Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #61
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I will be updating my first post with the link, but I have received enough to release 5.10.0.2 factory image.

This was successful on a device that shipped with 5.10.0.2 and on my device that shipped with 5.10.0.1.

The research that resulted in this was a french PW4.32 with LTE, and a US PW4.8 with wifi; so these should be good for wifi and LTE models.

Last edited by coplate; 11-17-2018 at 05:59 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #62
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Thank you all! I'm grateful for your work and sharing these tools.

I was able to successfully jailbreak the Kindle (5.10.0.2) and I have updated to 5.10.1.2.

But I have run in to a problem...

I installed KUAL using MR Package Installer (;log mrpi). I was watching the screen and it flashed a message that the install was successful.

The KUAL booklet is showing on the screen, however, when I tap it to open KUAL, it is just a blank screen. The only items that show at the very top of the screen are the device name, airplane mode, battery, and time.

The only way to exit it is to hold the power button and restart the device.

My goal is to use KOReader on this Kindle.

I also tried installing (using mrpi) kpvbooklet (0.6.4, or 0.6.5 or 0.6.6) and the "destroying packages" message popped up on all three, so I'm not able to install that (at least not yet).

I also transferred an epub file to the Kindle and it is in the documents folder, but doesn't show in "Downloaded". (Edit: just wanted to add a note that I found that epub will not show unless you are using kpvbooklet, so disregard this comment as this is not an issue with KUAL.)

If anyone can help me troubleshoot, I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Attached a couple of screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kual01.png
Views:	436
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	167778   Click image for larger version

Name:	kual02.png
Views:	551
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	167779  

Last edited by homeceo43; 11-18-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added note about why epub is not showing
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeceo43 View Post
The KUAL booklet is showing on the screen, however, when I tap it to open KUAL, it is just a blank screen. The only items that show at the very top of the screen are the device name, airplane mode, battery, and time.
PSA for PW4

Need to use KUAL booklet from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=304
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #64
homeceo43
Connoisseur
homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.homeceo43 will give the Devil his due.

Device: Meebook P78 Pro, Likebook P6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
PSA for PW4

Thank you!!!! KUAL is now working.
homeceo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #65
bsanh
bsanh began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I have a question: i have just bought a kindle paperwhite 3 . However, it’s firmware 5.9.6.1
It means I can’t jailbreak it now?
bsanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 02:03 AM   #66
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
It is interesting if the factory 5.10.0.2 is applicable for 5.10.0.1 devices?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #67
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm sure I did Steps 1 through 5 correctly. The issue is installing Python 2.7 and the ScreenSavers Hack.

I thought Python installed correctly, so I deleted the file (kindle-python-0.15.N-r15529.tar.xz) from the root directory and replaced it with another file (kindle-linkss-0.25.N-r15529.tar.xz). I then searched for ;installHtml and expected a hacked screensaver confirmation and creation of a linkss folder. But that didn't happen.

Here's what I see in explorer after installing Python 2.7 and then installing the ScreenSaver hack.

Ammonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #68
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
First, the update packages (bin files) need to be extracted from those archives you downloaded (tar.xz). Second, they need to be installed with MRPI (mobileread package installer).

Go to the snapshots thread, download the MR Package Installer and extract the contents to the root of your Kindle. You should have two new folders: extensions and mrpackages.

Extract the bin files from the tar.xz archives and place them in the mrpackages folder. Enter this in the search bar:

;log mrpi

If you need a program to extract the contents of those archives, try 7zip.

The python and linkss packages you extract should be:
Update_linkss_0.25.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3_koa2.bin
Update_python_0.15.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt 3_koa2.bin

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-18-2018 at 05:23 AM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 AM   #69
fbmob
fbmob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Just tried to jailbreak again with a fully configured kindle that was still running 5.10.0.1 and it worked flawlessly.
So for me there was no need for a brand new device, nor for factory resetting before jailbreaking.
fbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #70
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
PSA for PW4

I just wanted to, again, say thank you to everyone who keeps hacking the kindles and making them so much better. With that said, I'm having issues with this latest jailbreak.

