Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Pocketbook Inkpad 3 vs Amazon Kindle Oasis 2 Screen Comparison

Hi All, looking for a comparison review of this two ereaders. Currently I'm using the Kindle Voyage and very happy with it but I would like something larger, I know the old cliché "Size doesn't matter" but in these case I think it does lol.

I'm also a kindle unlimited member which I use a lot and I use calibre frequently. Any help would be appreciated.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
I can't compare against the Oasis, but I recently got an InkPad 3 and I'm very happy with the screen. The size and resolution are fantastic, the frontlight is even over the screen, and being able to adjust the color is nice. The one minor issue I had was that I thought all the built-in serif fonts were too light, but that was easily fixed by downloading some more fonts. (E.g., you can put Bookerly on it if you really like that font.)

IMO the main thing that would decide which device you'd be happier with is whether or not you want to be tied to Amazon. If you want to integrate with the Kindle bookstore and use Amazon's cloud features to manage your library from the device, you probably won't be happy with the InkPad. OTOH, if you want to manage your library from Calibre, side-load everything onto the device, and not have Amazon spying on your reading, you probably won't be very happy with any of the newer Kindles.
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
So, how does either:

WebBrowser->file->AirplaneModeKindle
or
WebBrowser->file->Calibre->AirplaneModeKindle

allow amazon to do any spying on reading?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

I have an old Kindle 4 that I always keep in "airplane mode" and manage through Calibre. But my understanding is that Amazon has locked down things like collections on all their recent devices and you can only manage those through their cloud interface (or by manually putting books into collections on the device). Some form of collection management or tagging is a must for me with several hundred books on the device, so that was a deal-killer for me with respect to updating to a newer Kindle.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
I have an old Kindle 4 that I always keep in "airplane mode" and manage through Calibre. But my understanding is that Amazon has locked down things like collections on all their recent devices and you can only manage those through their cloud interface (or by manually putting books into collections on the device). Some form of collection management or tagging is a must for me with several hundred books on the device, so that was a deal-killer for me with respect to updating to a newer Kindle.
As the OP owns a Kindle Voyage and is happy with it, that's probably not an issue.

For myself, I do sideload all my books through Calibre, but have always been happy with all my Kindles. I bought the Oasis 2 mainly because of the larger screen and have not regretted it. And as you can now install your own fonts (that was my main gripe with Kindles), I couldn't be happier.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
pondscum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As the OP owns a Kindle Voyage and is happy with it, that's probably not an issue.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make. If you depend on the Kindle ecosystem for some of your reading material and are happy there, the InkPad's probably not the best device for you.

If you want to manage Kindle books via the Amazon cloud and have others side-loaded from Calibre, I'd look at an Android e-reader (Likebook Mars or Onyx Boox Nova) with the Kindle app installed.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I don't actually sideload from calibre I convert the epub then send it to kindle via the "send to kindle" program because I rely heavily on page sync on all devices.

Which I'm realising that I should go for the Oasis after all. But the position of the buttons puts me off a bit

Last edited by Gibbo; 02-12-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
pondscum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Which I'm realising that I should go for the Oasis after all. But the position of the buttons puts me off a bit
TBH the position of the buttons below the screen on the Inkpad 3 is not ideal, either. I use them when I have the reader sitting on a table in front of me, e.g. when I'm doing some reading over lunch (prevents getting greasy fingerprints on the screen). But it's pretty awkward to use the buttons while holding the reader in one hand. It's easier to tap the edge of the screen with my thumb when reading in bed, for instance.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
But it's pretty awkward to use the buttons while holding the reader in one hand. It's easier to tap the edge of the screen with my thumb when reading in bed, for instance.
Although I would be using a case so maybe the button layout would not be an issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fintie-Kind...jXL&ref=plSrch
Old 02-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks for your help and suggestions, I don't actually sideload from calibre I convert the epub then send it to kindle via the "send to kindle" program because I rely heavily on page sync on all devices.

The position of the buttons on the Oasis is perfect for reading. When you hold the device in either hand, your thumb naturally falls over the page turn buttons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #11
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Actually the position of the page-turn buttons on the side is very good. In my opinion, the physically ideal device is Inkpad 2 which looks the same as Oasis, but with wider buttons https://www.pocketbook-int.com/sites...inkpad2_ww.png

The buttons on Inkpad 3 are
- too narrow
- in the wrong place for the size of the device

Oasis with 7" screen looks extremely attractive to me. If you tend to be locked to the Kindle ecosystem anyway, it is the right option.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Oasis with 7" screen looks extremely attractive to me. If you tend to be locked to the Kindle ecosystem anyway, it is the right option.
I'd just point out that buying an Oasis certainly doesn't "lock" you to anything. I have books from numerous different sources (both bought and PD downloads) on my Oasis.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd just point out that buying an Oasis certainly doesn't "lock" you to anything. I have books from numerous different sources (both bought and PD downloads) on my Oasis.
I'd just point out that the first poster says he is a Kindle unlimited user.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #14
Gibbo
Guru

Thanks again for your comments, I've decided for the Oasis 2 and it will be my retirement present coming end of march lol. After working 38 years for the MoD I think I deserve it.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And as you can now install your own fonts (that was my main gripe with Kindles), I couldn't be happier.
am I to understand that you can install your own fonts on Kindles now without jailbreaking?

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote