums, I have come up with some other questions:

How would you describe the design of the reader - the user experience? Does it feel good in your hands - is operation smooth, easy to understand, intuitive? Does the operating system software seem well designed? How does it "look" on you?

If you plug it into your computer, does it show up as an external drive?

How about with a Mac?

Is there a dictionary (or can one be added)?

What about customer service and customer communications?

OK, I think I'm really done with questions (for now). Thanks for being gentle with me.

-- Rique
Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
helena
helena began at the beginning.

Device: lbook v3
Quote:
@helena, is that only with the last book you read, or could that be with more than one book? If I were to go back to a book I set aside a while ago and pick it up again, would it remember where I left off?
Yes, it does remember where you left off. This works really well and reliably, even if you change firmware. But (with my current firmware at least), the total page count on mobi files is often off, and jumping 10 pages ahead or back gives incorrect results. If you read a book from beginning to end (which I usually do) there is no problem whatsoever.
Quote:
And will I need to get many books in mobipocket format - is that the preferred format for "mainstream" books (NY Times bestsellers)?
I believe it is.
helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
How would you describe the design of the reader - the user experience? Does it feel good in your hands - is operation smooth, easy to understand, intuitive? Does the operating system software seem well designed? How does it "look" on you?
The device is quite well-designed, but the lack of page turning buttons at the right side is a sorry thing.
The OS is very easy to use, and certainly intuitive.

Quote:
If you plug it into your computer, does it show up as an external drive?
[...]
How about with a Mac?
It gets recognized as an external drive, and that's also the case on a Mac.

Quote:
Is there a dictionary (or can one be added)?
.mobi-dictionaries can be used, but there currently isn't an easy way to look up words while reading a book in the stock firmware. There's an experimental lBook-firmware version available that adds this feature, and OpenInkpot is also supposed to support a certain dictionary format.

Quote:
What about customer service and customer communications?
I have a BeBook and I'm more than pleased with the customer service and communications. It might take a while for the support to react, but the forum members of the BeBook forum provide a lot of answers, and once you get hold of technical support, they're awesome.
I got my BeBook replaced in the past (within warranty), and it wasn't a problem whatsoever.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
I agree.

And with the last lbook firmware (http://lbook.com.ua/downloads/V3upda...20090409-2.rar) you can delete a book from the menu.

L.
I have tried all of the firmware out there and I am currently using the previous lbook. It has a good HTML reader and since all of the format shifting approaches leaves books in HTML, it is dang convenient to just stop at HTML and start reading!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
smithno
Groupie

Quote:
@smithno, how is the screen for reading in the sunlight? Does the "good format variety" include DRM'd books, or is that only with the standard f/w? And how do you delete a book? On your computer?
-- Rique
It is great in full sunlight! We drove to the beach for vacation and I had no problem reading in the sun while the wife drove.

It supports Mobi DRM right now and I believe they are switching to EReader in a few months.