Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-30-2023, 01:04 AM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Need Help w/ Reformatting Chapter Headings

I'd appreciate any help in how to go about reformatting the chapter headings in this book. It's Glen Cook's "A Cruel Wind":

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title

This is a fresh download of the AZW3 from my Amazon library. What I'm showing here is from my Calibre converted epub, but I've checked the source AZW3 and KindleUnpack versions and they look pretty much the same. Here's an example of what all the chapter headers look like:
Code:
<p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1" id="filepos21832"/>
</p>

<p class="whitespace"></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">O</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre19">NE:</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">T</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre19">HE</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">Y</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre19">EARS 583-590 AFE</span></p>

<p class="whitespace"></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">H</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre24">E</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">I</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre24">S</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">E</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre24">NTERED IN THE</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">L</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre24">ISTS OF THE</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">W</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre24">ORLD</span></p>

<p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1"/>
</p>
I'm at a loss for how to convert that to something readable. The spans basically work out to be bold tags and the calibre7 class is nothing but a standard paragraph with top/bottom margins of 1em. The problem is even if I remove those, I'm left with all those hard returns and spaces. I can also get rid of the hard returns. But I can't come up with a way or removing the spaces reasonably across all the chapter heading in the book.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 01-30-2023 at 01:08 AM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Load the KF8 version into the editor and post the code from the chapter header so we can see what it looks like.

Here is what it's supposed to look like from the Baen website.
http://www.baen.com/Chapters/1597800...800546___4.htm
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 08:04 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yeah, that’s ugly. The spans are a cludge to make something ‘appear’ to have small-caps for those older/deficient devices that don’t support the css.

It may be easier/faster to just manually type the headers yourself - assuming there are a reasonable number of chapters.

If not, I would simply use a few regex passes. Exactly HOW you do that is up to you - there are multiple techniques. I would just use incremental steps to do the job. Some regex geniuses could probably do it in 3 passes...

Code:
Pass 1: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1" id="filepos.*?"/>\s*</p>\s*<p class="whitespace"></p>
Replace: leave blank

Pass 2: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre(24|19)">(.*?)</span></p>
Replace: <h4>\L\2\E</h4>

Pass 3: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">(.*?)</span></p>
Replace: <h3>\1</h3>

Pass 4: 
Find: </h3>\s*<h4>(.*?)</h4>
Replace: \1</h3>

Pass 5: 
Find: </h3>\s*<h3>
Replace: single space

Pass 6:
Find: </h3>\s*<p class="whitespace"></p>\s*<h3>(.*?)</h3>
Replace: single space<span>\1</span></h3>

Pass 7: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1"/>\s*</p>
Of course, standard regex safety protocols should be engaged - save your work first, and test the regex a couple of times BEFORE hitting the replace-all button. You also may need to hit the replace-all button a few times for each pass (until it can’t find anymore matches). Sigil just implemented the feature of being able to see what changes are being made, and allow you to edit which ones you want, before accepting the changes. I’m not sure if Calibre Editor has that feature??

That should leave you with:
Code:

<h3>One: The Years 583-590 afe <span>He Is Entered in the Lists of the World</span></h3>
Then you can style it however you wish. I like using the actual small-caps style as most modern devices respect it; IIRC kobo does. My CSS would look like this:
Code:
h3 {
margin:0; 
font-weight:bold; 
font-family:serif; 
font-size:1.2em; 
font-variant:small-caps;
text-align:center
}

h3 span {
display:block; 
margin-top:1em; 
font-size:1em
}
I wrote this on my phone. As soon as it’s safe for me to turn on the computer (ie I won’t wake up my wife ) I’ll double-check the regex. I think I got it right, but I’ll edit it if I missed something.

Cheers!

EDIT: Regex Confirmed - with only a small edit on pass 2. I've also attached a screenshot of how it would look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.png
Views:	90
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	199340   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	79
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	199341  

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-30-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Load the KF8 version into the editor and post the code from the chapter header so we can see what it looks like.

Here is what it's supposed to look like from the Baen website.
http://www.baen.com/Chapters/1597800...800546___4.htm
Here's that same bit from a freshly Added AZW8 (i.e., NOT converted, JUST Added):
Code:
<p><br class="calibre1" id="filepos21832"/></p>
<p class="calibre9"></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">O</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">NE:</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">T</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">HE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">Y</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">EARS 583-590 AFE</span></p>
<p class="calibre2"></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">H</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">E</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">I</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">S</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">E</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">NTERED IN THE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">L</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">ISTS OF THE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">W</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">ORLD</span></p>
<p><br class="calibre1"/></p>
It's interesting that the stuff on the Baen website looks correct while what they've got published on Amazon is entirely wrong. And, it looks like it's been wrong for at least 10 years. Here's a quote from my 10 year old review of the book:
Quote:
the formatting of the Kindle version I read suffered from consistent problems: every chapter header and comment was rendered in large, bold text with the first letters separated from their words by one line. Also, every italicized word in the book (and there were quite a few (most of them mistakenly italicized)) was also separated from the text by a blank line before and after.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yeah, that’s ugly. The spans are a cludge to make something ‘appear’ to have small-caps for those older/deficient devices that don’t support the css.

It may be easier/faster to just manually type the headers yourself - assuming there are a reasonable number of chapters.

If not, I would simply use a few regex passes. Exactly HOW you do that is up to you - there are multiple techniques. I would just use incremental steps to do the job. Some regex geniuses could probably do it in 3 passes...

Code:
Pass 1: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1" id="filepos.*?"/>\s*</p>\s*<p class="whitespace"></p>

Pass 2: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre(24|19)">(.*?)</span></p>

Pass 3: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><span class="calibre18">(.*?)</span></p>

Pass 4: 

Pass 5: 

Pass 6:
Find: </h3>\s*<p class="whitespace"></p>\s*<h3>(.*?)</h3>

Pass 7: 
Find: <p class="calibre7"><br class="calibre1"/>\s*</p>
Of course, standard regex safety protocols should be engaged - save your work first, and test the regex a couple of times BEFORE hitting the replace-all button. You also may need to hit the replace-all button a few times for each pass (until it can’t find anymore matches). Sigil just implemented the feature of being able to see what changes are being made, and allow you to edit which ones you want, before accepting the changes. I’m not sure if Calibre Editor has that feature??

That should leave you with:
Code:

<h3>One: The Years 583-590 afe <span>He Is Entered in the Lists of the World</span></h3>
Then you can style it however you wish. I like using the actual small-caps style as most modern devices respect it; IIRC kobo does. My CSS would look like this:
Code:
h3 {
margin:0; 
font-weight:bold; 
font-family:serif; 
font-size:1.2em; 
font-variant:small-caps;
text-align:center
}

h3 span {
display:block; 
margin-top:1em; 
font-size:1em
}
I wrote this on my phone. As soon as it’s safe for me to turn on the computer (ie I won’t wake up my wife ) I’ll double-check the regex. I think I got it right, but I’ll edit it if I missed something.

Cheers!

EDIT: Regex Confirmed - with only a small edit on pass 2. I've also attached a screenshot of how it would look.
Wow! Thanks. I'll work through that and see how it goes. I can't believe you typed all that on a phone. Thanks, again.
Advert
Old 01-30-2023, 09:06 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I woke up with crying/coughing babies... and was REALLY bored...
Old 01-30-2023, 09:17 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Code:
<p class="calibre9"></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">O</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">NE:</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">T</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">HE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">Y</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre4 bold">EARS 583-590 AFE</span></p>
<p class="calibre2"></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">H</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">E</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">I</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">S</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">E</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">NTERED IN THE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">L</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">ISTS OF THE</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre3 bold">W</span></p>
<p><span class="calibre10 bold">ORLD</span></p>
Just FYI (and yes, I'm on my computer now ) with the KF8 code you would use the following passes:

Code:
Pass 1: 
Find: <p><br class="calibre1" id="filepos.*?"/></p>\s*<p class="calibre9"></p>

Pass 2: 
Find: <p><span class="calibre(4|10) bold">(.*?)</span></p>

Pass 3: 
Find: <p><span class="calibre3 bold">(.*?)</span></p>

Pass 4: 

Pass 5: 

Pass 6:
Find: </h3>\s*<p class="calibre2"></p>\s*<h3>(.*?)</h3>

Pass 7: 
Find: <p><br class="calibre1"/></p>
The result is identical to the first "after" image.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I haven't worked with your regex yet. But, I just wanted to add that I think you're right about the intent being to smallcapify the heading. Unfortunately, they closed each "first letter" and word with an end paragraph mark. So, every chunk got its own line.

