Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
phunkysai
phunkysai began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
ePub conversion issue

Hi, I'm new to Calibre so please be gentle!

I have a bunch of books in html format that I converted to epub format in Calibre so that I could move them over to my Stanza reader in my ipod (Stanza desktop tends to rip all the formatting out of HTML files).

When I transfer the epub file over to my ipod and view it in Stanza, all of the books continue past the bottom of the screen on almost all of the pages, and do not reappear on the following page, making the books unreadable.

Here's a screenshot:

See how at the very bottom the text has run off the page?

I'm not sure what's going on but if you need any other info from me let me know....
phunkysai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Here's a thought - try making your .epub using the --profile="None" instead of the default "PRS505".
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
phunkysai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Here's a thought - try making your .epub using the --profile="None" instead of the default "PRS505".
Thanks for that. I tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work....
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is an issue with your HTML files using non reflowable markup like tables or <pre> tags. Attach one of these files and I'll have a look.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Then try to override the default CSS by using --override-css or manipulate the page/margin info i.e. --margin-top etc.

You might want to search in these forums how to override the CSS as I haven't done it myself (yet).

By the way, I have access to an iPod Touch (the wife's) but have not yet viewed .epub books thereon with stanza, so I am interested in finding the solution to your "problem".

EDIT: Great, I see, Kovid to the rescue...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
phunkysai

attached

OK, thanks, here is the HTML file for the book in the screenshot above...
Attached Files
File Type: zip example.html.zip (229.7 KB, 282 views)
Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
phunkysai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
By the way, I have access to an iPod Touch (the wife's) but have not yet viewed .epub books thereon with stanza, so I am interested in finding the solution to your "problem".
If you open HTML files on Stanza Desktop, and then transfer them over to your ipod touch, they are very readable currently in Stanza, but Stanza removes bold, italics, and images when it transfers HTML.

I'm just trying to use Calibre since the created epub file will then retain the html formatting, or at least that is the hope!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm there's nothing about the markup/css in that file that jumps out. Does the file view correctly in the desktop stanza viewer?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think this might just be a Stanza issue. You could try changing the Stanza font size slightly (either by calling up the Settings screen from within the book or by pinch type gestures) and see if that makes a difference.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
phunkysai

It looks ok on Stanza desktop (except it has no bold or italics and the spacing is weird), but the words do not run off the page.

Changing the font size on the ipod touch didn't help either.

It's strange. Stanza says they don't make any changes to epub files if you open them in Stanza desktop. They only convert HTML and other files. Not sure what is causing it to display weird on the device.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #11
phunkysai

Do you think I should set all margins to 0 in Calibre when I go to do the conversion? Maybe I'll try that...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkysai View Post
Do you think I should set all margins to 0 in Calibre when I go to do the conversion? Maybe I'll try that...
Can't hurt to try, you can always set them back later.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
phunkysai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can't hurt to try, you can always set them back later.
Well crap that didn't work either...

I wonder if there is any way to get Stanza involved? I will try their forum one more time....
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think stanza has a ticket system, just attach the epub file to a ticket and hopefully they will address it
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
phunkysai

Thanks for your insight. I sent Stanza a support email with the sample files, and also pointed to this forum thread, so hopefully they'll help...