Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #256
rvcjew
Zealot
rvcjew doesn't litterrvcjew doesn't litter
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 156
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA,CA
Device: PW3, T80S, T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
It's been a week since my last charge, and I am charging my Mimas today, with an estimated 4 more days left. I am satisfied with how long the battery is lasting between charges. I use it quite a lot and always have the light on - somewhere around mid-level or a little higher. I don't think I have had Wifi on at all though.

Anyway... while I am charging the Mimas, I thought I would take the time to add a few books. I expected to see folders and my individual book titles in the "Books" folder in the root folder... the "Books" folder is there, but it is completely empty! I don't understand why that is. Where are all of my books, including the books I was just reading when I plugged the device in for charging and file transfer? They are on the device. Does the Boyue software hide them somewhere? I am flummoxed.

I'm quoting myself below because I originally had my books organized in folders and subfolders in the "Books" root folder... but the Boyue software was messing up that organization when I tapped on the 'Books' tab at the top of the screen... so I later changed the names of all of those folders I made by adding 'Fiction' or 'Nonfiction' to the name of the subfolders. (I did that renaming on the device itself rather than when it was plugged in to my computer.)

I expected to see all of those subfolders now and to be able to transfer some additional books into the appropriate subfolder. Instead there are no folders and no books in the "Books" root folder!

Here are my two previous posts on the subject, in case it helps:





Can anyone help me understand what the heck is going on? What am I missing? (Other than my books?)
Are you sure all your books are still there, you can open one you have never read on there before? On the PC what is your hierarchy like?
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #257
Jose Manuel S
Member
Jose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 6724
Join Date: Dec 2018
Device: none
What filesystem has the micro SD? It's usually FAT32 by default, but if your microSD has NTFS sometimes it gives problems in Android, both filesystems are property of Microsoft and the companies have to pay royalties to use it. FAT32 is 32 bits and the file size no more than 3,5 GB each one.

If you will only use the microSD with Android I'll recomend you Ext4 or ReiserFS, more info here about both filesystems. You need any Linux distribution to do it, Windows won't recognize the microSD.

Last edited by Jose Manuel S; 02-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Jose Manuel S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #258
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 326
Karma: 1142842
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Device: Boyue T62+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Are you sure all your books are still there, you can open one you have never read on there before? On the PC what is your hierarchy like?
Malcolm
Yes, they are still there. I've opened a bunch of them including books I had never opened before. Looking at the Mimas root Books folder on my PC, there is no hierarchy because no books are shown for some unknown reason.

I originally added the bulk of my books by transferring them from my PC to the the root "Books" folder, using the USB C-USB A cable I bought. In the root folder, they were organized into either "Fiction" or "NonFiction" folders, further sorted into additional subfolders.

The Book tab at the top (I guess that should be referred to as the "Bookshelf"?) would not display my books in that preferred order... so I ended up using the file manager to rename my folders - starting with fiction or nonfiction at the start of the name and getting rid of the top level fiction/nonfiction folders.

Anyway... it's so weird that those folders all show up when I browse with the Mimas file manager. The books are all there, in their appropriate folders just the way I renamed them. And they show up under the Books tab, divided into the folders I made.

They just don't show up when I try to transfer books and click on that same Books folder in the root. It's perplexing.

I am able to see all of my other folders in the root, along with all the materials inside each folder... and I can transfer those files, delete them, move them etc. Just not Books.

It's an annoyance because I can't put the books into the folders where they belong when I transfer the files from my PC. Instead, I put the books I wanted to add into the Books folder, but then I later have to cut and paste each file on the device to move them to the appropriate folders. That is not a big deal when I transfer just a few, but it becomes frustrating if I want to transfer a lot of books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Manuel S View Post
What filesystem has the micro SD? It's usually FAT32 by default, but if your microSD has NTFS sometimes it gives problems in Android, both filesystems are property of Microsoft and the companies have to pay royalties to use it. FAT32 is 32 bits and the file size no more than 3,5 GB each one.

If you will only use the microSD with Android I'll recomend you Ext4 or ReiserFS, more info here about both filesystems. You need any Linux distribution to do it, Windows won't recognize the microSD.
I'm not sure if your post was in reply to mine, but in case it is -- I do not have a micro SD card in my Mimas.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #259
Jose Manuel S
Member
Jose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animals
 
Posts: 16
Karma: 6724
Join Date: Dec 2018
Device: none
I thought you have a micro SD attached, in this e-reader everything fails.