Why nobody caught that over the last decade or so, and fixed it, I don't know. It's not exactly a subtle type-setting result.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #9
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I think I understand what you're doing with that regex. The only issue is that Calibre doesn't support lower-casing via \L\E. But, I worked around that with the Calibre Editor's Regex-Funtion "Lower-case text" mode. I've got to examine the document a bit more to double-check, but it looks good. Thanks.
  • Pass 1: Removes the extraneous starting bit of the bad chapter heading
  • Pass 2: Grabs the end-of-word fragment, strips the formatting, makes it lower case with \L and \E (Calibre doesn't support that) and marks it as heading level h4
  • Pass 3: Grabs the starting character, strips the formatting and marks it as heading level h3
  • Pass 4: Grabs the end-of-word fragment at the h4 level, strips off everything else, concatenates it with the starting character at the h3 level and ends the result in an ending h3 tag
  • Pass 5: Replaces each chunk of intermediate white space (and tags) with a single space
  • Pass 6: Removes the intervening tags/whitespace/class="whitespace" stuff from between the remaining two strings and puts the second string in a span
  • Pass 7: Removes the extraneous ending bit of the bad chapter heading
Old 01-30-2023, 11:27 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

yup - you got it!!

I used <h3> and <h4> just to differentiate a lowercase section of words from an uppercase. You could use any string of nonsense letters as long as it isn't used elsewhere in the book. I also pretty much end up using <h3> as my chapter headers most of the time, so that came to mind to use.

The use of <h3> as a chapter designation is absolutely NOT required. You will find some people just use <h1> for every heading... I like the ability to use multi-level ToC, both visually (it looks cool and matches the organization in my brain) and functionally (being able to collapse/expand certain areas), and it is more semantically correct if you have a document with subsections to use the different levels of <h1-6> to denote the subsections. It also follows the standard for accessibility...which is a good thing.

The actual <h> tag used is only a semantic indicator of the 'level' of the heading. You can style the heading to look however you wish.

Code:
<h1> Cover
  <h2> Front matter
  <h2> Title
    <h3> Prologue
    <h3> Chapter
    <h3> Chapter
    <h3> Epilogue
  <h2> Back matter
<h1> Back cover (if used)

-- OR --

<h1> Cover
  <h2> Front matter
  <h2> Title
    <h3> Prologue
    <h3> Part or Book
      <h4> Chapter
      <h4> Chapter
      <h4> Chapter
    <h3> Part or Book
      <h4> Chapter
      <h4> Chapter
      <h4> Chapter
    <h3> Epilogue
  <h2> Back matter
<h1> Back cover (if used)

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-30-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've borrowed the eBook from Amazon via Overdrive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ef=kinw_myk_ro

Here is the code from the KF8 version.
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta charset="UTF-8"/>
  <title>A Cruel Wind: A Chronicle of the Dread Empire</title>
  <link href="../styles/0001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
  <style type="text/css">

/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }
  /*]]>*/

</style>

</head><body class="calibre" id="5N3C0-11644f3118e64bc193ce2ca166b24ddb">

<p class="calibre9"></p>

<p><span class="calibre3 bold">O</span><span class="calibre4 bold">NE:</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">T</span><span class="calibre4 bold">HE</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">Y</span><span class="calibre4 bold">EARS 583-590 AFE</span></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

<p><span class="calibre3 bold">H</span><span class="calibre10 bold">E</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">I</span><span class="calibre10 bold">S</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">E</span><span class="calibre10 bold">NTERED IN THE</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">L</span><span class="calibre10 bold">ISTS OF THE</span> <span class="calibre3 bold">W</span><span class="calibre10 bold">ORLD</span></p>

So I really don't see how your copy is so messed up since it's good to go from Amazon.

Now to return the eBook and delete it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #12
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Well, that's really weird. I went to my Amazon library where the book is sitting without any kind of update available. I downloaded it once again, just in case it changed overnight. Added it to Calibre and the chapter headings are still messed up.

I was under the impression that Amazon keeps our purchased books up-to-date. But, either they don't or the version that they let people borrow via Overdrive is different from whatever I bought more than a decade ago.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:05 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I was under the impression that Amazon keeps our purchased books up-to-date.
You probably need to enable that on Amazon website
Manage Your Content and Devices > Preferences > Automatic Book Updates
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:12 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I was under the impression that Amazon keeps our purchased books up-to-date. But, either they don't or the version that they let people borrow via Overdrive is different from whatever I bought more than a decade ago.
That is definitely not true. In fact it is the opposite. You keep whatever version of the book was current at the time you bought it.

Only in rare cases when the publisher convinces Amazon that an update is critical will it be made available to past purchasers to accept optionally.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:14 PM   #15
enuddleyarbl
Guru

I didn't have "Automatic" book updates on, but it's been prompting me that an update is available in my library if there is one. I always tell it to update to the latest version. But, that's really not going to make any difference since I don't actually have anything on a Kindle any more to be updated.

I AM downloading to my old Kindle Touch (to transfer via USB). That could be the difference. Maybe they stopped updating the older formats that would go to those older devices and only update the latest and greatest copy-protectedness versions. And, I'd assume the ones they lend via Overdrive would be locked down the hardest.