Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
AliceRoared
AliceRoared began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
902 frozen

I've had the 902 for a year and 3 months and not once has it had a problem until now.

It's been freezing every few page turns (as in, when I try to turn the page, it won't respond) and the reset button has stopped working. I insert a paper clip into the reset hole and press down but nothing happens.

I've managed to turn it on now again but am hesitant to do anything with it right now because it might just never turn on again. =/

The software version I've got (which I haven't updated at all since I got the Pocketbook) is W902.2.0.3. 20101214_160521.

Please help. D:
AliceRoared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hm, sounds strange.

What kind of file were you reading when it froze? Sometimes this happens because of a corrupt file. Maybe you try another book and see what happens.

If it's independant of this I'd recommend to update FW to latest version, maybe the OS caught a bug. Flashing should work regardless if it's frozen or not.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
AliceRoared

It was an ePub file and I was having the same problems with another book I was reading, too, which was a PDF that I'd had no problems reading before.

I'm also having trouble charging it because when I stick the cable in, it only charges if it's at a certain angle, if that makes sense. I have to keep the cable pushed upwards slightly or the Pocketbook ignores it, and once I've got it charging, unless I keep the pressure on the cable, it will be ignored.

Can you please tell me how to update the software? I tried following the manual on how to do it automatically, but I don't have an 'update software' option in the maintenance section. =/ I'm following the guide here: http://download.pocketbook-int.com/u...ok_902(EN).pdf (The instructions are on page 54.)

I'm going to admit I know nothing about the inner workings of my Pocketbook and ask what it means by 'internal Device storage'? Do I just plug the Pocketbook in, take the file that it specifies and copy it to the Pocketbook? Or do I put it into a specific folder in the Pocketbook?

Also, what's 'flashing'? And an OS?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I presume it is like the old days: dowload the firmware, unzip it on an SD card (or on the device if you have not got an SD card), connect the device to your computer, then switch it off, then back on. While it is switching on, press both of the buttons with the arrows, until "updating firmware" appears on the screeen, at which point you release the buttons and watch the machine updates itself for the next couple of minutes.

Here are the instructions:
http://download.pocketbook-int.com/6...ook-902-en.pdf
after you have preformed the update, it is better to delete the three files that you unzipped on your device, as otherwise in future updates the device will first check the updating software available on it, and go for that one unless you tell it otherwise.

EDIT: OS= operating system
Flashing: you overwrite the existing software of the device with a later (or also the same) version. There is only one part of the memory of the device that you can see when you connenct your pocketbook. A lot of the software is hidden, and to access it you have to "root" the device, which is loosely speaking like getting administrator privileges on your computer.

This is the computer illiterate explanation of these terms

Last edited by paola; 04-21-2012 at 03:35 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
AliceRoared

I'm praying I've done this correctly! It's currently copying the file to the device.

Okay, I've updated it.

ETA: Wow, I'm so amazing. I've managed to screw this up somehow. Next to the time stamp on the bottom right is a little x with a down arrow next to it. Help? D:

Also, my laptop seems to think that the Pocketbook is still connected to it when it's not. Oh gosh, I've totally done something wrong. -.-

Last edited by AliceRoared; 04-21-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceRoared View Post
I'm praying I've done this correctly! It's currently copying the file to the device.

Okay, I've updated it.

ETA: Wow, I'm so amazing. I've managed to screw this up somehow. Next to the time stamp on the bottom right is a little x with a down arrow next to it. Help? D:

Also, my laptop seems to think that the Pocketbook is still connected to it when it's not. Oh gosh, I've totally done something wrong. -.-
hang on, which software version have you downloaded? If it is 2.1.3 then the arrow with the x is fine, it is something to do with syncronization of books purchased with the Obrey store taht I still have not qutie fgured out, but should be harmless.

For the laptop connection, it could be that it is a computer issue: is the reader working?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
AliceRoared

I think it's all fine now. Yeah, the update is the latest version.

It's connecting to the laptop now and the ereader hasn't had a problem since I updated it. *knocks on wood*
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
If it is 2.1.3 then the arrow with the x is fine, it is something to do with syncronization of books purchased with the Obrey store taht I still have not qutie fgured out, but should be harmless.
If you have your PB registered with the Obreey Store (or before Obreey it was Bookland, use the Bookland account-data to login to Obreey) you can synchronize purchased Books or FW updates via WiFi. Touch the down-pointing arrow and a menu will appear with options for synchronization
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Touch the down-pointing arrow and a menu will appear with options for synchronization
thanks Troll, did not know that! My device is registered, but somehow I can never find the books I am after on Obrey
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks Troll, did not know that! My device is registered, but somehow I can never find the books I am after on Obrey
They have classics for free, I ordered one just to give it a try
Otherwise you are right, I don't find stuff there too