Last edited by Jose Manuel S; 02-13-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Jose Manuel S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #260
rvcjew
Zealot
rvcjew doesn't litterrvcjew doesn't litter
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 156
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA,CA
Device: PW3, T80S, T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Yes, they are still there. I've opened a bunch of them including books I had never opened before. Looking at the Mimas root Books folder on my PC, there is no hierarchy because no books are shown for some unknown reason.

I originally added the bulk of my books by transferring them from my PC to the the root "Books" folder, using the USB C-USB A cable I bought. In the root folder, they were organized into either "Fiction" or "NonFiction" folders, further sorted into additional subfolders.

The Book tab at the top (I guess that should be referred to as the "Bookshelf"?) would not display my books in that preferred order... so I ended up using the file manager to rename my folders - starting with fiction or nonfiction at the start of the name and getting rid of the top level fiction/nonfiction folders.

Anyway... it's so weird that those folders all show up when I browse with the Mimas file manager. The books are all there, in their appropriate folders just the way I renamed them. And they show up under the Books tab, divided into the folders I made.

They just don't show up when I try to transfer books and click on that same Books folder in the root. It's perplexing.

I am able to see all of my other folders in the root, along with all the materials inside each folder... and I can transfer those files, delete them, move them etc. Just not Books.

It's an annoyance because I can't put the books into the folders where they belong when I transfer the files from my PC. Instead, I put the books I wanted to add into the Books folder, but then I later have to cut and paste each file on the device to move them to the appropriate folders. That is not a big deal when I transfer just a few, but it becomes frustrating if I want to transfer a lot of books.



I'm not sure if your post was in reply to mine, but in case it is -- I do not have a micro SD card in my Mimas.
Sounds like the Bookshelf thing indexed them and moved them somewhere or an issue with MTP is happening. Do you have the play store, if so get the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tware.explorer and look at the book folder with that and if it's empty go to the root of the sdcard (mount point in android for internal unlike EXT_SDCARD) then in the top right tell it to search and put in a filename of a book exactly as you know it with extension and let it search for it.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #261
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 326
Karma: 1142842
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Device: Boyue T62+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Sounds like the Bookshelf thing indexed them and moved them somewhere or an issue with MTP is happening. Do you have the play store, if so get the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tware.explorer and look at the book folder with that and if it's empty go to the root of the sdcard (mount point in android for internal unlike EXT_SDCARD) then in the top right tell it to search and put in a filename of a book exactly as you know it with extension and let it search for it.
Malcolm
Thank you for your suggestion, Malcolm. I haven't had Playstore or the Google framework enabled since I reset the device, and I rather prefer it that way. I may try that Explorer app some time in the future though... I guess it depends how much this idiosyncrasy will end up bothering me. It's not a major problem or anything, just strange.

I don't think I've restarted the device since I changed the folder names. Maybe that will help.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #262
rvcjew
Zealot
rvcjew doesn't litterrvcjew doesn't litter
 
Posts: 101
Karma: 156
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA,CA
Device: PW3, T80S, T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you for your suggestion, Malcolm. I haven't had Playstore or the Google framework enabled since I reset the device, and I rather prefer it that way. I may try that Explorer app some time in the future though... I guess it depends how much this idiosyncrasy will end up bothering me. It's not a major problem or anything, just strange.

I don't think I've restarted the device since I changed the folder names. Maybe that will help.
If you just want to side load it to check use this apk of it off the store. https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/speed-...-apk-download/
I have used the pro version of this app since the Moto Droid 1. When your done with it just remove it and disable security/unknown sources if you want so apps can't be side loaded again.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #263
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books
 
mrpotts's Avatar
 
Posts: 66
Karma: 900
Join Date: Jun 2010
Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Anyone having any success with an easy way to annotate PDFs?

Thanks,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boyue LikeBook Plus (T80s): Technical Stuff fernsruben Android Devices 189 Yesterday 02:07 PM
BOYUE Likebook Note fernsruben Android Devices 98 11-11-2018 04:14 PM
BOYUE Likebook Plus (Carta 7.8''- 4core processor) viceant Android Devices 277 10-28-2018 01:58 PM
How install dictionary on Boyue likebook ? flyx Android Devices 4 10-26-2018 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:19 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.