Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
Successfull charging the Vox?

So, the Vox charger is terrible -- way too short to be usable. And it won't charge over USB, and my other chargers won't do 5V2A. So I bought one 5V2A, but it had a USB port, it wasn't a dedicated cable, and it refused to charge the Vox (charged my phone fine). I bought a dedicated 5V2A charger, and it also won't charge the Vox. (I've checked out battery status, it says discharging. I've left it in for an hour, still no change in charge level.)

Does anyone have a *specific charger* which they have *successfully used* to charge the Vox? Not an "any charger should work" comment, because maybe it should, but they don't. You cannot buy a spare charger from Kobo, and in any case unless they gave a useful one, with a long cable, I would not purchase one from them.

I am in Canada, so a link to a product available here would be useful. I very much like the device on other fronts, but the pickiness about chargers might be a death knoll.
jeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don;t think there have been any chargers mentioned by anyone I was wondering if a USB extension cable might work, but don't see any micro-usb sized ones.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also, I think from what we were told by a Kobo rep, any SHOULD work; just the indication on the Vox that it IS charging might not show.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Check out the thread with travel in the title. One person did successfully use a third party charger.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

The travel thread says, and I quote, "Any 2Amp USB charger should work. I've used several". This is not the case for me. I want the brand of a specific charger which has successfully worked. (I have tried DigiPower and Rocketfish, the only 5V2A chargers that I could find near my office at lunch.)

I know the light will not change, and that's fine. One thread said that checking battery status (in settings) would show that it was charging -- it showed that it was discharging when plugged into my charger. Even if I assumed that was incorrect, the actual charge never increased. So we have two chargers which do not charge the Vox, even though both have the output that Kobo says is necessary. Maybe I have a bad Vox, but it charges just fine using their cable.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am using a Samsung "travel adapter" I bought at Staples.I don't see it on the Staples website, but here it is on the Samsung site: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...ETA0U60JBEGSTA

It works fine. I think I paid $26 CAD for it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
I am still waiting for the super-cheap power adaptor I've ordered on ebay from China - only 3.25$ shipped, claims to charge Ipad:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/270729905404?...84.m1439.l2649

I'll let you know if it works for Kobo Vox when I get it.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Can you confirm that the charge level % reading changes even using the provided Kobo charger? There is a known issue where the battery controller stops reporting the correct level until a hard reset.

The Vox will charge on a 2A charger, it just won't show it that is charging.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
jeather
Enthusiast

My Vox has always shown an updated charge level while charging without a hard reset. (It does only show in increments of 10%, which is odd.) I mean, it might be working for one charger and not the other, but that seems beyond odd.

What does "won't show that it's charging" mean? It means that the light will not go on, yes, but if I go into settings and battery status, should it still say discharging? I was charging from about 50% charged, so there wasn't a problem with battery level hitting zero.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I am pretty sure that the Kobo Vox's mini USB charger's jack will have a different pin-out. If someone has a Vox charger cable and is able to trace the cable to the pin-outs, any 5V2A charger should work provided that the pin-out is matched on the Vox's cable. This will require some modifications on the generic cable to enable this function - Will KoboJW confirm? This will confirm the Vox's demise now that the new Nook & Fire are nibbling on the heels of the Vox if Kobo doesn't make extra chargers available real soon!
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
"Won't show it's charging' means that the lock screen won't report that it is connected to a charger or show battery level, the battery icon in the notification bar won't show that it is charging and battery status will show 'Discharging'. But, if left connected, the Battery level reported should rise.

Profbisson: your suspicion is correct.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
KoboJW - do you have access to the pinout? Kindly share with us!
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote