Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Thriller writers

Anyone have a favorite thriller book author?

The standard authors: Clancy and Flynn have cover prices too high for me so I have been relying on some of the lesser known authors for example: Thomas Hoover, David Wood and James Piper. I prefer to pay less for my reading then more.

I also like John Dalma's writing style. What authors are similar to his writings?

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-06-2012 at 08:58 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My favorite thriller author is Greg Iles. I've read every one of his books. Here's his Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2_..._id=B000AQ3ODO

Some of the content is very disturbing and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone not able to deal with brutal violence.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't know Dalma's work but I'm a big Clancy fan. I'd put Brad Thor right up there in the same genre (Scott Horvath series). Also Stephen Hunter (Bob Lee Swagger series). And David Baldacci (Camel Club series).

I don't mind a little slower action so my all-time favorite is Robert Ludlum. He wraps a ton of intrigue into his books.

For a slightly different slice of the genre, less political more uberman, there is always Lee Child (Reacher series), Barry Eisler (Rain series, Treven series is more political), and Eric Van Lustbader (white ninja series). Some of Lustbader's stand-alone novels are awesome as well.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I don't mind a little slower action so my all-time favorite is Robert Ludlum. He wraps a ton of intrigue into his books.
I like Ludlum, even if he tended to write the same story over and over, with just the names of the characters changed
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll check out Greg Iles but I know that Clancy and Thor will cost too much. I will look at Stephen Hunter, most of Baldacci's works are too much dollars however I will look at all of the authors.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Do you have access to a public library? My library has ebooks by Clancy, Baldacci, Ludlum, Child and Van Lustbader. They also have books by Steve Berry, Brad Meltzer and James Rollins who haven't been mentioned yet.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

Mine has nothing I want to read and no they have none of the authors you mentioned. They own copies of all of those authors however they are never ever in stock. For every 100 customers for a book by that author there is one book for them to read and at that point you might as well forget about geting the book within your life time. Their slogan is: If you want it we don't have it, if you don't want it we got it. Thats why I rely one electronic books, not having a book you want does not really compute. How many times has B&N and/or amazon told you that a book you want is not in stock? Never happened.

Last edited by jbcohen; 06-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
There are public domain thrillers available. Here's a list from feedbooks. Alternate one or two of those for every purchased contemporary one and your average cost won't be high.

Thriller was the category for the MobileRead bookclub in March 2012, June 2011, and June 2010 and I've linked the nomination threads which have great suggestions for books to read.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
From Synamon's feedbooks link I have read the Rick Dakan "Geek Mafia" books. I heartily recommend them, very enjoyable.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 06-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I still like Alistair MacLean for well written fast paced thrillers.
Guns of Navarone
Breakheart Passs (Western)
The Golden Rendezvous
The Golden Gate
Ice Station Zebra
Where Eagles Dare
Seawitch
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't read thrillers very often but when i do i like blake crouch, matthew reilly and jeremy robinson.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
my favourite thriller writers are

jack higgins
clive cussler
harlan coben
michael connelly
robert ludlum

but best is jack higgins
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try Sir Henry Rider Haggard. "King Solomon's Mines" or "She" will rival any modern thriller writer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
brutal violence. yes please. I need to look into those

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Try Sir Henry Rider Haggard. "King Solomon's Mines" or "She" will rival any modern thriller writer.
i will
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote