Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #196
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The "body" element does not add margins to individual pages. Please click here for details.

By default, Atlantis Word Processor saves no page margins to EPUBs. In this way, eReaders display the Atlantis EPUBs with their default page margins. If you enabled the "Save page margins" option in the "File | Save Special | Save as eBook..." dialog of Atlantis, you can click the "Setup..." button to specify page margins for your eBooks. Note that ADE does not support page margins specified as percentage values. Please click the "Setup..." button in the "Save as eBook" window of Atlantis, and switch to another measurement unit. By default, Atlantis offers "cm".
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #197
Montyp535
Zealot
Montyp535 began at the beginning.

Device: (former) Ebookwise 1150, PB 302, (now) PB 612, PB Touch, HTC DesireS
thanx for the link and the info about the percentage! such a solution is helpful - but it is not the "end of line" - a solution in the process of the epub-saving would be more comfortable... :-)
Montyp535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #198
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@awp

Hi awp.

I use many tools to create epub and awp is probably one of the easiest to use.

Now, I have a feature request: would it be possible to add to the conversion menu (Save as eBook) an option that would remove empty paragraphs of the doc file? These empty paragraphs are a true plague and not so easy to spot in document files; and they often undermine the "good" behavior of epub files.

I know this kind of function already exists in other converters, so it is certainly possible to add it. It would be really useful, at least for me!

Have a nice day.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #199
Montyp535
Zealot

mh, I use the empty paragraphs between headings and text and between "breaks" in a chapter... when it should be implemented, then really just as option... :-)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #200
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Montyp535

This is exactly what I am talking about: an option you can enable or disable, nothing more, nothing less!

By the way, if you need to put a space after a heading you could use, in the CSS, the function "margin-bottom: 2em;"

Quote:
For example:

h1 {
font-size: 2em;
text-align: center;
font-weight: bold;
margin-top: 2em;
margin-bottom: 2em
}
It allows you to precisely adjust the space between these two elements (h1 and the next paragraph).

The problem with empty paragraphs as a space (something like that "<p class="p1">&nbsp;</p>") is especially noticeable at the end of a file: an eReader can put a blank page after it, which is not necessarily desirable.

Personally, I never use empty paragraphs in the epub (and very rarely in document files): it seems much more efficient and judicious for me with styles and CSS.

Have a very nice evening Montyp535!
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #201
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyp535 View Post
thanx for the link and the info about the percentage! such a solution is helpful - but it is not the "end of line" - a solution in the process of the epub-saving would be more comfortable... :-)
I am not sure what solution you mean. You can specify page margins directly in the "Save as eBook" window of Atlantis, and use those values for all your eBooks generated by Atlantis. What could be more comfortable? You do not need to specify page margins for each and every document you save as eBook.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #202
awp
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
would it be possible to add to the conversion menu (Save as eBook) an option that would remove empty paragraphs of the doc file?
If there are unwanted blank paragraphs in your document, it is preferable to fix this problem in the document itself. Just press Ctrl+H in Atlantis, type "^p^p" (without quotes) in the "Find" box, type "^p" (also without quotes) in the "Replace with" box, and click "Replace All". See the screen capture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	del_blank_pars.png
Views:	258
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	93787  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #203
Arios
A curiosus lector!

@awp

Thanks for the fast reply!

Actually it is what I do (^p^p for ^p), but I really like the way writer2xhtml
do it:

AutoCorrect
Ignore hard line breaks
Ignore empty paragraphs
Ignore double spaces

Anyway, more and more I find it easier to deal directly (in code view) with the epub file and with the help of Sigil I can "regex" the empty paragraphs that I have not found in the doc.

Thanks again and have a nice day awp.

PS To Montyp535: "margin-bottom: 2em" was just an example! You can set it up to your liking.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #204
Montyp535
Zealot

@awp
thanks for the reply. it was a "tinking error" on my side :-) - I got an idea from another side - without body margins, only with page margins - the left an right side I can choose in my reader... I'll test it with left / right 0 and only with bottom/top margin, how the reader shows me the file...

@arios
also thanks for your idea. I have the empty paragraphs for a little makro in word, what deletes the indent of a paragraph after a empty line when I fomat the whole text with indent. but its worth to think about - of course I know the possibility to set a bottom space :-)
I think I know what you desire - a "cleaning makro" of exactly the things you spoke about when saving the book - also a nice solution...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #205
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Hi Montyp535,

Not sure to completely understand, but if you don't want indentation after a heading (<h1> for example) you could use in the CSS:
Code:
h1 + p {text-indent: 0}
In this way, the paragraph immediately after h1 is not indented (if there is an empty paragraph after h1, it will not work).

Montyp535, Atlantis Word Processor does not support macros, so no cleaning macro for me.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #206
Montyp535
Zealot

whats about the (not) font-embedding with AWP? I was asked a few days ago from a guy with very bad eyes for an ebook WITHOUT any font embedding - he uses only sansserif-fonts and want to set his font on his reader for himself.
When I produce an epub in AWP without the option "embed fonts" is anyhow a reference of the in doc-used font in the styles.css - in the p-tag (font-family:"Times New Roman",serif; ) - and if other fonts are used - in the t-tags (.t7{font-family:"Courier New",monospace; or .t10{font-family:"Palatino Linotype",serif} there are still the Info about other fonts.
And this pevents that he can change the font in his reader. I tested it with coolreader on PC, with my own PB touch - when I manually delete the text in the text, it works...

Is it possible, when the embed-option is switched off, to reduce the info in the css - that I must no manually delete it?

Last edited by Montyp535; 10-19-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #207
awp
Addict

I understand what you mean. But what you are asking for has nothing to do with font embedding. When the "Embed fonts" option is enabled in the "Save as eBook" window, Atlantis Word Processor automatically embeds all the necessary font files in the saved eBook files. If you unpack an EPUB file generated by Atlantis with the "Embed fonts" option enabled, it would contain the "Fonts" folder with the TrueType .ttf files corresponding to the fonts used in your source document.

Regardless of the "Embed fonts" option, Atlantis includes information about fonts in the styles.css file. I presume you do not actually mean "font embedding". You mean saving no font formatting (font-families) to EPUB (to the styles.css file). In this way, all eReaders would display your eBook with their default fonts.

I agree that omitting "font-family" formatting in EPUBs altogether might be useful. I might have some news on this soon.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #208
awp
Addict

The latest beta version of Atlantis Word Processor offers an option to save "font-less" eBooks.
Please click the following link for details:

http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com...2012_10_23.htm
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #209
Montyp535
Zealot

WOW!! That's fast!! and exactly what "I want" - Now I can choose, if a book could use the reader fonts or not - that's service - for the readers of books - and also for the customers of awp!!
Thank you!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #210
Montyp535
Zealot

Mh, the options with "no embedding" and "save but not embed" are working - but when I try to embed any font in the epub, I can't found none in the final epub...
I tried some different, because some are not embeddible - but also in older books used fonts are not working. Tested on 1.6.5.10 beta rc4.

Tags
ebook, epub