Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #211
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I just noticed that Eve Forward's wonderful book, Villains by Necessity, is now available both as an ebook and an audiobook. Well recommended.
pwalker8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:24 AM   #212
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I just noticed that Eve Forward's wonderful book, Villains by Necessity, is now available both as an ebook and an audiobook. Well recommended.
That sounds like fun ... but exclusive to Amazon at the moment, or so it seems.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #213
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
That sounds like fun ... but exclusive to Amazon at the moment, or so it seems.
Yes, it's a KU book.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #214
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Not a book or an author I'm familiar with. What makes it wonderful?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #215
pwalker8
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not a book or an author I'm familiar with. What makes it wonderful?
It's a quirky take on the classic fantasy of the quest to conquer Evil. In this case, Good has conquered, wiping out Evil and the world has become, as the novel begins "Boring". When it's discovered that without evil, the world will be destroyed, a group of former villains get together to restore the balance.

It's been a while since I read it, but I remember it being one of those books that I picked up and looked up a number of hours later after I had finished it. Eve Forward is Robert Forward's daughter. She really only had two books that I know of, this book and a book called the Animalist, which I didn't really care for.

I guess that the book is one of those books that never really found an audience, which was too bad. Googling it, the reviews aren't all that great, but I really enjoyed it. Looking on Goodreads, it's rated 4.17 out of 5 with over a 1000 ratings so I'm apparently not the only person who loved it. Apparently it's one of those books you either love or hate. I suspect that you need to have read a lot of the traditional D&D based fantasy books to get some of the humor though.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...s_by_Necessity
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #216
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you. It sounds interesting.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #217
pwalker8
Wizard

Finished up my re-read of Villains by Necessity. It's aged well. It does help if you are familiar with the D&D style fantasies. One can tell that this is a first novel and there are some sections that could have been a bit smoother, but all in all, a fun read. In my personal opinion, it's better than a lot of books being put out by some much more prolific authors.