Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
New Themes! Time to Sound Off!

Time to set the slate of Themes for the rest of the year!

Everyone's welcome to make suggestions, a full theme in our usual format or a part; everyone should also feel free to tweak the various suggestions. Final choices will be limited to one per regular, so the time horizon doesn't extend out too far. But it's not hard to be a regular for the next round! Just show up in the discussion threads.

I think the only limitation is that we don't allow strictly genre themes, i.e., no category such as "Westerns." (That one would surprise me.) But a genre can be suggested or implied in the the theme, so people can run with it as they will.

A little later I'll try to dig up earlier discussions and link to them, as a jumping off point and an aide to those who are unclear. Looking at the list of prior themes could help, too.

What have I missed?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:43 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a tentative first pass at suggested themes. Corrections, amendations, updates, please!

Bookpossum: Over the Hills and Far Away: Journeys
Bookworm_Girl: Tasty Morsels: Short and Sweet
Catlady: The Times They Are a-Changin': Revolution
CRussel: Chasing Rainbows: The World of Colour
Dazrin: If Books Could Kill: Thrilling Stories
gmw: Tales of Tails: Birds or Beasts
issybird: Life’s a Beach: Water, Water, Everywhere
Victoria: Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers

Charlie, were you going to tweak yours to our more typical format?

And not to worry, folks, the water theme is a placeholder as I try to come up with something more to the general taste.

Last edited by issybird; 02-12-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Through post #91.
Advert
Old 02-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Remind me, where are we starting with themes? What months are already filled?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

We have a totally blank slate starting with April. No themes, no time slots filled. It'll be a two-stage process: first decide on the themes and once we've got a full list, slot them into the remaining months of the year according to fit and whim. So have at it!
Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Earlier discussion threads:

Here and here and here.
Advert
Old 02-04-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd like to recycle our very first theme -- A Rainbow of Reading, books with colour-full associations
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Here are some options that I've been thinking about recently.

First, one I have suggested before but didn't use. Changing away from this sounded good to me at the time but I still really like this one. So, if someone still wants to use it, feel free.
Tasty Morsels, Short and Sweet

Here are some newer ideas that need a bit of work; it's obvious that I've been a bit enamored with pun and cliche based topics for a bit:
The Writings on the Wall, Art and Architecture
Loose Canon, Unorthodox Opinions
If Books Could Kill, Thrilling Stories
An Author You Can't Refuse, Mob Mentality - "Mob Favorites"? Just "Favorites"?

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-04-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'd like to suggest The Times They Are a-Changin': Revolution. I'm thinking that this could include anything from actual wars to scientific/technological breakthroughs to social movements--fiction or nonfiction, stories on a grand scale or stories of individuals.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'd like to recycle our very first theme -- A Rainbow of Reading, books with colour-full associations
How about calling it The Wonderful World of Color--same theme, just a different title.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Look at you, trying to sneak in an alternative spelling for color in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'd like to suggest The Times They Are a-Changin': Revolution. I'm thinking that this could include anything from actual wars to scientific/technological breakthroughs to social movements--fiction or nonfiction, stories on a grand scale or stories of individuals.
I like this one.

And I like the alternative for Rainbow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The Wonderful World of Color
I'm not completely opposed to recycling themes but I think I prefer the slight twist a revised theme can give us.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Another idea: Down the Rabbit Hole: Tales of the Unexpected. This could include anything from twisty thrillers to conspiracy theories, from adventure tales to spy stories, from detective/true crime to science fiction (eeek!). And of course, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Addendum: One more: You've Got to Be Carefully Taught. I don't know what the back half of this would be--I'm thinking of school days, as we did previously, but also teaching/teachers of any kind, mentors, parents/children, as well as the original lyric, which referred to being taught to hate.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-04-2020 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #12
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I love all the suggestions so far. Impressive! But I don’t know how you can just spin these out. I’ve spent the last day trying to think of something that would go with Guilty Pleasures.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I love all the suggestions so far. Impressive! But I don’t know how you can just spin these out. I’ve spent the last day trying to think of something that would go with Guilty Pleasures.
Why not put Guilty Pleasures after the colon? Then you could put anything at all before it. Wine and Cheese. Naps. Handbags. Power Tools. Anything that seems fun or an indulgence to you. People would still be free to interpret Guilty Pleasures as they'd like.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

For my own suggestion, how about Life's a Beach: The Sea?
Old 02-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hmm. Guilty Pleasures: Between the Covers?