Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
LotsToRead
LotsToRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question New Kobo Forma(s), paging and update issues

I have a brand new Forma, in fact, the second new one I've gotten.
Both have the same issues.
1) When in 'standard' page tabbing setup, tabbing enabled on left and right of screen, and holding the Forma with page buttons on right side, all is well, left side touch pages back and right side touch pages forward.
But when rotated 90 so buttons on bottom, touching left side no longer works. (upon examination, it looks to me like the page addressing is wrong when rotated. you can find an area, offset ~25% from left edge, that does work)
2) Kobo support suggests 'syncing'. Tried manually sync, as well as the 'auto sync'. Looks like sync occurs (see updating messages, check mark in sysc icon appears, etc), but the version remains the older one, 4.12.12111, never shows the new one of 4.13.12638.
3) Tried 'factory reset'. Says updating, but remains old version.

Anyone else having any of these issues? Any suggestions?
LotsToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't have a Forma, but I'd recommend posting this in the Kobo section here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes, likely best to contact the mods and have them move this to Kobo subforum (if they don't notice it and do so on their own).
Haven't been able to reproduce your page turn issue. Tried kepub, epub and pdf. Which of the 4 tapping page turn options are you using? Locked to landscape or in auto-rotation? I tried a bunch of different combos and I can always tap right against left edge of screen and it works.
As to updates, it's likely that the affiliate your device is set to hasn't had the latest firmware pushed to it (Kobo staggers its rollout of new firmware at different times to different affiliates -- generally based on what store you bought from). More details and how to sideload the update if you want can be found in the Kobo subforum.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
LotsToRead
LotsToRead began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Don't know how to contact the mods, did send a message to 'contact us'. Thanks for the suggestion.
I using the tapping page turn option on the far left, what tech support called 'standard' paging option. Where, tap left area for page back and tap right area for page right. In Auto Rotation. As to affiliates, tech support didn't mention or indicate any updates would be from an affiliate, but that is certainly an interesting thought. I wonder if Kobo support hasn't though of that... The Forma(s) were purchased through Walmart, which I've read is the only place to get them in USA. Haven't yet done or looked into sideloading the update, ha, didn't know it could be done. A little reluctant to do that while their tech support is still talking to me (hmmm, they haven't emailed me today to do a factory reset for the Xth time today.....).
Thanks for all replies!
LotsToRead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, issues, kobo, paging, update