Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-27-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Calibre for ChromeOS

Is there any plan for this?
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
Nope. You bought a rather useless computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2023, 03:58 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not 'useless'. It has its (intended) uses: Email and browsing.

Is there a Client for Remote Desktop connection, It could be uses as a terminal for Windows Pro versions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:27 PM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
You may not prefer it but it is far from useless.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You may not prefer it but it is far from useless.
Maybe not 100% useless but mostly useless.
Advert
Old 01-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what the majority of the people I meet are using their computers for, ChromeOS does what they want. Web browsing, email, games, using Office Online, connecting to a remote desktop session, using some Android apps, etc.

For what I do, a Chromebook would be about as useful as sandals on a guppy but that does not mean that other people are not going to happy using one.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what the majority of the people I meet are using their computers for, ChromeOS does what they want. Web browsing, email, games, using Office Online, connecting to a remote desktop session, using some Android apps, etc.

For what I do, a Chromebook would be about as useful as sandals on a guppy but that does not mean that other people are not going to happy using one.
Yeah. Many people I know don't need or use anything else than the web browser on their personal computers. They haven't installed any programs beyond those that came with the device, and probably wouldn't even know how to do that. About the only thing they customize is the wallpaper.

I couldn't live with ChromeOS even for a day, but for most people it would probably be perfectly fine.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
What a useless comment.

You can install calibre by enabling support for Linux apps, see this for reference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Well, given that @NSILMike wants to run Calibre, a Chromebook is not useful.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:14 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suggest the OP do a search for ChromeOS in the Calibre forum ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166

There are several threads where folks have doc'd how they installed calibre on Linuxed ChromeOS on various devices - Lenovo tablets, Pixel fones etc. Some problems connecting e-readers Kindles, Kobos etc but they may have been sorted by now.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:52 AM   #11
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
Far From Useless

I just purchased a sort of plebian chromebook (Lenovo Flex 5i) on sale at Amazon. Installed many Linux apps (incl Calibre). Exceedingly simple instructions all over the internet ex: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how...our-chromebook

Instantly significantly improved the value of my Chromebook - in fact I don't even have to use the Chrome browser, phew! I use Firefox - much better privacy.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
What do you mean? Calibre works on Chromebooks. Enable Linux support, and then use the installer from the homepage. You may need to add missing dependencies but I've done it before, works like a charm.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:33 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A lot of Chromebooks are 32-bit only so you cannot run Calibre 6.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:15 PM   #14
jck
jck began at the beginning.

Device: none
OK, now that you guys have trashed my Chromebook, I'm still left with my Acer Chromebook since the latest Windows update really trashed my computer. (I decided that, as DNSB said, I'm using my computer mostly for browsing, downloading audible and ebooks, using word and excel, and Gmail, I might has well use my Chromebook instead of messing with !@#$@#$ Windows.) BUT....

Has someone managed to get Calibre to work on a 64 bit Chromebook? More importantly has anyone written out simple instructions on how to load Calibre on a Chromebook and posted them for the non-expert users like me. Has/Will anyone pass their instructions on so it can be tried by those of us who love Calibre but aren't sophisticated users?

PLEASE be a hero and someone take up this quest.
jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:28 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you look at the link in message #11 to How to run Linux apps on your Chromebook? I agree with the OP that these were exceeding simple instructions.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, chrome os