Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I totally agree, but I'm coming to it with the expectation that it'll be a slightly better booklight, not that it'll be like an evenly illuminated backlit LCD screen, because I know that this type of lighting system won't produce even illumination.
Assuming you get a good screen, and I sure hope you do, the lighting should be more even than any light from a cover with built in light. Those definitely cast shadows. My MightyBrite clip on will give about, if not slightly better, light distribution. But clip ons are a major inconvenience, to say the least.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-12-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #47
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm glad I returned mine. This shows that it would never look good for dark room night reading.
Playing Devil's ADvocate here (an unusual position fo rme, as I'm usually crititcal of Amazon), is that really that bad? I have a Kobo Glo and the lighting effect looks pretty similar overall, aside from the fact that (with the default settings) Kobo smartly hid the blotchiness at the bottom by inverting it (creating a small black area with grey text on top of it for the page numbering). Amazon could copy Kobo's innovation (which really does do an amazing job at smoothing out the apparent lighting) with a firmware update for the Paperwhite.

But even without it, isn't that still more even lighting than you would have with an e-ink reader and an external book light? And isn't it still better on your eyes at night than an LCD tablet? I personally don't care how white the screen is (not that Kobo has promised a white screen, perhaps I'd feel differently if I felt lied to); I don't read on an e-reader trying to mimic the paper experience, I read on an e-reader trying to have an e-reading experience.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Playing Devil's ADvocate here (an unusual position fo rme, as I'm usually crititcal of Amazon), is that really that bad? I have a Kobo Glo and the lighting effect looks pretty similar overall, aside from the fact that (with the default settings) Kobo smartly hid the blotchiness at the bottom by inverting it (creating a small black area with grey text on top of it for the page numbering). Amazon could copy Kobo's innovation (which really does do an amazing job at smoothing out the apparent lighting) with a firmware update for the Paperwhite.

But even without it, isn't that still more even lighting than you would have with an e-ink reader and an external book light? And isn't it still better on your eyes at night than an LCD tablet? I personally don't care how white the screen is (not that Kobo has promised a white screen, perhaps I'd feel differently if I felt lied to); I don't read on an e-reader trying to mimic the paper experience, I read on an e-reader trying to have an e-reading experience.
Not in my experience. A good clip on like my MightyBrite casts at least as even of light as the doctored Amazon photos and way better eveness than the three actual PWs I've had. You really have to see the PW in person. Photos on the internet are not even close to the same visual experience.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #49
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
It doesn't to me, but that's because I know what that looks like in person: you have blue background behind the shopping cart and on the same line pink to right of the search symbol. It is not enjoyable, to me, when I try to read a book, because I don't like looking at the screen: almost like reading a novel that oneone pilled two different colored drinks on.

Others may not mind, I simply am a very visual person and have great eye sight.
I'm with xendula and jswinden. The Kindle screen looks darker on the top portion of the screen than the bottom. Of course, what one person sees is not what somebody else sees.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
I'm with xendula and jswinden. The Kindle screen looks darker on the top portion of the screen than the bottom.
That's exactly what one would expect from a side-lighting system. It's what a booklight does, too. The portion of the screen closest to the light will be more brightly illuminated than the portion further from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #51
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Not in my experience. A good clip on like my MightyBrite casts at least as even of light as the doctored Amazon photos and way better eveness than the three actual PWs I've had. You really have to see the PW in person. Photos on the internet are not even close to the same visual experience.
As I say, I have a Kobo Glo that, while it has some differences from the PW, apparently diffuses the light in a similar manner. Perhaps the quality control is better for the Glo (no one seems to be complaining about pink blotches on the screen, etc.), but that's not really the point.

Wouldn't a book light have a lot of wasted light, falling on the bezel, falling off the sides of the e-reader, or bounced into ambient light around the room? That would be unappealing for me given I have to not disturb my partner in bed.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
As I say, I have a Kobo Glo that, while it has some differences from the PW, apparently diffuses the light in a similar manner. Perhaps the quality control is better for the Glo (no one seems to be complaining about pink blotches on the screen, etc.), but that's not really the point.

Wouldn't a book light have a lot of wasted light, falling on the bezel, falling off the sides of the e-reader, or bounced into ambient light around the room? That would be unappealing for me given I have to not disturb my partner in bed.
In your case I'm sure a self-lit Kobo, Kindle, or Nook would be a better option if you get a good one. But light distribution is not more even on them as compared to a well positioned clip on.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #53
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:

Scrapking, can you post pictures of the Kobo Glow? Is the screen an even color hue when the light is on? (jealous!)
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #54
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Actually the level 5 photo does not look good to me. It may be a photographic artifact but I'm seeing this big, irregular cloud of greenishness. Of course my visual cortex has been sensitized by hours of looking at my PW screen, which has similar clouds of pink and green (in my case mostly pinkish).

I think there's some sort of prism effect going on that is separating the white light as it passes through (or leaks into) the capacitative layer. Slight variation in thickness could account for it. Some units have more variation than others, ranging from better to worse.

I do think Amazon's suggestions about appropriate lighting level are spot on, however. In a dark room even 5 is way too bright, and I can even read at level 0, once my eyes adjust (but different PWs appear to have different lighting ranges).

I don't expect a 'paperwhite' screen in all situations, but I do expect neutral, off white color.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #55
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Do a long press on the zero level for the PW light chart and the light will turn off totally.
That's what the manual seems to imply, but I just tried it and they're still on.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #56
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I can't read at level 5 in total darkness with my PW. I need a 10 at least.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
That's what the manual seems to imply, but I just tried it and they're still on.
The light is on at level 0. I see it as a usability thing. If it were totally off, you would not be able to wake the device in total darkness and be able to find the light level control very easily. Level 0 is 'just enough' light to make this possible.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can't read at level 5 in total darkness with my PW. I need a 10 at least.
Me too, except in past tense.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
Jez_terr
Jez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enoughJez_terr will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I've taken some photos of my Glo. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=928

The pictures definitely don't do the screen justice - the fuzziness is down to me, not the Kobo.

There was a fluorescent light on in the neighbouring room, hence the shadows on the right hand side of the screen.

I tend to read in bed with the brightness on the lowest setting, but I do keep the black light control on to mask the LEDs.
Jez_terr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez_terr View Post
I've taken some photos of my Glo. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=928

The pictures definitely don't do the screen justice - the fuzziness is down to me, not the Kobo.

There was a fluorescent light on in the neighbouring room, hence the shadows on the right hand side of the screen.

I tend to read in bed with the brightness on the lowest setting, but I do keep the black light control on to mask the LEDs.
The Kobo Glo screen looks a lot better than 95% of the Paperwhite photos I've seen. I noticed it does have a very slight blue hue, but not bad and definitely none of the dark shadowy blobs found on the Paperwhites.

EDIT: Does the Glo have a capacitive touch screen, or is it infrared?