Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
NaughtyDonkey
NaughtyDonkey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Deleting books but keeping titles?

Hi,

Is there anyway of deleting books but keeping the titles that are marked read?

I don't see the point of keeping books that I have read, but when it comes to a series, it would be useful to keep a record of what I have read previously.

I don't know how many times I have downloaded a book to find that I have in fact read it.

Thanks in advance
NaughtyDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Delete the actual book files by right clicking the remove books button and keep the book record
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You don't ever re-read? (disk space is cheap. If anyone had told me back in the 90's that 5T drives were under a $100 (I paid $450 for my first 40Meg HD in the mid 80's ) [no adjustments for inflation]

I prefer to see what I am trashing, so I do this in the MDE.
Select a format in/on the Right window and use the recycle icon: OK

Or use the Right click Remove: <option> :formats <<< be very careful, there is no UNDO.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I do this because I keep a publicly available Calibre library available with no actual book files, just metadata in addition to my regular Calibre library with all of the book files, that isn't publicly available. I use it as a catalog for when I'm not at home to help me choose my next book, since I can't see the metadata of books on my Kindle account without downloading and opening the book.

I used to use Calibre Companion for this, but I find it's easier for me to just be able to do it from a browser. Once I choose a book, I download it from the Kindle cloud using my Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My inability to throw away paper books has continued in my use of digital books. I rarely delete any book, unless it's just terrible, or not what it was supposed to be.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
NaughtyDonkey

Thanks for the quick replies,

Still not 100% sure which of those options on right clicking will delete the book but keep the title. They look a bit dangerous to me, scary words like 'Format' and 'Remove All'

Kovid, I am sure you have heard this many times, but.. Thank You for Calibre!

I am a voracious reader and Calibre, and of course the InterWeb, has meant I no longer have to hide in the Library toilets at closing time, so I can get locked in overnight....

As you say TheDucks, space is cheap these days. A hard Drive you say? I remember storing my files on cassettes! lol

Aah, the day I got my BBC B, with a real hard drive...Sheer magic. What the youth of today take for granted eh?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDonkey View Post
Thanks for the quick replies,

Still not 100% sure which of those options on right clicking will delete the book but keep the title. They look a bit dangerous to me, scary words like 'Format' and 'Remove All'

Kovid, I am sure you have heard this many times, but.. Thank You for Calibre!

I am a voracious reader and Calibre, and of course the InterWeb, has meant I no longer have to hide in the Library toilets at closing time, so I can get locked in overnight....

As you say TheDucks, space is cheap these days. A hard Drive you say? I remember storing my files on cassettes! lol

Aah, the day I got my BBC B, with a real hard drive...Sheer magic. What the youth of today take for granted eh?
Format, means the CHOSEN format

Oh! yes, Cassette for my TI 99-4 until the came out with the Floppy interface. (I cloned the Factory 360K drive unit * 3 for just over 1.8 M of drives. Amazing what you could do when you did not have to keep switching disks )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
My inability to throw away paper books has continued in my use of digital books. I rarely delete any book, unless it's just terrible, or not what it was supposed to be.
Ditto.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDonkey View Post
I use the Remove files of a specific format from selected books option to remove one, some, or all formats, I use it a lot, so I set its shortcut to Alt+Del:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-20 071942.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	177256

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-20 072115.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	177257

I also set Shift+Numpad-Del to Remove selected books… Del alone does nothing, far too dangerous.

I've never kept books that I'm unlikely to re-read. The thing I dislike most about ebooks is that I can't leave them 'lying about' for others to read - for free or nearly so if I leave them at a charity shop.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
NaughtyDonkey

Better Red : "I've never kept books that I'm unlikely to re-read. The thing I dislike most about ebooks is that I can't leave them 'lying about' for others to read - for free or nearly so if I leave them at a charity shop."

Oh, I dunno, I've lost a couple of laptops that way, usually left behind in a cafe...

Once again, Thanks everyone for your help..