I follow the first post instructions and successfully jailbroke my factory 5.10.0.1, installed the hotfix, then upgraded to 5.10.1.2. I am now trying to get KUAL to load and cannot. I tried to just transfer KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 to the documents folder. The book did not show up in the list. So I then read your post saying to use the KUAL booklet from that thread link. I copied Update_KUALBooklet_d20a095_install.bin to the root of the Kindle and it persistently disappears. UYK is greyed out. I see folks talking about using the ;log mrpi , but I haven't done that before and I'm not sure if that's what I should be doing for this install. I haven't installed MRPI as before I thought I installed it with KUAL. Please, can someone point me in the right next step?
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #71
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape314 View Post
I copied Update_KUALBooklet_d20a095_install.bin to the root of the Kindle and it persistently disappears. UYK is greyed out. I see folks talking about using the ;log mrpi , but I haven't done that before and I'm not sure if that's what I should be doing for this install. I haven't installed MRPI as before I thought I installed it with KUAL. Please, can someone point me in the right next step?

You have to use MRPI to install that. My instructions a few posts up applies.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #72
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape314 View Post
I follow the first post instructions and successfully jailbroke my factory 5.10.0.1, installed the hotfix, then upgraded to 5.10.1.2. I am now trying to get KUAL to load and cannot. I tried to just transfer KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 to the documents folder. The book did not show up in the list. So I then read your post saying to use the KUAL booklet from that thread link. I copied Update_KUALBooklet_d20a095_install.bin to the root of the Kindle and it persistently disappears. UYK is greyed out. I see folks talking about using the ;log mrpi , but I haven't done that before and I'm not sure if that's what I should be doing for this install. I haven't installed MRPI as before I thought I installed it with KUAL. Please, can someone point me in the right next step?
Amazon removed kindlet support in 5.9.x so the azw2 doesn't work. You need to use MRPI (;log mrpi).

Follow JimmyR's instructions in an earlier post for how to install and use MRPI.

coplate's KUAL booklet d20a095 is the correct version to use. The one from the first post in NiLuJe's snapshots thread would just give a blank screen.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #73
Escape314
Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Escape314 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paper White, Android app
Thank you Thank you. I followed your instructions and they worked. I have KUAL up and running and when I get home, I'm going to try to get KindleLazy working.

I re looked at the snapshots thread and MRPI still listed as a KUAL extension and following that to MRPI thread, the install still says to use KUAL.. so sorry I was dense, but I was trying to follow along. I do appreciate all the help.
Escape314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #74
__Claire__
__Claire__ began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Era
Thank you !

the jailbreak worked like a charm, but I didn't go any further for the moment because I couldn't install the hotfix... I guess that's because so far it is "packaged for devices with serial numbers G000T6 and G000PP" and mine is G000 T209... Anyway, I actually get an error message when I disconnect my kindle.

I'll refrain from installing Kual-booklet and Mrpi until I have a working hotfix

(and yes, I know you are all doing this in your spare time, and am very, very grateful. I have all the time in the world)
__Claire__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #75
Ammonite
Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.Ammonite has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
First, the update packages (bin files) need to be extracted from those archives you downloaded (tar.xz). Second, they need to be installed with MRPI (mobileread package installer).

If you need a program to extract the contents of those archives, try 7zip.
Oh wow, I didn't extract any of the tar.xz archives (The factory firmware, the jailbreak, etc). I just dragged and dropped each tar.xz into the root directory and did ;installHtml (the PW4 rebooted and installed and I saw the ebook 'congratulations this is jailbroken').

Should I redo the factory firmware and jailbreak install the way you instructed, with extraction and MRPI, before attempting Python and ScreenSaver?

Last edited by Ammonite; 11-18-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Ammonite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw4